VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by roadkillusa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would it ever be possible for DosBox to run as its own operating system? kind of like how the original Dos was.

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, not unless you wanted to spent a ton of hours coding re-creating the wheel to run it on a very small amount of supported hardware which would take far more time than it takes to code DOSBox itself.
The closest you'll likely ever get is this DosBox Distro - A LiveUSB made simple or similar.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 7, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-08-09, 00:55:

What would be the point anyway?

Dos box os would be the point! 😀

Sounds like a wonderful idea.

But it does sound easier to just use/mod old operating systems instead of making a new old one though. So I can see where the “what would be the point” comes from 🤣

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 7, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We have DOS and FreeDOS. DOSBox was never meant to be an OS of its own and I don't think there would be any benefit to it over the other two.

If it's for compatibility with old software on old hardware, then DOS already there, if there is compatibility with old software with new hardware, FreeDOS is already there (serviceable and inproving).

I also don't think that DOSBox itself can be turned into an OS. You'd have to write a completely new OS from the ground up with DOSBox level compatibility and probably you could reuse some of the code, but what comes out would be essentially a completely different thing than DOSBox.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, it would just be DOS then with maybe some sound card emulators thrown in.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 7, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-08-09, 05:48:

We have DOS and FreeDOS. DOSBox was never meant to be an OS of its own and I don't think there would be any benefit to it over the other two.

If it's for compatibility with old software on old hardware, then DOS already there, if there is compatibility with old software with new hardware, FreeDOS is already there (serviceable and inproving).

I also don't think that DOSBox itself can be turned into an OS. You'd have to write a completely new OS from the ground up with DOSBox level compatibility and probably you could reuse some of the code, but what comes out would be essentially a completely different thing than DOSBox.

What comes out would be a hybrid of both old DOS, Free DOS and what ever Frankenstein parts of DOSBox you could manage to port over in a functioning state, in the end it wouldn't be any better than DOS or FreeDos and would likely take a long time to debug and get working correctly across hundreds of bits of hardware both old and new. ohh.. and then you also have to debug the thousands of bits of software for compatibility with the Franken OS ...

Honestly . .fuck that, way too much work for little to no pay off when we already have perfectly serviceable working DOS based Operating Systems already.

I agree with your assessment, why reinvent the wheel when we already have perfect wheels at home.

DOSBox is its own thing and should remain as such I dont get this thread at all or the desire for DOSBox to be more than it is already.

Reply 7 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox could be ported to UEFI, maybe, just like DOOM..
UEFI is a (not so) miniature OS, kind of.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_UEFI

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//