VOGONS

Reply 120 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CalamityLime wrote on 2022-06-26, 16:14:
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-06-26, 16:06:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Aren't the regulators on the PCB going to be working in tandem with the motherboard to provide any additionally needed power? It sounds like they are going to be replacing it entirely, if they are being taxed so much.

You could probably use the motherboard vrm to make the voltage for the IO but as far as I know we're looking to replace the motherboard core vrm with out own one. It's easier to replace the on board one than to work with it since the power draw will always favour the higher voltage and the load would be uneven, which could upset the regulators and make them produce more heat than they need to. An easy way of making two regulators work together would be to use some small value resistors on the out, something like 0.1 ohms, just to help them out.

Not much need to replace the v I/O we just let it pass through the interposer. Vcc2 (vCore) is what we worry about.

Kahenraz wrote on 2022-06-26, 16:06:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Aren't the regulators on the PCB going to be working in tandem with the motherboard to provide any additionally needed power? It sounds like they are going to be replacing it entirely, if they are being taxed so much.

It is possible to regulate down from the 3.3v of the motherboard. In theory this would create less heat for the individual regulators but it’s also probably a bad idea because it will also increase the load on the motherboard significantly not only adding the processor heat envelope to the power required, but also the new regulators, causing a net increase in power draw.

It’s best to power it with switching style.

It worked on 486 setups, but prob bad idea to do on socket 5/7.

Yeah, like I said, the way we came up with is better. You are gonna need a power plug anyway. May as well put a pre made one on the power cord.

Btw: pentiumspeed brought up some good points about needing that ground we removed. I’m gonna have to update the device to re introduce the ground wire.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 121 of 221, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-26, 20:49:

Btw pentiumspeed brought up some good points about needing that ground we removed. I’m gonna have to update the device to re introduce the ground wire.

Why do we need the ground connection?

Be Happy, it's only going to get worse.
- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 122 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CalamityLime wrote on 2022-06-27, 10:28:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-26, 20:49:

Btw pentiumspeed brought up some good points about needing that ground we removed. I’m gonna have to update the device to re introduce the ground wire.

Why do we need the ground connection?

Yeah, turns out removing it was an error. Sorry. I can put it back but it’ll take me a while to get around to it.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 123 of 221, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there

While looking to order resistors for my own vrm I decided to update the values of the resistors of the board Sphere asked me to make, to ones more easily available.

I also updated the excel sheet to say what the output voltage is for the dip switches and how far off the mark the produced voltage is. It seems the recommended spec for the later AMD chips is +/-5% of the stated voltage with the earlier pentium being a little more loose. Not sure about Tillamooks but I'd imagine they would be about the same as the AMD chips.

The PDF is a table of the generated values and the jpg is a jpg of the pdf for mobile users.

Attachments

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 124 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great work, thanks very much! 😀

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 125 of 221, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey,

I'm going to update the power module board a bit. I got the foot print for the berg connector a little wrong. I'll see about adding the ground out again.

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 126 of 221, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alrighty that's done.

The original berg footprint was made assuming it used 2.54 leg spacing but it uses 2.5, so the shape was a little off.

I added the ground out like it was before and I updated the values of the resistors to what I said above.

Attachments

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 127 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome! Thanks CalamityLime!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 128 of 221, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-30, 01:09:

Awesome! Thanks CalamityLime!

No problem,

I forgot to add that i added lcsc part numbers for the resistors in the schematic, since i was ordering them anyway i had the list in my cart on lcsc.
And the berg connector aswell but that's in backorder at the moment, you could probably use a vertical one paying attention to pin 1.

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 129 of 221, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there

I made a mistake with the VRM module pcb. I accidentally swapped the vout and trim pins.
I'll fix it when I get a chance.

-Lime

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 130 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay. I haven’t ordered any yet. Look forward to corrected version. 😀 thanks so much!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 131 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just changed the thread name back to voltage interposer. Interceptor sounded cool and all but no one will search for it I think.

Calamitylime, let me know when your pcb is ready and I can order one and a murata. Where are you getting the muratas from btw?

Anyway. Beta testing soon!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.94 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 133 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you order the socket and interstitial socket?

image.jpg
Filename
image.jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
image.jpg
Filename
image.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yeah, I think we hit simplicity and cheap cost on the head here. This should work wonderfully and be easy to assemble!

Darn, the holes seem to be too small for the pcb to slide up where I was wanting.

image.jpg
Filename
image.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 135 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤔

Ended up making a press from a old socket and some pieces of steel.

I wanna find some way to solder it better but it’s kinda tough. Seems like hot air and paste is only way. But this seems to have worked, though I am bot happy about it. I fluxed it and hit it with hot air after pressing it

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 136 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It works! 😀

There is more work to do though.

Hopefully I can figure out a more professional way to solder this. This is my main beef. But this is serious progress and a huge win!

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 138 of 221, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi interesting project. A friendly tip would be to edit the first post and explain a little bit what an interposer actually does. Maybe it will raise interests and potential supporters now that you seem to get close to a product. 😀

Reply 139 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How is that? (Look at first post now)

Changes in next version:

Need to work on silk screen a little, make pin cut circles more visible also add circle for socket 5 key pin.

Kahenraz wrote on 2022-08-05, 11:17:

I don't think it should be that difficult to slide the pieces together, unless it's a pressure fit and there isn't enough clearance, it the holes aren't lined up properly.

I’m actually okay with the tight fit. It’s certainly because of press fit of the hole and pin size.

Personally, I want to also solder it better like as in maybe solder paste?, but I’m thinking of trying out the next one with press fit only, just to see what happens and not trying to heat it. I think I am comfortable enough now to put this in a system I care about and take it for a real spin.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-