Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 333, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MAZter wrote on 2022-07-27, 20:12:

vorob, as I wrote before in this thread, setupds.exe version 3.16 preferable for YMF754 and version 3.11 for YMF744.
Using wrong version easy could makes grey settings issue. So make sure you use v3.16 with your YMF754.

Good point about the version. I didn't remember the version I use but its probably 3.16.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD

Reply 261 of 333, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vorob wrote on 2022-03-19, 21:48:

Under windows 98 VXD drivers are not working. And with WMD drivers i also don't have sound in dos games, but have general midi 😀

I managed to make VXD work by modifying a Toshiba VXD. but the FM volume is smaller than in DOS. or the volume is the same as DOS but will be changed lower after playing some midi. It's possible to tune the INF to make the volume better but I didn't have time to do that.
Here's the simple log for what I've done: Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today
I can send you a copy of the modified vxd driver (only INF modified) but you still need to change the subsystem id in the INF to match yours.

Reply 262 of 333, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2022-07-21, 18:01:

Windows 98+XP native are not problem, problems are with Dos.

I tried a Yamaha 754 on an Intel H81 with an ITE PCIe-PCI Bridge and indeed the card is fully functional under Windows XP, which is good. What drivers should I install under Windows 98 for this card, under these conditions? Are there any other related recommendations?

Reply 263 of 333, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Faced a strange thing on my Toshiba 2805 with Y754 (and GeForce 2).

Commander Keen only pc speaker is available, both under windows and pure dos.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Under dos pc speaker and sound blaster / adlib work as they should. But under windows it’s a total mess. If a set speaker as music device it works properly, if I select sb / adlib it works as pc speaker. If I choose Roland or general midi it works as some cheap version of gm with less instruments. Dunno how to explain it better.

Used ScummVm and chose there my Yamaha chip, works like charm! Rich full music there.

Reply 264 of 333, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DoZator wrote on 2022-08-02, 09:24:
ruthan wrote on 2022-07-21, 18:01:

Windows 98+XP native are not problem, problems are with Dos.

I tried a Yamaha 754 on an Intel H81 with an ITE PCIe-PCI Bridge and indeed the card is fully functional under Windows XP, which is good. What drivers should I install under Windows 98 for this card, under these conditions? Are there any other related recommendations?

I also tried under Windows 98. I installed the latest VxD driver for Yamaha 754:
ftp://ftp.dyu.edu.tw/pub/Hardware/vendor/Labw … 754/dv2019L.exe

but during installation the screen freezes at this stage:

yamaha1.PNG
Filename
yamaha1.PNG
File size
534.39 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

At the same time, you can move the mouse, but you can’t do anything. After a forced reboot in the device manager, in the properties of the Yamaha 754 it is shown as follows:

yamaha2.PNG
Filename
yamaha2.PNG
File size
10.97 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

If you allow ASD, then after a reboot, it only reaches the desktop wallpaper, but no shortcuts, no taskbar. And, again, nothing can be done, only move the mouse (the cursor moves normally).

Reply 265 of 333, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried it on my old PC (Intel Core2Duo x6800 + Conroe865PE based) and no problem, the card works flawlessly (With the same VxD driver). One might think that the H81 and/or ITE PCIe-PCI bridge is not compatible, but that's how it works in XP! What can be wrong in Windows 98?

Reply 266 of 333, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can switch IRQ and card address in Device manager?, if yes try it and reboot, maybe you will win also try other driver version..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 267 of 333, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows XP uses the following resources:

F7340000-F7347FFF
C000-C03F
C0E0-C0E3
IRQ 17

and the card works. Whereas in Windows 98 they are:

F7340000-F7347FFF
C000-C03F
C0E0-C0E3
IRQ 5

and the card is not working.

I tried to change the interrupt, however, IRQ 17 does not allow me to choose. With the help of interrupt reservation, it was possible to switch the c 5 card to any of the following IRQs:

6, 15, 14, 03, 04

but Yamaha did not work with any of them. Regarding the address space and I / O, unfortunately, I do not know what values ​​​​to change the existing ones. I tried to randomly switch both, I watched that there were no conflicts, but nothing changed. I tried more than a few dozen different combinations of addresses and interrupts, but the result is the same.

I also tried different drivers - 2005, 2008, 2013, 2019, 2220, 2240 and in all cases the picture is similar or identical:

yamaha3.PNG
Filename
yamaha3.PNG
File size
10.84 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

at the same time, drivers version 2220 and 2240 have some peculiarities: the card still does NOT work with them, the only difference is that the driver is installed completely, without freezes, "YAMAHA DS-XG PCI Audio CODEC (WDM)" appears in the manager, "YAMAHA DS-XG GamePort" and "YAMAHA DS-XG Legacy Sound System (WDM)", in the properties of any of these devices it says "This device is working properly.", but in fact nothing works (see screenshot above).

Last edited by DoZator on 2022-08-10, 15:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 268 of 333, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What else can I try to do?
Maybe something needs to be corrected through PCISET.EXE? Maybe some setting is not enabled on the ITE PCIe-PCI bridge?

On the other hand, why does XP use 17 interrupts, while 98 only uses 15 as the maximum possible? Could it be that the card can only work on interrupt 17? How then to make it available under Win9x?

Reply 269 of 333, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

a google search revealed that the chipset has no native PCI support, and maybe thats why the bridge doesn't work properly. Just a guess that a bridge adapter would probably work fine on another chipset that had no pci slots but supported PCI properly. And that your motherboard doesn't have any low level PCI resources so it doesn't work. Somthing like a pci network or USB card would still work for you but the sound card wont. becasue a network card or a USB card shouldn't care that much about resources and it doesn't need DMA?

Reply 270 of 333, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DoZator wrote on 2022-08-10, 15:26:

Maybe something needs to be corrected through PCISET.EXE? Maybe some setting is not enabled on the ITE PCIe-PCI bridge?

On the other hand, why does XP use 17 interrupts, while 98 only uses 15 as the maximum possible? Could it be that the card can only work on interrupt 17? How then to make it available under Win9x?

Can you install Windows 98 with ACPI enabled. Run setup.exe /p j

I think WinXP installs with ACPI support by default.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 271 of 333, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

XP supports APIC which is how it gets that many IRQs. 9x only supports the legacy PIC and that is limited to 16 IRQs which of many are used by system devices, leaving only a handful available.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 272 of 333, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2022-08-10, 20:25:

a google search revealed that the chipset has no native PCI support, and maybe thats why the bridge doesn't work properly. Just a guess that a bridge adapter would probably work fine on another chipset that had no pci slots but supported PCI properly. And that your motherboard doesn't have any low level PCI resources so it doesn't work. Somthing like a pci network or USB card would still work for you but the sound card wont. becasue a network card or a USB card shouldn't care that much about resources and it doesn't need DMA?

PCI network cards, USB adapters and IDE controllers connected to this board work, moreover, for HDDs connected to the PCI IDE adapter, can install DMA through the Windows 98 device Manager, while the speed of operation corresponds to the DMA mode.

Stretch wrote on 2022-08-10, 22:35:
DoZator wrote on 2022-08-10, 15:26:

Can you install Windows 98 with ACPI enabled. Run setup.exe /p j

I think WinXP installs with ACPI support by default.

Yes, it looks like I'll have to try it.

Apart from "/pj" are there any other desirable switches that should also be added in this particular case, which can somehow improve compatibility with the H81 and Yamaha?

Tiido wrote on 2022-08-10, 22:54:

XP supports APIC which is how it gets that many IRQs. 9x only supports the legacy PIC and that is limited to 16 IRQs which of many are used by system devices, leaving only a handful available.

I'll try running XP in PIC mode and see what happens.

Reply 273 of 333, by BaronSFel001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apologies, I've gone up and down this topic, maybe it's there and I'm not seeing it, but before I pull the trigger on getting one of these I'd like clarity on:
1) if EAX still works with the WDM drivers under Windows XP
2) if not then if there is still at least full DirectX 8 compliance for 2001 games requiring it
3) if neither of the above then if both can still be achieved with the VxD drivers under Windows Me

Thanks in advance.

System 20: PIII 600, LAPC-I, AWE64, S220, Voodoo3, SQ2500, R200, 3.1-Me
System 21: G2030 3.0, X-fi Fatal1ty, GTX 560, XP-Vista
Retro gaming (among other subjects): https://baronsfel001.wixsite.com/my-site

Reply 274 of 333, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do I understand correctly that for the Yamaha 754 to work properly under Windows 98, in combination with the VxD driver, you need a chipset/southbridge with hardware support for DDMA? And all attempts to make the Yamaha 754 work on boards without DDMA support are hopeless?

In that case, would such a motherboard with an ICH5-R southbridge fit?

Tiger i7525 (S2672).PNG
Filename
Tiger i7525 (S2672).PNG
File size
522.43 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

https://usermanual.wiki/Document/ms2672100.2744387585.pdf

I successfully tried this card on Conroe865PE, it also has ICH5, but a slightly different 865 northbridge with AGP. On the Intel E7525 board presented above with PCI-e x16.

If the board has ICH5, then it will be DDMA anyway and the card will work?

In that case then, what is the most powerful board to fully run the Yamaha 754 under Windows 98, in combination with the VxD driver?

Reply 275 of 333, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found in the datasheet on the YMF754-R used on my audio card, in addition to detailed descriptions of many configuration registers, there is also a curious mention:

PCI Configuration Register In addition to the Configuration Register defined by PCI Revision 2.2, DS-1E provides proprietary PCI […]
Show full quote

PCI Configuration Register
In addition to the Configuration Register defined by PCI Revision 2.2, DS-1E provides proprietary PCI
Configuration Registers in order to control legacy audio function, such as FM Synthesizer, Sound Blaster Pro,
MPU401 and Joystick. These additional registers are configured by BIOS or the configuration software
from YAMAHA Corporation.

Was there really any specialized software from YAMAHA designed to adjust the registers? (BIOS, as I understand it, in my case does not cope and something needs to be edited manually). But what exactly? Perhaps there are hints in this software. But it's nowhere to be found, maybe someone here has it? Or at least recommendations, which of the registers should try to change?

And yes, the version without DDMA, if you believe what is written in the document, and everything is implemented in the chip as expected, becomes a little doubtful. Since, apparently, DDMA is needed only to implement support for obsolete functions, and this entire block can, in theory, be turned off: in order to play MP3s under Windows, no block should be needed. But how is it realized in practice, go figure it out ...

Here, just in case, I'm attaching a datasheet here for the YMF754-R (What would you not look for later).

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Filename
    YMF754-R_ETC.pdf
    File size
    305.99 KiB
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 276 of 333, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DoZator wrote on 2022-09-06, 14:02:

Was there really any specialized software from YAMAHA designed to adjust the registers?

No, but you can poke values into PCI registers using i.e. TweakPCI TweakPCI - A DOS utility to view/modify PCI configuration registers

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 277 of 333, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After reading this thread I still couldn't find a definitive answer to this: - do 815E/EP motherboards (ICH/1/2) support DDMA if using a modified setupds with the correct PCI IDs. Or does the modified setupds only enable SB-Link / PC-PCI on the boards.

Reply 278 of 333, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AvalonH wrote on 2022-12-29, 22:12:

After reading this thread I still couldn't find a definitive answer to this: - do 815E/EP motherboards (ICH/1/2) support DDMA if using a modified setupds with the correct PCI IDs. Or does the modified setupds only enable SB-Link / PC-PCI on the boards.

I have an 815EP (Tualatin) board with YMF724, and the DDMA mode was working before I turned it to PCPCI - the soundcard and board have PCPCI headers.

Reply 279 of 333, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DoZator wrote on 2022-09-05, 15:06:

In that case then, what is the most powerful board to fully run the Yamaha 754 under Windows 98, in combination with the VxD driver?

how much power is really necessary. A P4 3.2ghz with a FX 5900XT can play every windows 9x game at high res with max settings and get over 60 FPS. This configuration is also as high as one can go without breaking all kinds of compatibility.