VOGONS

First post, by Demo85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have a few old Dell cases from the P1 and 2 eras that I'm doing "sleeper" builds in. And by sleeper I mean a P4 based Win98 machine and a third gen Core based XP machine in. I need more of these clip in mobo standoffs. I cannot for the life of me find anything online about just buying the clips. You have two variants of this style of clip, one with the hook as i'm showing and the other that's threaded for a standard mounting screw. I'd much prefer the one threaded for mounting screws. Does anyone know where I can find a a pack? Outside of buying another old system just to salvage the stand offs which is a little pricy and a bit of a waste.
X9vtG9y.jpg

Thanks for any insight you masters of retro can provide!

Reply 2 of 32, by Demo85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2022-08-12, 08:28:

Could you adapt the hole to take a normal standoff using a nut or something?

WS0eGrj.jpg

Here is the case, you see them square holes? That's what the the standoffs clip into. I'm sure someone with the right skill set could fabricate something to work with ease, and with enough time I bet I could too but due to time and wanting a quality finished product I'd much rather try and get the right clips and be done with it without spending days/weeks trying to figure something out only for it to end up looking armature at best.

Reply 3 of 32, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

b9cb850e699751be6b337172a5325955.jpg?d=400x400
Maybe some cage nuts for server racks are a base for a new solution.
I imagine a cage nut with a washer on it to screw in regular standoffs or a stack of washers and a longer screw...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 4 of 32, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DerBaum wrote on 2022-08-12, 11:07:

I imagine a cage nut with a washer on it to screw in regular standoffs or a stack of washers and a longer screw...

Yeah I was just thinking that. If you google "M3 cage nut", "M3 clip nut" or "6-32 cage nut", "6-32 clip nut" etc then you get some promising results.

Some other alternatives here - Re: Where to buy these metal standoffs?

Reply 5 of 32, by Demo85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies, found these on FleaBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/302486046153?hash=it … 1sAAOSwttRZuaBg, they call for a 3/8 square hole and the case has 1/4 inch holes as far as I can measure. Should be able to file the "wings" to fit fairly easily then i'll just measure to see where i'm at for stand off height. Ton's of options for different height standoffs. When they get here and I test fit i'll report back in case anyone else finds this thread in the future.

Reply 6 of 32, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are the closest thing that I've found: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274704614636?chn=ps& … XwaAu4BEALw_wcB

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 7 of 32, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-08-12, 14:59:

These are the closest thing that I've found:

Some/most motherboards expect the screw holes to be electrically connected to the case. It may not matter though, except for maybe EMI reasons

Reply 8 of 32, by Demo85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These are the closest thing that I've found: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274704614636?chn=ps& … XwaAu4BEALw_wcB

I bought them, they don't fit at all. When you file them they kinds start crumbling apart.

Reply 9 of 32, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Demo85 wrote on 2022-08-12, 22:16:

I bought them, they don't fit at all. When you file them they kinds start crumbling apart.

Good to know, I'll not recommend them again.

Reply 10 of 32, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These standoffs with that hook is for specific board (particularly of Dell), that has slot in it and is correct height, and this type of case also use another kind of snap in with screw standoff of same height. I had similar case once by Micron to hold a N270 Atom motherboard to control heat output during one hot wave summer long ago during when N270 Atom days was current. This was shortest lived PC ever. Only several months on XP. Did well but little slow.

A quick check of ebay is no luck. My suggestion: Pair of large washers with a nut of correct thread for each standard height brass standoffs should bring to proper height. Needs to adjust some on positioning but easier way is clamp the standoffs with a counter sink screw heads mounted to the motherboard in interest for accurate positioning and install the board on washers and tighten nuts from back. Finish by replacing the screws with standard screws.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 11 of 32, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I have one or two

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 12 of 32, by Demo85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-08-12, 22:20:

Yeah, I wish I took some pictures of me messing with them but even the few I could get to fit they didn't snap in as securely as I liked and the vast majority didn't like to be filed and would crumble away as I filed them.

pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-08-12, 23:58:

These standoffs with that hook is for specific board (particularly of Dell), that has slot in it and is correct height, and this type of case also use another kind of snap in with screw standoff of same height. I had similar case once by Micron to hold a N270 Atom motherboard to control heat output during one hot wave summer long ago during when N270 Atom days was current. This was shortest lived PC ever. Only several months on XP. Did well but little slow.

A quick check of ebay is no luck. My suggestion: Pair of large washers with a nut of correct thread for each standard height brass standoffs should bring to proper height. Needs to adjust some on positioning but easier way is clamp the standoffs with a counter sink screw heads mounted to the motherboard in interest for accurate positioning and install the board on washers and tighten nuts from back. Finish by replacing the screws with standard screws.

Cheers,

That not the case, the Dell mobo that comes out of these cases have regular ATX mounting holes in them and I currently have a gigabyte Z77 board for my XP build mounted in with the hook style and it's perfectly oriented with the IO area and expansion card area.

Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-13, 00:39:

I'd love to buy them off ya if your willing.

Reply 13 of 32, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many cases used the threaded standoffs in the late nineties to early 2000s, Lian Li and Enlight to name two. My first ever ATX case was an Elan Vital T10 and it also used them. With that in mind, maybe you can find an old case that has them? The Elan Vital would be a good candidate because they are an easy case to dislike. I was given mine by the IT person where I was working in 2001 because she hated them and scrapped them whenever she rebuilt a computer that had one. https://www.pcstats.com/articles/693/index.html

Attachments

Reply 14 of 32, by Ricimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a vague recollection of having some of these and had a bit of a hunt around.

Are these suitable?

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    Filename
    stand.jpg
    File size
    130.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 16 of 32, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Demo85 wrote on 2022-08-13, 04:29:
Yeah, I wish I took some pictures of me messing with them but even the few I could get to fit they didn't snap in as securely as […]
Show full quote
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-08-12, 22:20:

Yeah, I wish I took some pictures of me messing with them but even the few I could get to fit they didn't snap in as securely as I liked and the vast majority didn't like to be filed and would crumble away as I filed them.

pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-08-12, 23:58:

Cheers,

That not the case, the Dell mobo that comes out of these cases have regular ATX mounting holes in them and I currently have a gigabyte Z77 board for my XP build mounted in with the hook style and it's perfectly oriented with the IO area and expansion card area.

Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-13, 00:39:

I'd love to buy them off ya if your willing.

Pm me, I can check what I have.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 17 of 32, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasteri wrote on 2022-08-12, 11:57:

Yeah I was just thinking that. If you google "M3 cage nut", "M3 clip nut" or "6-32 cage nut", "6-32 clip nut" etc then you get some promising results.

Rack bolts are way, way, way too large to fit through motherboard holes.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 32, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-08-13, 22:16:
rasteri wrote on 2022-08-12, 11:57:

Rack bolts are way, way, way too large to fit through motherboard holes.

Yea, they're usually M6 iirc.