VOGONS

First post, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What do you guys think would cause this kind of damage to a motherboard?

Motherboard is an epox 440bx. The cpu was a P3 600e Coppermine.

I turned it on after installing a sound card and I smelt that dreaded smell we all fear...

Attachments

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 5 of 13, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2022-07-16, 07:11:

Metal screws with no isolating washers between them and the PCB?

No there are isolating washers.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 6 of 13, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think when my soldering skills improve I will attempt to repair this. I think if I'm tedious and careful I can use copper foil tape and fix this.

Reply 7 of 13, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now that I think about it, I bet that screw on the top left maybe shorted on the chassis somehow. Maybe touched when on and caused the short.

Reply 8 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sly_Botts wrote on 2022-07-17, 01:31:

Now that I think about it, I bet that screw on the top left maybe shorted on the chassis somehow. Maybe touched when on and caused the short.

Could be ! Maybe the painted coating was not enough on those black screws. Those do not look like original Slot-1 retention parts but aftermarket.
Most of my Slot-1 boards use a Nylon/plastic fastener for the original socket retention part and some with brass screws but they are built different with insulated plastic inserts.
They make those red fiber washers for using on the top of boards but maybe should have been used on the bottom for these screws too... just thinking out loud... 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 13, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2022-07-17, 02:46:
Could be ! Maybe the painted coating was not enough on those black screws. Those do not look like original Slot-1 retention par […]
Show full quote
Sly_Botts wrote on 2022-07-17, 01:31:

Could be ! Maybe the painted coating was not enough on those black screws. Those do not look like original Slot-1 retention parts but aftermarket.
Most of my Slot-1 boards use a Nylon/plastic fastener for the original socket retention part and some with brass screws but they are built different with insulated plastic inserts.
They make those red fiber washers for using on the top of boards but maybe should have been used on the bottom for these screws too... just thinking out loud... 😀

Possibly, though an Epox / slot 1 image seach on UR suggests that the black screws may have been used on at least some of these boards. As a comparison, my Supermico slot 1 boards (all I believe wirh original retention brackets) use an 'identical' part - black metal screws with a separate but captive black plastic insulating washer.

Reply 10 of 13, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trace repair complete! I used enamel coated magnetic wire. BNTECHGO 30 AWG Magnet Wire - Enameled Copper Wire - 0.0098" Diameter - Natural Temperature Rating 155℃

Southbridge is now getting power. Chassis fan port working again. Fan on AGP card working again but no picture. I think I will try this with a PCI card when it comes in the mail. If it posts fine, I will know something is up with the AGP slot.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So was it the slot screw?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 12 of 13, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-07-30, 05:36:

So was it the slot screw?

No there is plastic between the Screw and pcb.