VOGONS

Reply 41 of 58, by MajinPowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2022-08-04, 07:37:

There´s also a "INT13" BIOS available for this board (6.201.900 from 1999)

http://cwcyrix.duckdns.org/ftp-archives/ftp.f … /pa-2005/int13/

Maybe this might help to fix the hd-size limit.

I did end up updating the BIOs to 6201j900, (The INT13 One) this is what allowed 32GB drives to work.

I did find this patched bios to allow 128GB drives but not sure how stable/reliable a "patched/hacked" BIOS would be.
https://www.jan-hill.com/bios.html

Reply 42 of 58, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I successfully tried several of those BIOSes.
It´s "ugly patch" means that BIOS will report HDs larger that 32GB wrong but the OS will report, address and use them correctly.
Otherwise I found no side effects.

Reply 43 of 58, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MajinPowers wrote on 2022-08-04, 18:03:
I did end up updating the BIOs to 6201j900, (The INT13 One) this is what allowed 32GB drives to work. […]
Show full quote

I did end up updating the BIOs to 6201j900, (The INT13 One) this is what allowed 32GB drives to work.

I did find this patched bios to allow 128GB drives but not sure how stable/reliable a "patched/hacked" BIOS would be.

DIY Bios Modding guide Jan Steunebrink k6-2+/3+ 128gb

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 44 of 58, by MajinPowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seem to be getting poor/strange performance in some games.
Even when Windows boots the sound that gets played stutters sometimes. Is this normal? I don't see any IRQ conflicts with the Sound Blaster.

Shadow Warriors is having sound issues as well as the game locking up when trying to run setup. the lockups seems to go away if I drop the CPU down to 200.
The Lucas Arts games was also crashing and throwing errors @ 233 but work fine @ 200.
Tyrian 2000 works fine for a few mins then the sound effects start distorting before they stop completely but the music has no issues.
Gabriel Knight 3 - very poor performance on opening cutscene.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot these problems?

I tried moving the VooDoo card and SBAWE64 into other slots but makes no difference.

Having a hard time finding 3dfx patches also. anyone know where to find them? Been look for Screamer Rally patch.

Reply 45 of 58, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The windows sound always likes to stutter for me

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 46 of 58, by MajinPowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been researching the problem I have been getting with the P233 and have found articles about an RTE200 (divide by zero) bug some games have when ran on anything faster than P200.

Could this be what is happening with the Lucas Arts games and Shadow Warrior? I have not been able to find a list of games that does not like the P233MMX specifically.

Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-06, 16:51:

The windows sound always likes to stutter for me

That is good to know. I didn't remember the stuttering sound but that could just be my old man brain! 🤣

Reply 47 of 58, by MajinPowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone have a link on what games are supported on 3dfx VooDoo 4?
I been trying to get Screamer Rally working for days. The game sees the card and loads but the picture is garbled and flickering.

Same thing Phil describes for Screamer 2 in this link https://www.philscomputerlab.com/screamer-2--bleifuss.html
I tried that driver but don't recognize the 3dfx card. I tried drivers from all the reference packs I could find for the VooDoo4 but no luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update:
I got Screamer Rally working on the VooDoo 4 finally! I downloaded all the reference drivers from falconfly.3dfx and just started going backwards from VooDoo 4 till I got one that worked.
The only driver that will work for the VooDoo 4 to play this game is the 3dfx reference beta driver - 3dfx Voodoo3 V1.04.01b
This fixed the interlacing image video problems with the game!

Attachments

• IMG_1906.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1906.jpeg
    File size
    1.82 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_1905.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1905.jpeg
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 48 of 58, by MajinPowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got everything built and put together proper. I ended up using the Compact Flash Cards because the SATA to IDE adapters I got would not work with Master/Slave setup.
If anyone can recommend some quality adapters that will work with Windows DMA and Master/Slave please do.

Only thing I have left is a Sound Blaster case badge I am waiting on and a SIMMCONN Revival AWE 64 Memory Expansion Card and memory for the AWE64 Gold.

Still have a lot of work getting some of these old 3dfx games working but thats half the fun I guess.

Hopefully this build will last. I tried to buy as much new parts as I could as everything else I had just kept failing. I have been working on this setup for a bit.

Attached is my new setup.

Attachments

• NewSetup01.jpeg
    Filename
    NewSetup01.jpeg
    File size
    1.67 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • NewSetup00.jpeg
    Filename
    NewSetup00.jpeg
    File size
    1.64 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 49 of 58, by MajinPowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SIMMCONN REVIVAL AWE 64 GOLD MEMORY EXPANSION CARD
32MB SIMM from Memory Masters.

Got my last hardware today to finish the build.
Installed and everything is working great!

Anyone got links to share for some good sound banks?

Attachments

• DOS_Memory_Check.jpeg
    Filename
    DOS_Memory_Check.jpeg
    File size
    1.67 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • Installed01.jpeg
    Filename
    Installed01.jpeg
    File size
    1.64 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • Memory_Installed.jpeg
    Filename
    Memory_Installed.jpeg
    File size
    1.64 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • SIMMCONN_Memory.jpeg
    Filename
    SIMMCONN_Memory.jpeg
    File size
    1.62 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 50 of 58, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MajinPowers wrote on 2022-08-04, 18:03:
I did end up updating the BIOs to 6201j900, (The INT13 One) this is what allowed 32GB drives to work. […]
Show full quote

Hi MajinPowers,

That’s a great looking socket 7 build you have there! 😀

I read about your troubles with the Promise Ultra66 and the 32GB HDD limit on the on-board IDE ports. So I’ve made a patched PA-2005 6201J900 BIOS with full 128GiB/137GB support, in case you want to use larger drives.

I’ve fixed both the 32GB and 64GB limit bugs, but for all other functions this patched BIOS is identical to the original 6201J900 BIOS.
I used the same “nice” bugfixes as the Wims BIOS team used for their long list of patched BIOSes at https://www.wimsbios.com/large-hdd-patched-bios.jsp
Also my patched K6plus BIOSes have the same 32GB/64GB bug fixes.

You can download this patched BIOS from my website at http://www.steunebrink.info/bios/PA2005j0.zip
If you are going to use it, please let us know how it works.

While I was at it, I looked into the 6201J900 BIOS for its CPU support. I found it to be surprisingly limited for a 1999 BIOS. It is the same as in the 1997 619J900 BIOS. It seems the only difference between these two BIOS versions is the addition of Int 13h Extensions for > 8GB HDD support and a fix for the Y2K bug in the 6201J900 BIOS.

Version 6201J900 CPU support:
• Intel Pentium and Pentium MMX: Yes
• Intel Pentium Overdrive MMX: Yes
• Intel Tillamook: No
• IDT Winchip and Winchip 2(A)(B): No
• Cyrix 6x86 and 6x86MX: Yes
• AMD K5: Yes
• AMD K6: only the 3.2V model 6. The 2.2V K6 model 7 and all later K6-2(+)/-III(+) models: No

Essentially, all CPUs faster than 233MHz are not supported. Not surprising for this PA-2005 board with its minimum 2.8V Vcore and maximum x3.5 multiplier settings. 😉

So when you are going to mod the VRM or use an interposer for faster CPU support, the BIOS needs to be patched further as well...

Jan

Edit: Updated the link to the patched PA-2005 BIOS.

Last edited by Chkcpu on 2023-06-07, 11:56. Edited 1 time in total.

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page

Reply 51 of 58, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Jan, you are a gift. Thank you for your amazing contributions!

I have a solution to the hardware side of the problem btw.

Check out my pcb projects.

Sphere's PCB projects.

The motherboard tweaker and voltage interposer tweaker should help with voltage.

The other tweakers can help with multipliers and tillamook support

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 52 of 58, by MajinPowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Chkcpu wrote on 2022-08-14, 15:20:
Hi MajinPowers, […]
Show full quote

Hi MajinPowers,

I read about your troubles with the Promise Ultra66 and the 32GB HDD limit on the on-board IDE ports. So I’ve made a patched PA-2005 6201J900 BIOS with full 128GiB/137GB support, in case you want to use larger drives.

I’ve fixed both the 32GB and 64GB limit bugs, but for all other functions this patched BIOS is identical to the original 6201J900 BIOS.
I used the same “nice” bugfixes as the Wims BIOS team used for their long list of patched BIOSes at https://www.wimsbios.com/large-hdd-patched-bios.jsp

You can download this patched BIOS from my website at http://home.hccnet.nl/j.steunebrink/PA2005j0.zip

While I was at it, I looked into the 6201J900 BIOS for its CPU support. I found it to be surprisingly limited for a 1999 BIOS. It is the same as in the 1997 619J900 BIOS. It seems the only difference between these two BIOS versions is the addition of Int 13h Extensions for > 8GB HDD support and a fix for the Y2K bug in the 6201J900 BIOS.

• AMD K6: only the 3.2V model 6. The 2.2V K6 model 7 and all later K6-2(+)/-III(+) models: No

Essentially, all CPUs faster than 233MHz are not supported. Not surprising for this PA-2005 board with its minimum 2.8V Vcore and maximum x3.5 multiplier settings. 😉

So when you are going to mod the VRM or use an interposer for faster CPU support, the BIOS needs to be patched further as well...

Jan

Thank you!
I will be testing this out just need to order some better IDE to SATA adapters as the ones I got off eBay are junk. If anyone can recommend a good brand that allows for master / slave please do.

Last edited by MajinPowers on 2022-08-15, 13:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 53 of 58, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven’t met an adapter from ide to sata that I liked.

But I like my promise sata II tx4 cards

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 54 of 58, by MajinPowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-15, 07:03:

I haven’t met an adapter from ide to sata that I liked.

But I like my promise sata II tx4 cards

One of these? Anything special to make it work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392117691161?hash=it … YgAAOSwk6dbjtGD

Reply 55 of 58, by Skorbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MajinPowers wrote on 2022-08-15, 06:50:
Chkcpu wrote on 2022-08-14, 15:20:
Hi MajinPowers, […]
Show full quote

Hi MajinPowers,

You can download this patched BIOS from my website at http://home.hccnet.nl/j.steunebrink/PA2005j0.zip

Jan

Thank you!
I will be testing this out just need to order some better IDE to SATA adapters as the ones I got off eBay are junk. If anyone can recommend a good brand that allows for master / slave please do.

Dear Majin,

I know that I am really late to the party, but this thread is the only reference I found for this patched bios from Jan.
Could you tell me if it worked for you and is it possible to share the bios?
The link from Jan is unfortunately not longer working and this specific bios it is not included in the list on http://www.steunebrink.info/k6plus.htm

Many thanks in advance for your help!

EDIT: I found that BIOS on his new website by just using a typical link for one of his patched BIOSes and replacing the name of the file with "PA2005jo.zip".
So the final link to download the file was now: www.steunebrink.info/bios/PA2005j0.zip
I hope this helps other owner of the FIC PA-2005 as well.

Reply 56 of 58, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Skorbin,

Okay, you found the new location of the patched PA-2005 BIOS! 😀
Yes, due to the move of my website to a new domain, I had to change the links to all the BIOS files as well.

Because the old direct link doesn't work anymore, I've update this link in my earlier reply as well.

Cheers, Jan

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page

Reply 57 of 58, by Skorbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Chkcpu wrote on 2023-06-07, 12:03:
Hi Skorbin, […]
Show full quote

Hi Skorbin,

Okay, you found the new location of the patched PA-2005 BIOS! 😀
Yes, due to the move of my website to a new domain, I had to change the links to all the BIOS files as well.

Because the old direct link doesn't work anymore, I've update this link in my earlier reply as well.

Cheers, Jan

Hi Jan,

I have always wanted to thank you: I've seen all these nicely modified BIOSes on your website and I know that this work is sometimes quite tedious.
In the past I did some patching for 771 Xeon on socket 775, but this is way easier with the tools available for those platforms.

My ASUS TXP4 is happily running an AMD K6 III-400 with your BIOS.
And now, as I got hold of a FIC PA-2205 myself, I am so happy that this modified BIOS is available as well.
When the system is up and running, I will give you a feedback. Might take some time, though (still need to get and test some more components first).

Cheers, Axel

Reply 58 of 58, by moulder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have problem with my 40gb hdd with this motherboard. I've installed patched PA-2005 6201J900 BIOS with full 128GiB/137GB support, bios detects hdd. But when I try to install win98 it gives me writing to.hdd errors or it installs but after reset it shows win98 splashscreen and then computer hangs. What could be a reason? Hdd is ok I suppose. Should I set something specific in the bios -maybe enter manually hdd parameters (cylinders, heads and so on)?