VOGONS

Reply 80 of 850, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 2 cents - some resemblance of the GUS classic looks would be more than awesome. Same size, same color, similar silkscreen in the lower left corner... 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 84 of 850, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr.gravis wrote on 2022-07-24, 22:56:

Is it possible to record a guitar through a microphone through this sound card? What version of Windows is it for? How much RAM is needed?(translated from google)

I have no idea how you ended up here and interested in this card but I can guarantee you that this is not the hardware for your intended use case 🤣

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 85 of 850, by mr.gravis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-07-25, 10:25:

Is it possible to record a guitar through a microphone through this sound card? What version of Windows is it for? How much RAM is needed?(translated from google)

I have no idea how you ended up here and interested in this card but I can guarantee you that this is not the hardware for your intended use case 🤣

I clicked on the link and started asking interesting questions (translated from google)

Reply 86 of 850, by Nikita Lita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mr.gravis wrote on 2022-07-25, 10:35:

I clicked on the link and started asking interesting questions (translated from google)

This forum is for VERY OLD sound cards only. These sound cards will not work with your computer. Please look elsewhere.

Reply 87 of 850, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I should add that these cards are not meant for audio recording. This forum is focused on very old hardware and old games. If you are looking for audio recording equipment I'd suggest to look at websites geared towards audio and sound.

Please don't spam this forum as I can see you asked the same question on the ARGUS post.

Reply 88 of 850, by underthebridge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks much! I can’t wait to play around with this card. So far seems to make more sense to use in a system with less isa slots… though I’ll have to experiment if plays nice with multiple other ISA cards (non-pnp) in windows.

640K!enough wrote on 2022-07-20, 20:19:
The hardware may be re-arranged slightly between now and the final board layout, but Orpheus II contains exactly the same intell […]
Show full quote
underthebridge wrote on 2022-07-19, 14:39:

To be clear- is the MPU intelligent mode like the PCMidi card and does it use the musicquest drivers?

The hardware may be re-arranged slightly between now and the final board layout, but Orpheus II contains exactly the same intelligent-mode PCMIDI hardware as the stand-alone board and Orpheus I. As always, you have the choice between the standard Roland driver or the Music Quest version. They haven't made any official announcement, that I am aware of, stating whether the intelligent-mode hardware will be standard equipment or optional, as on Orpheus I, particularly given the problems with parts availability.

underthebridge wrote on 2022-07-19, 14:39:

Say at a given time I wanted to, for instance, use just GUS + Crystal part, or GUS + OPL3, or GUS by itself to save resources. Would it conflict if driver is disabled in windows?

As far as I'm aware, the PCMIDI portion cannot be disabled. It is not managed via Plug and Play, and occupies either I/O base 300H or 330H, depending on jumper settings (disabled is not one of the available options). Similarly, in order for OPL3 to work, at least part of the CS4237 hardware must be configured and enabled on the bus. InterWave features without the CS4237 being active full-time should be possible, but is not currently supported by any initialisation software. Currently, the internal, experimental version of ORPHINIT is the only software that has any sane level of support for Orpheus II. These are features that I might consider for a future version, but it can start to get complicated, so I'm not making any promises.

If anyone else decides to implement support for the new card, and which features they support, is entirely up to them. As of now, there are no other options; that is something that potential buyers should know.

Under Windows, you won't have the same level of control. I don't think anyone has experimented in detail with which parts can be disabled without affecting performance, compatibility or stability. However, "disabling" the PCMIDI driver will not cause the hardware to become inactive.

Reply 89 of 850, by mr.gravis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stevogamer wrote on 2022-07-25, 12:51:

I should add that these cards are not meant for audio recording. This forum is focused on very old hardware and old games. If you are looking for audio recording equipment I'd suggest to look at websites geared towards audio and sound.

Please don't spam this forum as I can see you asked the same question on the ARGUS post.

I'm not spamming, I'm asking questions, the same question for two different topics, what's unclear? Forum for old maps, here I write... technical questions have become interesting (for example, recording, or others) if you don't know the answers, then just don't answer(translated from google)

Reply 90 of 850, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr.gravis wrote on 2022-07-25, 17:33:

I'm not spamming, I'm asking questions, the same question for two different topics, what's unclear? Forum for old maps, here I write... technical questions have become interesting (for example, recording, or others) if you don't know the answers, then just don't answer(translated from google)

If you want to use the card for recording things on your old Windows98 pc it can be done
Memory and cpu requirements are depending on the recording software you will use
BUT
using this card (or any other old ISA card) for recording is not really recommended anymore: you can get better cards for this job that are new and PCI/PCIe and you can get way better software for a modern OS like windows10 or macOS or Linux

if you decide to do this kind of work using old computers you are handicapping yourself two times: one with old OS/software and other with old hardware

OrpheusII/Argus/AWE64legacy/etc all are cards that are made in 2022 *but* all still use the old chips from 1995~1999 and as such they are limited by their time period that is 20+ years ago

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 91 of 850, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To expand on what keropi just said - I'm definitely no expert compared to keropi and all these awesome guys designing those new cards but hopefully I will not make a fool of myself:

The whole interest in those "new old cards" is that they're able to make games and other productions from that time period (demos etc.) that were designed to use those chips shine at arguably their best potential. The old cards from the 90's had to try and stay economical and cheap on the shelves, they were not always really well designed in terms of noise or various bugs. These new cards use modern technologies, be it on the PCB production side (ability to have custom made PCB's for relatively cheap, 4 layers, etc..), proper clean audio path, audio-grade capacitors, and sometimes in cards such as the Orpheus II, the ability to fit different chips on a single card. Basically they are trying to be the best of what the 90's sound cards potential could be, taking some advantage of today's technology.

So they are awesome in a 90's computer, to listen to stuff written for them during the 90's, as replacements for cards from the 90's. As said by keropi, by modern standards they do not offer much and you're planning to use them for any other goal than this, you'll be giving yourself a lot of trouble for not much reward.

Reply 92 of 850, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Boohyaka wrote on 2022-07-25, 18:18:

To expand on what keropi just said [...]

yes, things are exactly like that!
maybe a better term for the cards mentioned above is "retro gaming sound cards" 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 93 of 850, by ychh0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great. It will save many slots! I wonder how many resources (DMA, IRQ) are required. If it's possible, I'm thinking of installing Orpheus II and AWE64 Gold together. And furthermore, could it be possible to add SB Audigy Platium PCI? Then it will be ultimate sound cards combination for me.

Reply 94 of 850, by heckyeah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought recording your own samples for trackers was fairly common and since these cards expose the mic and line inputs for use, they'll be usable for whatever one's heart may desire inside their limited scopes. At least you can do the recording on the same computer you use for tracker composing for that authentic 90s tracker vibe

Reply 95 of 850, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
heckyeah wrote on 2022-07-26, 06:23:

I thought recording your own samples for trackers was fairly common and since these cards expose the mic and line inputs for use, they'll be usable for whatever one's heart may desire inside their limited scopes. At least you can do the recording on the same computer you use for tracker composing for that authentic 90s tracker vibe

ofcourse it will work fine for retro-uses like this , no issues there
but I have a feeling the above questions are not about retro-uses

Reply 96 of 850, by mr.gravis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2022-07-25, 17:58:
If you want to use the card for recording things on your old Windows98 pc it can be done Memory and cpu requirements are dependi […]
Show full quote
mr.gravis wrote on 2022-07-25, 17:33:

If you want to use the card for recording things on your old Windows98 pc it can be done
Memory and cpu requirements are depending on the recording software you will use
BUT
using this card (or any other old ISA card) for recording is not really recommended anymore: you can get better cards for this job that are new and PCI/PCIe and you can get way better software for a modern OS like windows10 or macOS or Linux

if you decide to do this kind of work using old computers you are handicapping yourself two times: one with old OS/software and other with old hardware

OrpheusII/Argus/AWE64legacy/etc all are cards that are made in 2022 *but* all still use the old chips from 1995~1999 and as such they are limited by their time period that is 20+ years ago

I understand all this , I just became interested in all this , I ask here , I ask on YouTube , etc . , it 's better to eat , but it became interesting to deal with old hardware , I would prefer to know more information , the more the better , from recording , to operational tagging and drivers , etc .(translated from google)

Reply 97 of 850, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr.gravis wrote on 2022-07-26, 10:11:

I understand all this , I just became interested in all this , I ask here , I ask on YouTube , etc . , it 's better to eat , but it became interesting to deal with old hardware , I would prefer to know more information , the more the better , from recording , to operational tagging and drivers , etc .(translated from google)

I don't know how to answer that
The card uses for windows 9x the Crystal CS4237 drivers , the Ultrasound PnP drivers, the OPL3 driver and finally the Roland MPU-401 driver.
For DOS it uses Orphinit driver and for now the Ultrasound PnP DOS driver.
For windows3x it uses again all the stock/old drivers for CS4237/Ultrasound/MPU.
Only Orphinit is a custom-made driver, the rest is all the official drivers from the past.