VOGONS

Toshiba T5200 mods and upgrades

Topic actions

Reply 480 of 534, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah right it might be that IRQ 2/9 thing ... something wacky with system timer messes up video IRQ.... or not.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 481 of 534, by shimart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm bidding on eBay.
Seller doesn't know the password.
Is there any way to pass the password of T5200?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    143.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 482 of 534, by 16ShadesOfOrange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shimart wrote on 2022-05-01, 23:49:

I'm bidding on eBay.
Seller doesn't know the password.
Is there any way to pass the password of T5200?

That password is on the OS. Looks like linux. You should be able to just boot another OS eg from floppy.

The T5200 does not have any BIOS or boot password options.

💻 Toshiba T5200 info
💻 Toshiba T3200SX info
💻 Toshiba T3200 info

Reply 483 of 534, by andromeda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ConventionalMemories wrote on 2020-12-26, 01:57:
Sure, I understand that my card isn't a solution for everyone. […]
Show full quote
ediflorianUS wrote on 2020-12-25, 21:01:

Thank you for your suggestions , but for me its not worth 37euros. (I prefer to spend that money on half of year of insurance on my car)
And I have about 25 hdd on IDE that theoretically I can test . I know that larger one will go without a hitch , problem is I waist about 99.9 % of it (using 40-100mbs). A software solution would be preferable . Bios is Award Revision 00 - date : 10/04 ,88 (at least that what I get from IBM DOS system checking....)

Sure, I understand that my card isn't a solution for everyone.

I actually remember having IDE issues on one of my T3100e's, I don't exactly remember what I was trying to accomplish. But I do remember that the issue was related to the BIOS version.
I think I ended up fixing it by switching the BIOS from V3.00 (1988) to V4.00 (1990).
(You can see the version number in the Toshiba "Test3" utility)
I don't know if these are available for downloading anywhere, but if you can't find it I'd be happy to make a dump and upload it here for you.
I don't know if that will fix your particular issue but it might be worth a try.

Hi,
Do you know where I can download version 4.0 of the bios for the toshiba T3100e,
because I did not find it, if you can dump the v4.0 that would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Reply 484 of 534, by JonF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have a T5200 & installed a TI 485 SXL2-50 but it only runs at 20mhz. I thought this was to be clock doubled and run at 40mhz? I have tried with and without the little riser board the CPU came with. (which I think enables the cache)

Attachments

• IMG_6381.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6381.jpg
    File size
    771.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 485 of 534, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JonF wrote on 2022-07-13, 02:07:

Hi, I have a T5200 & installed a TI 485 SXL2-50 but it only runs at 20mhz. I thought this was to be clock doubled and run at 40mhz? I have tried with and without the little riser board the CPU came with. (which I think enables the cache)

It might actually matter, do you run Ians modded bios on your unit?

I use this bios and run the CX486DRx2 on mine and it runs at 20/40 without issues.

Toshiba T5200 mods and upgrades

Reply 486 of 534, by JonF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, that was it. I installed the Hi-mem bios 5.3. Processor runs at 40mhz now. However, my computer no longer detects the internal hard drive, only the CF card in the XT-IDE ISA card. I suspect the XT-IDE ISA card BIOS is conflicting with the T5200 modded BIOS.

Attachments

Reply 487 of 534, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes its probably conflicting using the current settings. Can you reconfigure it?

I run ians xt-ide enabled bios + conventional memories xt-ide unit (for the proprietary Toshiba slot) and they work fine together (but i think C.M said that he explicitly configured it to not collide)

Reply 488 of 534, by JonF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I went and removed the XT-IDE deluxe ISA card completely and the system doesn't boot from the C: drive. It says "Bad or missing command interpreter" If I boot from the A: drive, I can access a directory listing of the C: drive, but get errors anytime I try to run a program.

Putting the stock BIOS back in, the C: hard disk boots fine. The CPU upgrade just runs at the slow 20mhz speed.

Reply 489 of 534, by 16ShadesOfOrange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, picked up a T5200C for parts. It's not POSTing so the mainboard might be toast. The caps on the LCD converter board have made a huge mess - not sure if it's redeemable.

• Anyone know if you can use the T5200C LCD display on a plasma T5200 and vice versa? The connector looks the same.
  • Is anyone able to confirm the 24V rail of their PSU for me (while the plasma screen is on)? My plasma's not working properly, and the manual says the PSU should be showing 24V - but I'm guessing this is only engaged when plasma screen is on and functioning correctly.

💻 Toshiba T5200 info
💻 Toshiba T3200SX info
💻 Toshiba T3200 info

Reply 490 of 534, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
16ShadesOfOrange wrote on 2022-08-07, 11:56:
  • Anyone know if you can use the T5200C LCD display on a plasma T5200 and vice versa? The connector looks the same.

First of all - brilliant nickname. Secondly, I can't help with your questions, as I do not have T5200 in either version now. However, I used to and want to share small interesting fact that may (or may not) be of use to you or for someone else reading this thread in the future. For sure the plasma screen is interchangeable between Toshiba T3200 and Toshiba T5200 - I know it because I tested such swap myself.

Reply 491 of 534, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
16ShadesOfOrange wrote on 2022-08-07, 11:56:
Hi all, picked up a T5200C for parts. It's not POSTing so the mainboard might be toast. The caps on the LCD converter board have […]
Show full quote

Hi all, picked up a T5200C for parts. It's not POSTing so the mainboard might be toast. The caps on the LCD converter board have made a huge mess - not sure if it's redeemable.

• Is anyone able to confirm the 24V rail of their PSU for me (while the plasma screen is on)? My plasma's not working properly, and the manual says the PSU should be showing 24V - but I'm guessing this is only engaged when plasma screen is on and functioning correctly.

Reminds me... I need to recap mine asap. Anyone know of a caps kit, or a list of the capacitors the T5200 takes? Would save me opening it up, writing the values down before ordering them.

Reply 492 of 534, by 16ShadesOfOrange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@OldCat thanks, I actually meant will a T5200C LCD work on a standard T5200 ? Eg I want to test the T5200C LCD on my standard T5200, and my plasma display on my T5200C, but I don't want to kill anything!

@Hamby I'm gonna recap the T5200C inverter board so I'll let you know the caps for that at least. Some detailed pics in my sig of boards which might help.

💻 Toshiba T5200 info
💻 Toshiba T3200SX info
💻 Toshiba T3200 info

Reply 493 of 534, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
16ShadesOfOrange wrote on 2022-08-11, 11:02:

@OldCat thanks, I actually meant will a T5200C LCD work on a standard T5200 ? Eg I want to test the T5200C LCD on my standard T5200, and my plasma display on my T5200C, but I don't want to kill anything!

@Hamby I'm gonna recap the T5200C inverter board so I'll let you know the caps for that at least. Some detailed pics in my sig of boards which might help.

Thanks!

Reply 494 of 534, by uscleo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
16ShadesOfOrange wrote on 2022-08-11, 11:02:

Just stumbled across this thread...I have a 5200c and a 5200 and the gas plasma and color LCD panels are interchangeable, no problems swapping them and you don't need to change any BIOS settings. However, my color panel has a bit of an issue (or maybe it's supposed to be this way?) - on both machines (5200 and 5200C), using the color panel, in text mode the colors come out just fine, but in VGA the color palette is all messed up, e.g., in Windows default the background is bright green, and all the elements look a bit off color wise, and in DOS VGA mode, (e.g., Doom) the colors are also messed up. But the issue disappears on both machines (all things look normal) when using the plasma panel. Not sure what's wrong with it.

Reply 495 of 534, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got myself a very clean T3200SX some time ago with 40MB hard drive. Everything works. Ordered UV eraser so I can flash new bios in there and use bigger HDD.

But this weekend I'm gonna take my T5200 apart and try to swap oscillator from 40MHz to 50MHz to do some overclocking with that 486SXL2-40...

Reply 496 of 534, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FYI:

25MHz FSB is too much, no picture at all. So no overclocking.

I know this CPU gives picture @60MHz.

Attachments

Reply 497 of 534, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Someone interested in 2MB and 8MB 40pin SIMM memory kits? Nothing is ready yet. Just scouting before I make any PWB & chip orders because these are not cheap. Also have to repair my test bench first, no RAMs without it.

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 498 of 534, by JonF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JonF wrote on 2022-07-19, 04:33:

Yep, that was it. I installed the Hi-mem bios 5.3. Processor runs at 40mhz now. However, my computer no longer detects the internal hard drive, only the CF card in the XT-IDE ISA card. I suspect the XT-IDE ISA card BIOS is conflicting with the T5200 modded BIOS.

I wanted to follow up on my post. I was able to get my CPU to run clock doubled and also run a original BIOS (5.3) using the utility below. My 486-SXL2 has a little riser socket that I figured must be to some aftermarket upgrade kit, and via pictures online it best matched up to an Evergreen kit.

https://www.ardent-tool.com/CPU/REVto486.exe

Reply 499 of 534, by TheFloppyDoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I am working on one of these disk drives.
I have it working, but the disk insertion side of it seems to be erratic (Running through a Greaseweazle device for the Commodore Amiga).

Could you please look at this footage and tell me what the cause is? It starts at 31:53.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=h3Cfk1uXQgc&feature=shares

I am using a 34 to 26 pin converter.
Also running it on a Windows machine it comes up with 'No disk inserted in drive' error.

I am looking through all your notes and think it's something to do with this:

"Connect a 1N5818 schottky diode between pin 1 (ready) and pin 11 (Motor on) with the banded end towards pin 11"

Would I need to do this or am I looking at something wrong?
All three cspacitors have been replaced and everything re-greased & heads are aligned ok now.

Thanks, Ant