VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 45600 of 52354, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2022-07-15, 14:03:
It looks dirty and corroded. A thorough clean and dousing in contact cleaner might help. And whats that mess in the CPU socket? […]
Show full quote
LewisRaz wrote on 2022-07-15, 13:53:
Picked up this 486 motherboard from ebay. Its not on ultimateretro.net. […]
Show full quote

Picked up this 486 motherboard from ebay.
Its not on ultimateretro.net.

Dated March 97!

Most of the basic jumper settings are silk screened on but I still cant get any cpu to boot with it and cant find the settings for the remaining jumpers.

Anyone able to find anything? Its an ALD PCI 5433

s-l1600-3.jpg

It looks dirty and corroded.
A thorough clean and dousing in contact cleaner might help.
And whats that mess in the CPU socket? =)
2 tantalums and 2 electrolytics sharing the same pads?

Its filthy but not correded anywhere. Postcard is showing all the voltages are right just getting a braindead ---- which is indicative of the cpu being set up wrong 😀

And yes, they are sharing the same pads, and it doesnt look like its been messed with. What a madness 😁

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 45601 of 52354, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LewisRaz wrote on 2022-07-15, 14:14:
It looks dirty and corroded. A thorough clean and dousing in contact cleaner might help. And whats that mess in the CPU socket? […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Dated March 97!

Most of the basic jumper settings are silk screened on but I still cant get any cpu to boot with it and cant find the settings for the remaining jumpers.

s-l1600-3.jpg

Its filthy but not correded anywhere. Postcard is showing all the voltages are right just getting a braindead ---- which is indicative of the cpu being set up wrong 😀

And yes, they are sharing the same pads, and it doesnt look like its been messed with. What a madness 😁

Do you have a bios battery installed? There are quite a few motherboards that will either act dead or behave weirdly with a missing,dead,or low bios battery.

Reply 45602 of 52354, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-07-15, 14:52:
Show full quote

Do you have a bios battery installed? There are quite a few motherboards that will either act dead or behave weirdly with a missing,dead,or low bios battery.

Yes, battery installed 😀

Twitter

Reply 45603 of 52354, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LewisRaz wrote on 2022-07-15, 15:00:

Yes, battery installed 😀

Good I've seen that trip up people in the past. It's gotten me more times than I care to admit.

Have you tried different CPUs and ram?

Reply 45604 of 52354, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-07-15, 15:02:
LewisRaz wrote on 2022-07-15, 15:00:

Yes, battery installed 😀

Good I've seen that trip up people in the past. It's gotten me more times than I care to admit.

Have you tried different CPUs and ram?

Ive tried 3-4 different combos of ram. (all known working)
Ive tried all the 33mhz CPUs I have (You can see the board was previously set for 33mhz @3.3v) including:
amd dx4
amd 5x86
intel dx2 @ 5v

Twitter

Reply 45605 of 52354, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-15, 12:14:

The ASUS P2B-D Rev 1.06 D03 Arrived today and once I give it a quick test run Ill be doing the mod detailed here Asus P2B-DS Rev 1.06 FSB Modification to it. Got a nice pair of PIII 667 CPUs for it along with a Voodoo5 5500, should be a fun Win2k/XP system.

Would have loved the SCSI version but the non SCSI board is pretty rare and the SCSI version even more so, anyone have a good recommended PCI SCSI card to pair with this board?. (I guess Sata Raid is also and option with a pair of Velociraptors or SSD)

Will do a bigger write up of the build when I get it modded and setup.

No real reason for SCSI or RAID. Since you are using 2k/XP, just get a SATA II, 300 card and use an SSD. Going to be faster than SCSI or spinning rust RAID.

You'll still be limited by the PCI bus, so probably around 120MB/s but of course the seek times will be almost non-existent so it will be fine.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 45606 of 52354, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, how many ports can you get on a PCI SATA RAID card? 'coz for older machines you could just collect up cheap/free small SSDs and glom them together in 0 or JBOD

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 45607 of 52354, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got myself a GTS450 1GB GDDR5 for my XP rig. I always found this card weirdly alluring for some reason.

IMG_20220715_165403.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220715_165403.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So far it's running, the drivers (version 296.10) are installed 47-48C° idle which is very nice compared to the 8800GT. It's supposed to have 30% lower TDP while 25% more performance, so I gain back as much if not more more than I lost by downgrading from the 8800 Ultra. The GTS450 also has a VGA output so I can use it without a DVI adapter with my KVM switch or a CRT. On the downside, my XP rig is no longer period correct.

8800GT FAN Control.png
Filename
8800GT FAN Control.png
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20220715_165313.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220715_165313.jpg
File size
1.54 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So this weekend I'll be testing if it has any issues. I'll be also curious about the temps under load. With the 8800GT I needed very aggressive fan control to keep it below 80C° which made it very noisy. The card also supposed to be a good overclocker. I have no plans for OC, but it's good to know.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 45608 of 52354, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-07-15, 15:51:

Hmmm, how many ports can you get on a PCI SATA RAID card? 'coz for older machines you could just collect up cheap/free small SSDs and glom them together in 0 or JBOD

I think I can get a 4 port card for Sata, its limited by the PCI bus and if you use all 4 ports its even more limited for RAID purposes, I do wonder if using two cards would work to spread the bandwidth around a bit then use 2K to setup a raid via Windows rather than using hardware Raid. The idea is growing on me as I have a bunch of 60gb SSD drives in the spares box .. at 60gb they are not useful for modern systems but strung together in software raid they would be perfectly fine for 2K/XP.

The board has plenty of PCI slots free since there wont be anything using them.

Reply 45609 of 52354, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-15, 16:45:
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-07-15, 15:51:

I think I can get a 4 port card for Sata, its limited by the PCI bus and if you use all 4 ports its even more limited for RAID purposes, I do wonder if using two cards would work to spread the bandwidth around a bit then use 2K to setup a raid via Windows rather than using hardware Raid. The idea is growing on me as I have a bunch of 60gb SSD drives in the spares box .. at 60gb they are not useful for modern systems but strung together in software raid they would be perfectly fine for 2K/XP.

The board has plenty of PCI slots free since there wont be anything using them.

That's an interesting thought and would probably be worth testing out and seeing what the benchmarks show and how the systems performance feels overall.

Reply 45612 of 52354, by myrsnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my way to pickup a fresh in box Fujitsu Siemens C700 17" CRT. You guys in the state probably won't understand but finding something like this in a small country like Norway is next to impossible, need to go on eBay for something like this and pay a ton of shipping.

Reply 45614 of 52354, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
myrsnipe wrote on 2022-07-16, 08:00:

On my way to pickup a fresh in box Fujitsu Siemens C700 17" CRT. You guys in the state probably won't understand but finding something like this in a small country like Norway is next to impossible, need to go on eBay for something like this and pay a ton of shipping.

What did Norway do with all their CRTs? It's not just in the states, but in most countries generic CRTs are mostly given away for free or their price is something like 15€ at worst unless they are some super nice high refresh rate 1600×1200 monitors.

Reply 45615 of 52354, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-07-16, 09:14:

What did Norway do with all their CRTs? It's not just in the states, but in most countries generic CRTs are mostly given away for free or their price is something like 15€ at worst unless they are some super nice high refresh rate 1600×1200 monitors.

just like most countries most of them got probably thrown away into a landfill or empty warehouse somewhere in big piles... it's a shame 🙁
probably shipped on to some poorer countries to make it "their problem".

Reply 45616 of 52354, by myrsnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Speaking of throwing away, when i picked up the crt the guy told me he had thrown away 100kg of old 90s computers this week while cleaning, only stopping at the crt because it was still in its box. My heart sank a little, but he gave me a goody bag of Pentium 2,3, Celeron and some AMD CPUs as a freebie as well as some ram sticks that he had missed.

Attachments

• DSC_0177.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0177.JPG
    File size
    895.37 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Still in the box
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 45617 of 52354, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
myrsnipe wrote on 2022-07-16, 13:41:

Speaking of throwing away, when i picked up the crt the guy told me he had thrown away 100kg of old 90s computers this week while cleaning, only stopping at the crt because it was still in its box. My heart sank a little, but he gave me a goody bag of Pentium 2,3, Celeron and some AMD CPUs as a freebie as well as some ram sticks that he had missed.

Sort of happened to me too. A friend of mine, or more like a good acquaintance told me a couple of months ago he used to fix PCs as a side gig and his basement was full of 90s hardware. Key word is was. The previous year he threw away everything. I almost cried.

Reply 45618 of 52354, by iPonRMA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote

Dated March 97!

s-l1600-3.jpg

In our shop we was sold many of this motherboard. Unfortunately i didnt have any of this yet. As i remember it was quite unstable low cost motherboard. Often suffered from BIOS corruption, we had spare EPROM ICs containt the BIOS dump. As i remember this one wasnt a fast thing, the Octek DCA2 was way faster, but maybe we did not check it enough, the Celeron 300A overclock to 504 or more was more interesting at that time. I suggest to check that board with Intel 486DX50 CPU (not the DX2 one) if possible, if not, AMD 486DX40 with POST card in ISA slot - if you have. FPM memory also recommended instead of EDO.

Reply 45619 of 52354, by MarkP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up an NComputing thingy which allows anther user login to an XP system being used by another user with different monitor, keyboard and mouse.. Haven't currently got an XP boxen set up at the moment.

ALso picked up a beige two port KVM switch to connect a couple of Ye Olde 486DSX2/66 systems to a single monitor, keyboard and mouse. One of the 486s has OS/3 v3 on it and one a primarily Dos testing set up with WfW 3.11, and various PC Geos version installations as well as other goodies on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220717_164622.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220717_164622.jpg
    File size
    238.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20220717_164611.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220717_164611.jpg