Common searches

Reply 220 of 262, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-08-03, 21:24:
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-01, 19:45:

I do maintain that at the time, nothing was as funny prior or even after Seinfeld. I am a huge fan of the Office, P & R, Community, and Scrubs. I think each have their merits.

It's probably the "Seinfeld is unfunny" effect. A lot of Seinfeld's humor was highly topical to the 90's era, and that doesn't translate as well to more recent decades. The other problem is that the show's style of humor was also copied a lot. It was innovative for the time, but now seems blasé for anyone who didn't grow up with it.

Plus, and this happens with every single show I rewatch from times of yore, there's NO WAY you could get away with making the jokes made back then... From "All in the Family" or "Sanford & Son" to you name it.

It's all milquetoast now with viewers just itching to fly off the handle, which there is still a very funny "Seinfeld" episode about this and is very topical for today. I think "Curb your Enthusiasm" is the last man standing, but I haven't watched any of it since Season 8 or 9... I can't remember. It's not a show that I have had the urge to rewatch, either.

Being able to laugh at yourself is a rare quality today, or at least seems this way.

Reply 221 of 262, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well Community took more chances then any show in history I'll bet (network tv anyway). It's way newer then Seinfeld. Community poked fun at blacks, women, jews, elderly, gays, you name it. There's thr banned show where Ken Jeong wears black face (depicting a Drow? or black skinned elf). A lot of the shows humor has to be sat on, oftentimes you have to view an episode multiple times. Some of it is stupid, I often find myself saying why didn't they do just a wee bit mote work on that line. Another show I swore I'd never watch. Until the night they aired the 2 funniest episodes of all. Then I was hooked. I'll wager THE most innovative show of all time. It doesn't get enough credit. It isn't altogether for mass consumption. The teens of today likely wouldn't undertand 90% of the references and humor. But maybe I'm wrong.

Reply 223 of 262, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-08-04, 00:36:

Arrested Development (seasons 1, 2, 3) was, for me, the pinnacle of USA-produced ensemble comedy.

+1 I found this hysterically funny and clever. Genius writing.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 224 of 262, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whoever thinks Seinfeld is not funny can stop being my friend right here and right now.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 225 of 262, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been watching it for the first time in a very very long time. There are still laughs. People can't grade a show like that by today's standards. It was an absolute howl when it was new, or when you viewed it for the first time, even as reruns, in the 90s. It was barnstorming hum0r in it's day. It seems a little dry nowadays.

Again to the people that don't find Seinfeld funny, I'm interested to hear which shows they find amusing. Some of the older shows, albeith dated, I love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes, Green Acres, can still invoke some laughs. I don't watch it, but one friend likes Hogan's Heroes. Until I watched a few minutes of it, I almost wanted to laugh at someone watching that. And for me it's been 45 years if it's been a day since I saw it last. But it's kind of neat I guess.

I've never seen AD. I'll see if I can catch some. Right now I have to go back and watch House from the first episodes, it's available on Peacock. Already he' s hooking up with Cuddy. It sucks starting a show so far into it's existence. Am really enjoying it though.

Reply 226 of 262, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AD had some "jokes"about dizziness/vertigo, played by Lisa Minelli. I have a dear friend with multiple sclerosis, which for many sufferers destroys their sense of balance, often described as dizziness. There's no cure, it's a slow death, it's not funny. Inevitably AD then seems sour and becomes painful to watch, whether or not Lisa Minelli has health issues or dizziness herself, or her best friend has MS, or she's kind to dogs. Selma Blair has MS incidentally.

As to Seinfeld, I laughed a bit back in the day when it was new, it was pleasant much like Big Bang Theory or How I Met Your Mother or even Roseanne was, but I laughed far more at the earlier Simpsons, Red Dwarf, Monty Python, Goodies, Porridge, Fawlty Towers when they were new... I wouldn't seek much of that out now though, it's dated and rather like old music from my teens and student days I know too many exchanges by heart. Rewatched a couple of series of Soap recently, after a while it was "meh" but had some good bits. Then again.... "NNNNnnnnobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" always kills me.

What I probably find funny these days (series or "shows" rather than films): Archer, IT Crowd, Black Books, Father Ted, The Tick (especially the cartoons and Patrick Warburton's series), An Idiot Abroad, The Ricky Gervais Show, Jack Dee. Maybe even the original Dad's Army, I find Arthur Lowe's intonation absolutely priceless. And I wouldn't miss a rerun of Dave Allen.

Maybe it's my age 😀

Reply 227 of 262, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote on 2022-08-04, 14:26:

AD had some "jokes"about dizziness/vertigo, played by Lisa Minelli. I have a dear friend with multiple sclerosis, which for many sufferers destroys their sense of balance, often described as dizziness. There's no cure, it's a slow death, it's not funny. Inevitably AD then seems sour and becomes painful to watch, whether or not Lisa Minelli has health issues or dizziness herself, or her best friend has MS, or she's kind to dogs. Selma Blair has MS incidentally.

I'm sorry about your friend's illness - it sucks. I hope you can recognise that AD is not doing anything unusual or "wrong".

A similar sense of personally-triggered pain could be felt by a given viewer, about Autism regarding The Big Bang Theory or (for example) Friends' character "Gunther" ("lets all bully and laugh at the weird introverted guy"), or ADHD/other mental conditions regarding Seinfeld's Kramer, or any number of other instances where virtually every comedy could be deconstructed to see which downtrodden minority (mental or physical) is being made fun of as a regular part of the proceedings.

I think it's fine to feel that way, provided there's the understanding that we all have such triggers in our lives, though the details may vary. A recognition that jokes about a particular topic may simply be too painful for some, but that doesn't invalidate the notion of the comedy itself. Else we'd have to simply cease all comedy, full stop.

Reply 228 of 262, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-08-04, 23:33:
I'm sorry about your friend's illness - it sucks. I hope you can recognise that AD is not doing anything unusual or "wrong". […]
Show full quote

I'm sorry about your friend's illness - it sucks. I hope you can recognise that AD is not doing anything unusual or "wrong".

A similar sense of personally-triggered pain could be felt by a given viewer, about Autism regarding The Big Bang Theory or (for example) Friends' character "Gunther" ("lets all bully and laugh at the weird introverted guy"), or ADHD/other mental conditions regarding Seinfeld's Kramer, or any number of other instances where virtually every comedy could be deconstructed to see which downtrodden minority (mental or physical) is being made fun of as a regular part of the proceedings.

I think it's fine to feel that way, provided there's the understanding that we all have such triggers in our lives, though the details may vary. A recognition that jokes about a particular topic may simply be too painful for some, but that doesn't invalidate the notion of the comedy itself. Else we'd have to simply cease all comedy, full stop.

that's borderline patronising, i'm leaving this thread now.

i'm not on any crusade, but i do think you need to look at yourself if your way of making yourself feel better about life (through laughing) is by mocking others who have problems. there's seeing the funny side, sure, but in my book that's up to the afflicted. if my friend laughs when she falls over, we laughtogether. when an unknowing shop assistant mocks her shuffling step - well fuck you, we're out. seeing the funny side of someone else's problem - easy for you to say. and that pretty rapidly turn into behaviours not acceptable to the contemporary zeitgeist: racism for one. but mocking the disabled seems fairplay.

bye.

Reply 229 of 262, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote on 2022-08-05, 09:18:
that's borderline patronising, i'm leaving this thread now. […]
Show full quote
I'm sorry about your friend's illness - it sucks. I hope you can recognise that AD is not doing anything unusual or "wrong". […]
Show full quote

i'm not on any crusade, but i do think you need to look at yourself if your way of making yourself feel better about life (through laughing) is by mocking others who have problems. there's seeing the funny side, sure, but in my book that's up to the afflicted. if my friend laughs when she falls over, we laughtogether. when an unknowing shop assistant mocks her shuffling step - well fuck you, we're out. seeing the funny side of someone else's problem - easy for you to say. and that pretty rapidly turn into behaviours not acceptable to the contemporary zeitgeist: racism for one. but mocking the disabled seems fairplay.

bye.

Patronizing? Can you honestly name me one comedy show where the humor is not at someone's expense? It sounds like that is not a genre for you, just like this is not a thread for you.

Reply 230 of 262, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote on 2022-08-05, 09:18:
that's borderline patronising, i'm leaving this thread now. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

bye.

Sorry that discussion of this sore topic for you causes hard feelings. I'm not at all in favour of unpleasant mocking of people. I simply recognise that the majority of the fictional comedy genre is based around mockery of some human trait/condition or other.

If a seriously demeaning line was crossed by that show, then sure, that sucks. Perhaps somewhat a sign of the times. A lot of conditions were made fun of even just 10-15 years ago in popular culture, in ways that would be less comfortable today.

I can only speak to my own experiences, when seeing conditions that've caused me a lot of misery in real life being made fun of in fictional productions - and it happens a lot! - which is to laugh along when I can, and when I can't, just write it off as being for other people.

Reply 231 of 262, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone can get offended at a joke for any number of reasons. When it's done in a comedy show, it's not (more then likely) directed at someone in particular. Not "in someone's face" so to speak. Sometimes unfortunate circumstances can be cast in a humorous light. Live with it.

Ratfink said he was leaving tbe thread, but not before rambling on and dropping an f bomb. Totally unnecessary and may I say nauseatingly woke. Not someone that should be allowed to furthermore poison an otherwise polite conversation.

Reply 232 of 262, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-05, 11:34:

Anyone can get offended at a joke for any number of reasons. When it's done in a comedy show, it's not (more then likely) directed at someone in particular. Not "in someone's face" so to speak. Sometimes unfortunate circumstances can be cast in a humorous light. Live with it.

Ratfink said he was leaving tbe thread, but not before rambling on and dropping an f bomb. Totally unnecessary and may I say nauseatingly woke. Not someone that should be allowed to furthermore poison an otherwise polite conversation.

Using woke as a deragotary term is no less offensive on some levels. What is the point of injecting politics into an already toxic argument and poisoning it even more?

Reply 233 of 262, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sigh.
Please get back on topic. As a reminder the subject is:
"Members of Vogons, what shows do you currently watch?"

Anyone can and will find anything offensive there's no sense in trying to figure out why they do on these forums just move on.
Don't make me post George Carlin.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 234 of 262, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2022-08-05, 12:57:

Don't make me post George Carlin.

Winner!

I’m going through “King of the Hill” series again at request of my wife; she loves this show, too.

Dale: Do your people even celebrate Thanksgiving?

John Redcorn: We did… once.

Reply 235 of 262, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a movie, not a show, but I'll start Soylent Green after posting this comment. It's a sci-fi distopia released in 1973 which takes place in the distant year of 2022.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 236 of 262, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apparently people have been watching Never Have I Ever. Haven't watched it but the 30 minutes is the time frame that I get during this work life.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 238 of 262, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-29, 00:13:

Watched 'Samaritan' last night with my wife.

I saw parts of that, will now need to actively rewatch, for me the movie was named wrong, ah well, was fun seeing Stallone in that role .

Finally finished Stargate Atlantis (started in February)

Now Starting SG1, episode 3, gonna take a while fun to see how much I missed because I only watched the series late Sunday nights over the air.

Amusing watching all the bring back the gate folks becoming overwhelmed with despair as they learn Amazon has no real interest in reviving any semblance of Stargate, maybe someday in 2-5 years
we will get a show with a Stargate shaped object but zero connections to anything in the movie or the TV show,
Ah well now I feel like the “they ignored the lore “
fanboys that crap the bed anytime a previous work, book, movie , cartoon, game or comic from the past gets made into a series .

Reply 239 of 262, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2022-08-30, 16:02:

Finally finished Stargate Atlantis (started in February)

Now Starting SG1, episode 3, gonna take a while fun to see how much I missed because I only watched the series late Sunday nights over the air.

SG1 and SGA are such great shows. Probably my favorite TV shows of all time, alongside Star Trek: DS9.

I was so disappointed with SGU because they tried to make it into something for "modern audiences". And I shudder at how bad a new Stargate show would be if it was made in this day and age.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi