VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a problem with this card and my IBM PC 330 6577, I hope someone can help me.
I would like to put a more powerful video card than the current one.
ATI RADEON 7000 64mb , i insert it into the PC, I turn on the PC, I see the IBM symbol on the screen and the memory check, once the check is finished, black screen, windows 98 does not start and you hear two beeps.
I turned off the machine and turned it back on, windows started up, but very slowly (Just once, then it starts up fast). I installed the drivers (drivers installed correctly and windows detects fully functional video card and actually works without problems), but every time I reboot, black screen and 2 beeps.
The bios detects the video card, but says it has 0 memory. Card too new for my motherboard or damaged?
Windows does not detect conflicts or problems ....

I started one of the 80's music videos, unlike before, which at first the video was not smooth it went a bit jerky, and only then it played back smoothly. Now the video plays smoothly right out of the box.

I did a Norton Diagnostic test on the Video Card. It did not detect any problems.
Now I don't understand, however, why if I restart the machine, everything stops and gives two beeps, forcing me to spend the machine manually.
I made some videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zHDfiMBV_Q
I made another video. With the matrox mystique 220 card, the PC works. Then I put the ATI and this time it wouldn't start. I restarted it at some point by pressing Control + Alt + Del, same problem. Always 2 beeps and black screen.
The BIos does not detect the ram of the video card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnPirtpwqXY
I have also asked elsewhere, maybe it is an incompatibility problem.

Reply 4 of 13, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Already tried, it didn't work! 🙁
I also unplugged all the other cards and left just the video card connected. Nothing, the problem persists!
I can not understand, yet at the beginning when I turn on the PC, it does not give problems, I can also enter the bios! Yet when windows start, black screen! Or when I reboot.
Indeed, now I must also say that no more windows 98 starts. After the initial loading and memory check, black screen and its beeps.

Reply 6 of 13, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried them all, unplugged all cards and kept only the video card connected.
I removed two memory slots, but nothing, the problem remains.
I should get another video card ... maybe .... I can't ...

Reply 7 of 13, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes late generation PCI cards don't work on old PCs. However that shouldn't be a problem here, as the Radeon 7000 is from 2001.

Some video cards just don't work with certain motherboards. I've encountered this with known-good boards and cards.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 8 of 13, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have had an experience where two otherwise identical video cards behaved differently in an older system. One would post but the other one would appear to be dead; but only in that motherboard. They both worked fine elsewhere.

Sometimes it's a ghost in the machine.

Two FX 5500s but only one works in my 440EX

Reply 9 of 13, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have never got my Sparkle GeForce 8500GT PCI cards to work with my GA-X58A-UD5 board. Every other PCI video card works in this board, and the cards (I have 2) work in other machines. Just this particular combination of card and board doesn't work. (Computer refuses to POST with the card connected.)

(Someone upthread suggesting getting a second card, which is always a good idea if the price is right. Having two of everything greatly simplifies debugging of faults. I also have two 64MB Sapphire 7000s, but I have never tried them on anything older than a P2 system.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 10 of 13, by RetroOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got a new Sapphire Radeon 7000 64MB PCI and works 100% fine on a 486 DX2-66 machine and Windows 95, however when I do an OS reboot, or even exit the bios, there is no display on screen.
If I do a hard reset then the video signal comes back. (VGA/DVI ports both behave the same way)

I tried the card in all 3 PCI slots but the problem remains the same.

Has anyone experience this before?

Reply 11 of 13, by GuillermoXT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RetroOne wrote on 2022-09-17, 09:03:
I just got a new Sapphire Radeon 7000 64MB PCI and works 100% fine on a 486 DX2-66 machine and Windows 95, however when I do an […]
Show full quote

I just got a new Sapphire Radeon 7000 64MB PCI and works 100% fine on a 486 DX2-66 machine and Windows 95, however when I do an OS reboot, or even exit the bios, there is no display on screen.
If I do a hard reset then the video signal comes back. (VGA/DVI ports both behave the same way)

Do you have the same issue using the ATI in a Pentium 1/2/3 or AMD K6/-2/-3 machine?

My Retrosystems:
PIII on GA-6BA running Win98SE
AMD K6 233 on GA-586HX with Win95
Tandon 286-8MHZ Running DOS 6.22 on XTIDE-CF
M326 486DLC + 4c87dlc (Dos+Win3.11)
ECS UM4980 AMD DX2 80 5V (Dos & Win3.11)

Reply 12 of 13, by RetroOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GuillermoXT wrote on 2022-09-17, 20:14:
RetroOne wrote on 2022-09-17, 09:03:
I just got a new Sapphire Radeon 7000 64MB PCI and works 100% fine on a 486 DX2-66 machine and Windows 95, however when I do an […]
Show full quote

Do you have the same issue using the ATI in a Pentium 1/2/3 or AMD K6/-2/-3 machine?

On Asus P2B/P3-550 I don't experience this issue.

Reply 13 of 13, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, before putting it back in the box, I discovered that the only operating system that can use this card is Windows 95. The only problem is restarting Windows, in fact if I restart the PC it freezes on a black screen, forcing me to turn it off manually.
BUT if you never reboot, Windows 95 works fine. From windows 98 onwards, the card does not work. The PC turns on, but the operating system does not boot.
It would be necessary to understand the Why of this strange problem. On Reboot, with WIndows 95 it is the only problem that prevents the operating system from starting.
Very strange on the other hand with subsequent operating systems, which do not even start.