VOGONS

Reply 80 of 86, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most feared: Despite I never damaged any, I don't like the part when I have to put a heatsink onto an unlided Coppermine.

Most hated: Finding documentation about jumper settings on obscure 30 years old mainboards.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 81 of 86, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-07-25, 11:14:

Most feared: Despite I never damaged any, I don't like the part when I have to put a heatsink onto an unlided Coppermine.

Most hated: Finding documentation about jumper settings on obscure 30 years old mainboards.

I wonder if anyone has designed a shim that one could put on top of unlidded P3s and Athlons that essentially raises the surface of the cpu enough to prevent damage to the core but still allows enough heatsink pressure to be applied. I know AMD used to have little sticky pads on later Athlons that would stop miss alignment of heatsinks and reduce the chance of damaging the core.

Might be something you could do with 3d printing, I know I would happily buy such a shim.

Reply 82 of 86, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-25, 11:17:

I wonder if anyone has designed a shim that one could put on top of unlidded P3s and Athlons that essentially raises the surface of the cpu enough to prevent damage to the core but still allows enough heatsink pressure to be applied. I know AMD used to have little sticky pads on later Athlons that would stop miss alignment of heatsinks and reduce the chance of damaging the core.

Might be something you could do with 3d printing, I know I would happily buy such a shim.

There are shims available for Athlons. I have a few. They are good for Coppermine and earlier P3s as well. Rarely see them for sale though.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 83 of 86, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-25, 11:17:

They used to sell copper shims you would place into the CPU to help protect the CPU dye. I have one on my sons socket A system. It helps but its still a nerve-wracking procedure.

Reply 84 of 86, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hated: disconnecting an ATX PSU 20/24-pin plug (9 out of 10 cases the plastic just won't let go without hurting your fingers);
Feared: connecting an ATX PSU 20/24-pin plug (the mobo is getting visibly bent - unless you put something sturdy between it and the case).

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 85 of 86, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most feared: Flashing the bios on an old mobo. It shouldn't scare me as much as it does, but I'm always terrified it will go sideways and brick my increasingly rare and expensive piece of hardware. I feel like there are so few mobos compared to all the other parts needed for a retro system.

Most hated: Cracking open an older case and worming my way through all the fat parallel cables so I can swap out a graphics card or a sound card.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 86 of 86, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-25, 01:28:
Baoran wrote on 2022-07-25, 01:22:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-25, 00:09:

At which point your problem hunting skills should kick in and you start removing parts till you find the part that is causing the problem, usually its only one of a few parts that will cause problems. (Unless its the PSU .. because its always the last thing you suspect)

Process of elimination !

That is not the problem. In last 3 cases it ended up being the motherboard, but since the motherboard is the part that you build your system around and you might have been looking for that specific motherboard for a year or more it basically prevents you from finishing it.

as much as that situation sucks you did at least find the issue no ?

That said .. like hell I would let a specific motherboard stop me from finishing any build, motherboards can be changed/switched as there will always be another just as capable board out there. (And as always that specific motherboard will pop up again on Evilbay, I'm looking at you ASUS Rampage Extreme !, though I do have two of them now)

Sometimes you just want to have a motherboard with very specific features. Like last time I was looking for a motherboard with VIA Apollo Pro 133T chipset and it also having an ISA slot for ISA sound card. There are not too many of those around.