VOGONS

Reply 80 of 114, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mache wrote on 2021-01-31, 13:55:
In the heroic era of General MIDI ('90s) I tried to edit SBK and SF2 soundfonts. […]
Show full quote

In the heroic era of General MIDI ('90s) I tried to edit SBK and SF2 soundfonts.

Is it an SF editor fod X2?
Could I compose an X2 .DXB from a .WAV, .an SF2 or else files like these?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Zqi3CcLcxgk … Y74MjJhRnx/view

https://github.com/KaleidonKep99/Steinway-B-2 … /master/Samples

Dream has it's own soundbank editor which does not allow importing any other soundbanks like sf2 or sfz..
WAV samples can be used of course but it needs some work to reproduce all the synth parameters.
And the two soundfonts you refered are already ~250 MB in size so they can never fit the 64 MB of X2 without destroying all the quality..

Here are two soundfonts that could fit. But it would need a lot of work to port them over. The second one is probably better for solo playing but would net a lot more work than the first one..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L-y9m4UyTKRa … iew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oStz46Id8W7k … iew?usp=sharing

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 81 of 114, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe you need the Dream SDK to do this and that software comes with an expensive license..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 82 of 114, by mache

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hummtaro wrote on 2021-02-01, 10:58:
Dream has it's own soundbank editor which does not allow importing any other soundbanks like sf2 or sfz.. WAV samples can be use […]
Show full quote
mache wrote on 2021-01-31, 13:55:
In the heroic era of General MIDI ('90s) I tried to edit SBK and SF2 soundfonts. […]
Show full quote

In the heroic era of General MIDI ('90s) I tried to edit SBK and SF2 soundfonts.

Is it an SF editor fod X2?
Could I compose an X2 .DXB from a .WAV, .an SF2 or else files like these?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Zqi3CcLcxgk … Y74MjJhRnx/view

https://github.com/KaleidonKep99/Steinway-B-2 … /master/Samples

Dream has it's own soundbank editor which does not allow importing any other soundbanks like sf2 or sfz..
WAV samples can be used of course but it needs some work to reproduce all the synth parameters.
And the two soundfonts you refered are already ~250 MB in size so they can never fit the 64 MB of X2 without destroying all the quality..

Here are two soundfonts that could fit. But it would need a lot of work to port them over. The second one is probably better for solo playing but would net a lot more work than the first one..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L-y9m4UyTKRa … iew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oStz46Id8W7k … iew?usp=sharing

Oh, thanks. I remembered 2GB flash memory, sorry.
Now I've read the manual.

Other questions:
1. Could be ever develop a changable microSD socket onboard, to place any memory card (I think up to 128GB, because of addressing) to expand our soundbank?
An empty SD or microSD socket is maybe as cheap as a 64MB memory IC...

2. In my case, could be a useful solution a software wavetable and a MIDI to USB adapter?

Thanks & regards

Fatar SL-990; Anteg EM-100; CT3990 8MB; YMF-719 &724; GUS ACE; GUS PnP; Roland SCB-55; Roland SCC-1; Yamaha DB50XG; Genius SoundMaker DB; Diamond Monster Sound MX300; Turtle Beach MAUI 8MB; MidiTech PianoBox USB; KORG NS5R; MidiTech MidiStudio 2 Pro

Reply 83 of 114, by Wanderer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mache wrote on 2021-02-01, 14:30:

2. In my case, could be a useful solution a software wavetable and a MIDI to USB adapter?

Yes, definitely. A MIDI keyboard + PC is a very useful and powerful combo. To play instruments in real time, you need a sound card with a hardware synthesizer or with an ASIO driver for software synths. Many cards also have a MIDI input where you can connect the keyboard.

Reply 84 of 114, by mache

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Wanderer wrote on 2021-02-01, 17:34:
mache wrote on 2021-02-01, 14:30:

Yes, definitely. A MIDI keyboard + PC is a very useful and powerful combo. To play instruments in real time, you need a sound card with a hardware synthesizer or with an ASIO driver for software synths. Many cards also have a MIDI input where you can connect the keyboard.

Thanks Wanderer, I may have 1-2 stuff.

Fatar SL-990; Anteg EM-100; CT3990 8MB; YMF-719 &724; GUS ACE; GUS PnP; Roland SCB-55; Roland SCC-1; Yamaha DB50XG; Genius SoundMaker DB; Diamond Monster Sound MX300; Turtle Beach MAUI 8MB; MidiTech PianoBox USB; KORG NS5R; MidiTech MidiStudio 2 Pro

Reply 85 of 114, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hummtaro wrote on 2019-08-20, 02:07:

Hi People,
now there are two more Soundbanks available for our little Dreamblasters:
GXSCC GM and OPL-3 FM 64M!

Just tried the OPL3 one on the Dreamblaster X2 I received today, and it's pretty great. The woodwind instruments are particularly pleasing.
The only weird thing is that the drums sound very very off compared to OPL3, at least in the game I tested it in.
If you want to see it for yourself, try Quest for Glory 3. That game uses a lot of drums in the music due to the African influences on the game, and you can easily see how different they are compared to DOSBox's OPL3.

I know it probably can't be the same, due to the differences between MIDI and synthesizers, but it's downright jarring in this particular game.
Just compare the Sierra splash screen, title theme, intro, and go into the bazaar. Suddenly, someone is sounding a gong! Made me laugh.
Everything else sounds great, though.
I hope you continue to work on it!

Reply 86 of 114, by Trelokk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has any progress been made at all regarding a possible workover of that Roland soundbank? I still believe it has potential to become a really good choice for the X2/X3, especially due to its small filesize.

Reply 89 of 114, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Trelokk wrote on 2021-06-03, 08:32:

Has any progress been made at all regarding a possible workover of that Roland soundbank? I still believe it has potential to become a really good choice for the X2/X3, especially due to its small filesize.

As far i can tell the Roland soundbank sounds exactly like it is supposed to. It's an port of the simplified 3MB soundset, Roland licensed to Microsoft, Apple and other device and software vendors for embedding in thier devices and operating systems.
And since there is a license agreement between Serdaco, Dream and Roland for the official Roland samples on X2GS, i will not create a free soundbank to recreate that sound!
I'm not related to Serdaco BVBA but I think it would be unsportsmanlike and could cause trouble.. I hope you understand. 😀

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 90 of 114, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there,
i decided to publish 3 soundbank ports i was working on a time ago.
Those are unfinished and have some issues.
I decided to publish them anyway since i don't know if i will ever finish them.

You'll find them in the first post.

I also have some bigger ones that wouldn't fit X3M. I may release them if a bigger Dreamblaster module is available someday..

I'm sorry I didn't finish it..

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 92 of 114, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
duboisea wrote on 2022-07-22, 18:13:

@Hummtaro Did you have any luck making a Ultrasound soundbank? Would love to test something even if it is a WIP 😀

I quickly ported a UltraSound Soundfont i have lying around.
Basically i just ran some of my scripts. It may have some errors..
I don't have much time to work on it. But feel free to report if there are some big quirks.

See page 1

Last edited by Hummtaro on 2022-08-08, 01:41. Edited 1 time in total.

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 94 of 114, by duboisea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Hummtaro

The Ultrasound soundbank works great! I played hours of Heretic+Doom last night and didn't have any issues. I have never heard a real Ultrasound so I can't really compare 😀

Would it be easy to get the OPL-3 FM down to 48MB? I have a X2GS and not a X2. Would it be possible to make drop samples/simplify it? Any tools that I can use to do it, or do I have to buy the dream SDK

Reply 95 of 114, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
duboisea wrote on 2022-08-01, 01:45:

@Hummtaro

The Ultrasound soundbank works great! I played hours of Heretic+Doom last night and didn't have any issues. I have never heard a real Ultrasound so I can't really compare 😀

Would it be easy to get the OPL-3 FM down to 48MB? I have a X2GS and not a X2. Would it be possible to make drop samples/simplify it? Any tools that I can use to do it, or do I have to buy the dream SDK

Nice! Thanks for the feedback.

You would need to buy the dream SDK and you would need the soundbank source..

But you don't have to, here's a OPL-3 FM 48M for X2GS: See page 1

Edit: I replaced the drumkit and some bright instruments with those from the 64M version.
Most other instruments should sound fine with reduced samplerate, please report if you find any error. 😀

Last edited by Hummtaro on 2022-08-08, 01:41. Edited 1 time in total.

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 96 of 114, by duboisea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hummtaro wrote on 2022-08-01, 13:49:
Nice! Thanks for the feedback. […]
Show full quote

Nice! Thanks for the feedback.

You would need to buy the dream SDK and you would need the soundbank source..

But you don't have to, here's a OPL-3 FM 48M for X2GS:
Download: Mediafire

Edit: I replaced the drumkit and some bright instruments with those from the 64M version.
Most other instruments should sound fine with reduced samplerate, please report if you find any error. 😀

OPL-3 FM 48M works great! Thank you so much. This is a really great collection of SoundFonts you have created 😀

I spent some time listening to others, but for me OPL3 + Ultrasound just sound so great.

Reply 97 of 114, by duboisea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Hummtaro

Do you think it would be possible to fit the ESFM Soundfont into 64M? I found it here https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/122391- … comment-2325794

I don't know why, but really enjoying listening to things with it. Would be really fun to play some games on the real hardware with it.

thanks for your time!

Reply 98 of 114, by rakarek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Below is a link for Gravis Ultrasound Classic GM bank converted by me to sf2 format, in 1999. I hope that i will see your opinion regarding to this bank. I hope that someone can convert this bank to dreamblaster format.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11C04aaQALB6K … iew?usp=sharing

Reply 99 of 114, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Chicken Systems "Translator" sample conversion software works with a variety of sample formats and also apparently works with Dream sample banks, if you get the High-Tech Edition. The support information is spotty on the software's specifics, because the company has shut down their forum and such, but they still sell the software.

https://samplerzone.com/collections/translato … hi-tech-edition