VOGONS

First post, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Motherboard: P4i65G
Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz
Graphic: Radeon 9600 128MB RAM (red PCB)
RAM: 512MB
Sound: Aureal Vortex 2

Just general question, I think I can do a bit more with this build as I have only 128MB RAM GPU. 😁 Maybe something else? I own GeForce FX 5700L(ame)E(dition) with 128MB RAM, GF 4 Ti 4200 one with 64MB and one with 128MB with V2 SLI build. Any advices welcome however pricey ones won't be able to materialize. 🤣

Reply 1 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a cool setup, I used to be a proud Pentium IV user myself. 🙂👍
Many people made fun of the Prescott I had at the time, but say what you want - the single core performance was excellent.
Still is, with applications/games not making good use of threading.
And for those that are making, hyper-threading can help a bit.

Personally, I would expand the memory a bit.
512MB isn't bad, but performance will increase again past 2GB or so.
Hm, sorry, can't be more precise here, I'm afraid.
Things don't go exactly linear when it comes to increase of performance, I believe.

Otherwise, I think the configuration is very good.
Maybe adding a Voodoo 1 or 2 might be worth it, if you find one for little money.
There are XP drivers on the FalconFly mirrors, but you may already know that. 😅

Edit: Or add a soundcard with the latest Aureal A3D support? Not sure. 🤷‍♂️
Edit: Oops. You already did, my bad. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 11, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welp, I have unused spare Voodoo 1 4MB but isn't this build too fast for Voodoo 1? Not to point out I have 3 weaker PCs with V1s and V2 SLI and single V2 with stronger non-glide GPUs. 😉 I was thinking to replace Radeon 9600 to something with 256MB of RAM at least or even 512 if that's no problem for unoficially patched 98SE or ME as with this build I don't really use DOS mode except few compatible titles from DOS-window. 😀

Reply 4 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2022-08-12, 17:53:

Waste of a Voodoo to put one in such a machine. Voodoos are best for mid-1990s machines, where they give a big boost to performance.

Well, yes, I just thought the Glide wrappers aren't exactly mature yet.
At least not on late 90s/early 2000s hardware.
Most don't even run on DirectX 6/7 hardware anymore.
Except some very old ones which work, but have some graphical glitches (tried myself one of them on an old Pentium 3 laptop with XP).

The current wrappers need DirectX 9 and higher, from what I've read online.
Not sure if a Pentium IV running XP is so good at this, thus.
A real, second hand Voodoo 1 or 2 may cause less trouble here.
It's not interfering with the new drivers of the host's modern GPU, for example.
So in theory, someone doesn't need to make sacrifices in order to run both new and old games.

Edit: I forgot to mention..
Did some experiments with a Voodoo one and two years ago.
The Pentium 133 I had for testing did barely make use of the Voodoo's capabilities.
The PC itself was way too slow for them.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V1's get instability issues with fast machines, V2's are just overrated with a lot of disregard about slow texture bandwidth and SLI faults. Both are most appropriate for 5th/6th gen systems.

The amount of vram's no real big concern, it's fine for 2002-2006 stuff. Maaaaaaaaybe swapping out the Vortex 2 for something less crash-prone so you could actually use a DirectX for playing the games those 9600s and P4s are made for.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anything based on Intel 865 chipset is a great P4 base and Asrock does make some good ones.
Not that my opinion matters but I am with Errius, no sense putting a Voodoo 1 or 2 in a P4, would use them maybe in a P.Pro or P2/P3...
My audio would be an early Creative Live card, but that is just me...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 11, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's almost the same as my P4 build: https://gamesystemrequirements.com/user/rando … /devices/289373
For Windows 98 maybe adding something to handle EAX besides A3D. But otherwise I wouldn't change anything. You could go for a faster graphics card, but unless you use something like 1600×1200 resolution it's not necessary for W9x era games.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 8 of 11, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I own Audigy 2 ZS Gold so that's not a problem as well however I'm not sure which card has better DOS (only these compatible under winDOS window) compatibility. Also I got dirty cheap $8,82 Ati Sapphire Radeon 9550, is it better than Radeon 9600? Bot have 128MB RAM and the same drivers work. 😁

Reply 11 of 11, by ynopot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, you don't need to change anything.
The only thing I would do is give this system to an office worker or donate it to charity.
Just because it's a Pentium 4 with DDR1
))

Sorry