VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kennyrh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've managed to get a lot of old Win 95/98 racing games to work, but one of the few to defeat me is Speed Busters from Ubisoft . . .

. . .I can install it okay and with the large and small patches I can get it to run the FMV intro, but as soon as a track loads it crashes back to Windows.

Has anybody had any luck getting this game to run because it's REALLY starting to bug me . . . 😠

I have a Pentium 4 and a dodgy Geforce 6200LE card running Windows XP SP2.

Reply 1 of 5, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need the patch I think. I have it running fine, but if you install the large add-ons pack (extra cars and cockpit views) it'll never work. You have to then install the regular patch over the top (losing detailed textures/in-car view but keeps new extra cars).

Reply 2 of 5, by kennyrh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah . . .I read somewhere that if you install the big add-on patch and then the small patch (spdb_p1.zip) then it runs in XP.

But i've tried and I get nothing. If I JUST install the add-on patch then i get FMV and menu but as soon as a track loads it crashes.

Could it be graphics card related ??

Reply 3 of 5, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm odd. I install game and it works. Big patch causes it to crash. Small patch works.

Ah, I just checked; I got my copy of Speedbusters in the USA, so the patches I have are:

1. spbaddon.exe (25.2MB) full patch with new cars etc - breaks game (with or without Glide wrapper)

2. patch_sb_us.exe (1.53MB)

Not sure then about other countries versions. I use Win98 compatibility on the SpeedBusters.exe file by the way. Try fiddling with the graphics options too in the boot up menu perhaps.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 5 of 5, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With Nvidia's latest drivers it'll all go blank after the intro videos. I tried dgvoodoo but it doesn't work either. Are there others that are claimed to work?