VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Octolamp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey folks, first time posting on here - I'm currently arguing with DOSbox running Windows 3.11, trying to get a .iso format of The Last Dynasty to work. I've followed the FAQ on this site on setting up the OS and installing all of the required drivers, modifying the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files appropriately, and am simulating inserting the disc by using Daemon Tools Lite as a virtual drive.

It has worked for me to install the game by mounting the D:\ drive in DOSbox before actually running windows, and it recognizes that the disk is inserted - until I actually run the game. Then it shows me a splash screen with the message "Insert disc #1" , and when I click 'ok' it shifts around the screen a bit and just repeats the message.

I've attached a screenshot with the config and autoexec files pulled up as well as the game screen, hopefully those will provide some form of context. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize if this landed in the wrong thread. I'll be more than happy to provide any requested info, I've been chasing this game for decades and I'm so tantalizingly close!

Attachments

• Capture 1.PNG
    Filename
    Capture 1.PNG
    File size
    169.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You only need config.sys and autoexec.bat with DOSBox if you're using a hard disk image, which isn't required to run windows 3.11 and certainly won't work with CD images (the vide-cdd driver will not load because IDE hardware is not emulated). Modifying those files most likely has no effect in this situation.

How exactly did you create the .iso file that you're using?

Reply 2 of 4, by Octolamp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2022-07-27, 12:20:

You only need config.sys and autoexec.bat with DOSBox if you're using a hard disk image, which isn't required to run windows 3.11 and certainly won't work with CD images (the vide-cdd driver will not load because IDE hardware is not emulated). Modifying those files most likely has no effect in this situation.

How exactly did you create the .iso file that you're using?

The above files were automatically created when I followed the installation guide, and I followed another to install the virtual CD drive (to make the modifications). I created the .iso files by imaging them from the original game discs (hooray for ebay) - so instead of using the current method, should I be looking into finding another way to emulate the discs being inserted or extract the files into their own folders and try creating a path?

Reply 3 of 4, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds like you've followed a guide (you should be specific and say which one) to running DOS games on real hardware. Most of that doesn't apply to DOSBox.
Usually all you need to do is mount the .iso file using the imgmount command before starting windows however the process is more complicated if there are multiple discs or they contain audio tracks as well as data. When I asked how exactly you made the image I expected you to say which program was used and if there was more than one disc.

Reply 4 of 4, by Octolamp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2022-07-29, 02:29:

It sounds like you've followed a guide (you should be specific and say which one) to running DOS games on real hardware. Most of that doesn't apply to DOSBox.
Usually all you need to do is mount the .iso file using the imgmount command before starting windows however the process is more complicated if there are multiple discs or they contain audio tracks as well as data. When I asked how exactly you made the image I expected you to say which program was used and if there was more than one disc.

A link to the guide I used to install 3.1 in DOSbox:
https://www.howtogeek.com/230359/how-to-insta … y-16-bit-games/

I used Daemon Tools Pro to extract the disc images, and yes there are 2 discs.