VOGONS

First post, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe I'm just not using the right search terms, but there has to be some kind of file browser out there that runs in 320x200 (or 240) video mode, right??

Nothing fancy, just something similar to DOSShell or Norton Commander. It would be very useful for things like CRT televisions, or DOS emulators on low-resolution handhelds, to be able to browse through folders and run games/apps without an entire keyboard (even if it doesn't load back up when you quit the game).
Bonus points if it can run on DSx86 for the Nintendo DS, but I'm not holding my breath.

The closest I've been able to find are frontends for DOSBox. I need something that actually runs inside real (or emulated) DOS.

Alternatively, maybe a driver to run something like GEM in low resolution? I did find one link that has a driver for FreeGEM for CGA or VGA, but I'm having some issues getting that version to install/run in DOSBox, so I'm going to have to keep working on that one: https://www.z80cpu.eu/mirrors/www.seasip.demo … vers/video.html
OpenGEM I've got working fine, but those drivers don't seem to work with it.

Reply 1 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, good evening! Windows 3.x can run in MCGA resolution, for example. .
There's an experimental driver. 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvu65KCkd3Y

Attachments

• PIC_0022.JPG
    Filename
    PIC_0022.JPG
    File size
    352.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good luck! 🙂🤞
The driver is part of Windows 3.0 with Multimedia Extensions 1.0.
Works in both Standard Mode and Enhanced Mode of Windows 3.x.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 11, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I did eventually get GEM running properly in 320x200 VGA (albiet with some slight glitches in the splash screen of GEM3), so that's fun.
Works fine in PC DOSBox.
Probably works fine in real DOS too, but did not test.
Did not test Wii DOSBox.
DSx86, if I try running a game through it (just tested with Duke Nukum real quick), it crashes back to GEM with what looks like a "not enough memory" error. It flashes a little too quickly to read. I'm a little surprised that it actually almost worked.
Nintendo 3DS port of DOSBox, it crashes back to GEM, but I couldn't see any kind of error message.

I might try posting in the LaunchBox thread and seeing if the author might be able to add support for 320x200 mode(s)...but I doubt I'll get an answer.
However I did coincidentally notice, in that thread, some ASM code for manually switching video modes, and I downloaded NASM and compiled a COM for each mode (mode 0D being the most useful at the moment). This at least gives me a good starting point with a readable DOS prompt...doesn't solve the "minimal keyboard" issue, but at least it's -something-. (pretty sure I have another program somewhere that can do this, though)

Reply 5 of 11, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not 100% ideal, but for now, I've cooked up a BAT file that will automatically run MODE0D, run games (or whatever), PAUSE on exit (so you can read games that have custom quit messages), then return to page 1 of the launcher.

Attachments

• dos2.png
    Filename
    dos2.png
    File size
    9.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MODE0D ? is that the same as running " mode co40 "?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 11, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

mode 0Dh = graphics, 320x200, 16 colors

"MODE CO40" sets mode 01h = text, 40x25, 16 colors

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 8 of 11, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2022-07-25, 13:19:

MODE0D ? is that the same as running " mode co40 "?

Nope.
MODE0D: 320x200 16 color graphics (EGA,VGA)
Your command just changes the number of columns, not the screen resolution.

I can upload these if you want to play with them. Like I said, I'm pretty sure there are other programs that can do this (I think ANSI can as well?), this was just faster than digging out hard drives.

CLS will reset back to the default mode.

Attachments

• Filename
    mode.zip
    File size
    6.01 KiB
    Downloads
    74 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 11, by torafuma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if you are looking for something a little bit more graphical, but I have been using this "LaunchBox for MS-DOS" (here - New MS-DOS Games Launcher / Menu System App, or in the LauchBox Forums - https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/9 … pecial-edition/) for some time on all of my Pure DOS Boxes. Personally I have it added to the end of my autoexec.bat, so it launches at startup for me.

Reply 10 of 11, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
torafuma wrote on 2022-07-25, 18:08:

Not sure if you are looking for something a little bit more graphical, but I have been using this "LaunchBox for MS-DOS"...

I've tried this one before, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't have a 320x200 mode.

Reply 11 of 11, by torafuma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Asaki wrote on 2022-07-25, 18:29:
torafuma wrote on 2022-07-25, 18:08:

Not sure if you are looking for something a little bit more graphical, but I have been using this "LaunchBox for MS-DOS"...

I've tried this one before, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't have a 320x200 mode.

My Bad... missed the "320x200 mode"! 😜