What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 4140 of 5847, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-07-14, 15:42:

I loved red faction I would spend more time blasting tunnels and exploring than actually playing the game. Red Faction 2 was decent as well.

when i finished red faction i looked back and thought the game became more and more fun as it went on

then i started red faction 2. well, its good enough but its a very different game. It seemed more like some kind of halo game than the first red faction. Still entertaining though, but not quite as good imo

Reply 4141 of 5847, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerry wrote on 2022-07-26, 07:58:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-07-14, 15:42:

I loved red faction I would spend more time blasting tunnels and exploring than actually playing the game. Red Faction 2 was decent as well.

when i finished red faction i looked back and thought the game became more and more fun as it went on

then i started red faction 2. well, its good enough but its a very different game. It seemed more like some kind of halo game than the first red faction. Still entertaining though, but not quite as good imo

That's a very good way of describing Red Faction 2. It wasn't as good as the first one but I still got some enjoyment out of it.

Reply 4143 of 5847, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nyerguds2 wrote on 2022-07-25, 22:35:

I've been madly addicted to Dangerous Dave since I bought John Romero's collection box of it a few months ago.

Finally managed to record a full playthrough including all special areas, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U1Mg98gMX8

I've been toying with the idea of going for a full rerun of classic C&C games and in pops the man himself, since you seem to be genuine let me say thank you for making it possible to easily go back to one of my all time favorite games throughout the years whenever I've felt like there's not enough mammoth tanks and Frank Klepacki in my life 👍

Which seems to be every 2-3 years, so yeah.

Reply 4144 of 5847, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nox Archaist (PC [Apple II])

This is an extremely ambitious "old-school" RPG developed and released for the Apple II in 2020. It's a bit more advanced technically than Ultima V, and is an interesting look at what a possible followup to that legendary game might have looked like on the Apple II. It runs using a custom Apple II emulator when played on Steam, but the folder contains floppy disk images (and a HD image) that will run on an actual Apple II; it even supports a Mockingboard sound card if you have one installed.

The easiest way to explain this is: it's an Ultima V clone (maybe "love letter" is better). It plays pretty much exactly like an Ultima game, with an overhead view while exploring (even while in dungeons), turn-based combat, and a keyword parser-based conversation system (complete with NAME and JOB). It does, however, have a unique setting and unique mechanics; it's a bit more complex than Ultima V, with a free-form character development system based on skills that increase both through use and through training. There are also some fun touches... for example, you can change your tone of voice during conversation (you need to YELL to communicate with some of the older NPCs who are hard of hearing).

I'm about six hours in, and it has a tough but fair and satisfying difficulty curve. Early on, minor equipment upgrades, training sessions, and even a single level up all lead to a noticeable improvement in survivability and lethality. No complaints so far.

The UI is definitely a throwback to the old Ultima games, but there have been some improvements. The view window is much larger than in the old Ultima games (including Ultima VI), making exploration a lot more comfortable. The game provides an in-game quest log that lists major and minor quests (though just in a simple list). The game is controlled through keyboard commands like in Ultima ('I' to ignite torch, etc.), but the character/equipment menu (accessed by tapping TAB twice) is quite modern, making it very easy to check character stats and ready/remove equipment. It took me only a minute or so to get used to it all.

So far, so good. I've now explored a good portion of the starting island (including, I think, all the towns), so my next goal is to start checking out the caves in the central mountains.

Last edited by newtmonkey on 2022-08-17, 17:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4145 of 5847, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Long Dark
Playing the story mode. The survival aspects are annoying but it is a survival game, typical inventory issues, graphics are subpar but fine.
Playing the Epic version offline with the an epic emulator. No performance or crash issues.
Episode 5 isn't out yet so hopefully I'll remember how to play this game when it eventually does.
Don't have any intent on playing the Sandbox mode since those are usually a time suck and my backlog is too large, I am keeping a list of sandbox games to mabye eventually go back to so this will go on that.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4147 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
newtmonkey wrote on 2022-07-31, 12:15:
Nox Archaist (PC [Apple II]) […]
Show full quote

This is an extremely ambitious "old-school" RPG developed and released for the Apple II in 2020. It's a bit more advanced technically than Ultima V, and is an interesting look at what a possible followup to that legendary game might have looked like on the Apple II. It runs using a custom Apple II emulator when played on Steam, but the folder contains floppy disk images (and a HD image) that will run on an actual Apple II; it even supports a Mockingboard sound card if you have one installed.

The easiest way to explain this is: it's an Ultima V clone (maybe "love letter" is better). It plays pretty much exactly like an Ultima game, with an overhead view while exploring (even while in dungeons), turn-based combat, and a keywork parser-based conversation system (complete with NAME and JOB). It does, however, have a unique setting and unique mechanics; it's a bit more complex than Ultima V, with a free-form character development system based on skills that increase both through use and through training. There are also some fun touches... for example, you can change your tone of voice during conversation (you need to YELL to communicate with some of the older NPCs who are hard of hearing).

I'm about six hours in, and it has a tough but fair and satisfying difficulty curve. Early on, minor equipment upgrades, training sessions, and even a single level up all lead to a noticeable improvement in survivability and lethality. No complaints so far.

The UI is definitely a throwback to the old Ultima games, but there have been some improvements. The view window is much larger than in the old Ultima games (including Ultima VI), making exploration a lot more comfortable. The game provides an in-game quest log that lists major and minor quests (though just in a simple list). The game is controlled through keyboard commands like in Ultima ('I' to ignite torch, etc.), but the character/equipment menu (accessed by tapping TAB twice) is quite modern, making it very easy to check character stats and ready/remove equipment. It took me only a minute or so to get used to it all.

So far, so good. I've now explored a good portion of the starting island (including, I think, all the towns), so my next goal is to start checking out the caves in the central mountains.

Keep us posted on your progress. This sounds intriguing. Are you playing in emulation or on your Apple? I'd be tempted to play through AppleWin for the Mockingboard emulation...

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4148 of 5847, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2022-08-03, 22:07:

Keep us posted on your progress. This sounds intriguing. Are you playing in emulation or on your Apple? I'd be tempted to play through AppleWin for the Mockingboard emulation...

I'm playing this one on an emulator, for the same reason (no Mockingboard on my IIc) and also because I don't want to swap disks, etc. I haven't had much time to play this week, but plan on putting a few hours in over the weekend!

Reply 4149 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
newtmonkey wrote on 2022-08-04, 15:10:
clueless1 wrote on 2022-08-03, 22:07:

I'm playing this one on an emulator, for the same reason (no Mockingboard on my IIc) and also because I don't want to swap disks, etc. I haven't had much time to play this week, but plan on putting a few hours in over the weekend!

I still regret donating my Apple IIe, complete with 80-column card and Mockingboard, to my elementary school after college (when I got my first IBM-compatible 386). They were probably already on an Intel processor-based system. But I didn't know then what I know now. Sigh...

Reply 4150 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Started playing Sniper: Elite 4 a little over a week ago. I've never been a fan of 3rd person shooters, but I'm really liking how this one is set up. The emphasis on stealth, patience and sniping is right up my alley. Looks great and plays great on my system. I'm in the beginning parts of the 2nd mission. I just love WW2 Nazi shooters and the setting in Italy is gorgeous. Easy to get in and out of. I can play 5 minutes or a couple of hours. There are auto saves as well as 10 manual save slots. Best of all worlds. So far this is a gem.

Reply 4151 of 5847, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just completed F.E.A.R (it's been in my GOG library for ages) and now I've moved onto Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

FEAR was pretty good. Story was a bit silly but quite well told with minimal "camera flies out of your head cutscenes". The AI was a bit dodgy with bullets / guns going through wall corners, ai doing vaults and rolls and then unnaturally, unpredictability and unintentionally animating so it was hard to hit them. I'll probably track down FEAR 2.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 4152 of 5847, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2022-08-13, 20:39:

I just completed F.E.A.R (it's been in my GOG library for ages) and now I've moved onto Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

I like both of these. 👍🏼 Now I have to find some time to play the two expansion campaigns of FEAR.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4153 of 5847, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally had a couple of hours free to play this a bit more last night. I followed up on a sub-quest and explored some mountain caves, and leveled up a few characters.

Leveling up in this game is a real treat; you immediately get to spend 12 points on your main attributes (STR, DEX, INT), and earn six more training points for each skill (melee, ranged, lockpicking, critical hit, dodge). In order to train, you need to find trainers in the towns, and a major goal in the early part of the game is to explore and find these people. On top of that, you also improve your skills through use. It's a pretty cool system.

After leveling up, I put my quest on hold and headed back to town to sell extra equipment and train. I had already located the melee and ranged trainers, and had only heard some rumors about the rest in taverns. I decided to spend some time tracking down the lockpicking and dodge trainers for my rogue, and was able to find them after just a bit of information gathering. I hadn't been able to find these trainers until now, so I had a lot of training points to spend for that character!

These trainers only show up at night, and I stumbled upon the thread to another sub-quest while searching for them. I decided to give it a shot, and was able to complete it. Completing a sub-quest typically rewards you with a nice purse of gold, and I immediately spent it all on training everyone else in their important skills.

My next goal is to complete the sub-quest in the caves. From there, it's probably time to buy a boat and start exploring the rest of the world as I plan on replacing my "paladin" (fighter/mage) with a another pure mage.

---

Duke Nukem (PC)
I've been slowly playing through this as I have time here and there. I remember playing this back when it was released, downloaded from a local BBS, and not being very impressed... however, I really like this game now! The level design is suprisingly good, and there are hardly any cheap hits if you play carefully. There's something really charming about this game, and I even like the PC speaker sound effects.

Anyway, I got through three levels in one sitting, so I must be pretty close to the end of Episode One.

Reply 4154 of 5847, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some of you may have heard of these, but not I. Going to give these a whirl this weekend.

1.) Redneck Rampage Remake (alpha build)

Video looks pretty opossum tootin gewd: https://youtu.be/FkuzaIuhAfo

2.) Wing Commander IV Remaster Demo

Found out about this one via PC Gamer: https://www.pcgamer.com/wing-commander-iv-rem … gaming-classic/

3.) Last, but not least. This stealth game. Tried their Discord beta and loved it. Now GOG has an official demo. Looking forward to its release. Has a great retro/vintage 'PlayStation 1 on steroids' aesthetic to it.

Undetected Demo

Reply 4155 of 5847, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2022-08-13, 20:39:

FEAR was pretty good. Story was a bit silly but quite well told with minimal "camera flies out of your head cutscenes". The AI was a bit dodgy with bullets / guns going through wall corners, ai doing vaults and rolls and then unnaturally, unpredictability and unintentionally animating so it was hard to hit them. I'll probably track down FEAR 2.

FEAR is really a great game.

I first played it on Xbox360 and then replayed it on my retro Pentium 4 PC 😁

https://youtu.be/opkU1iF13zg

In my opinion, it is one of the best FPS ever made, above all on the AI and gameplay.
For me, the funny thing is that it is average on the horror aspect (never been scared while playing for the first time).

Reply 4156 of 5847, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Playing Descent right now... I knew and played the game since the 90s, but I never actually attempted to finish it, even the shareware version. I'm playing it using DXX - Rebirth and reached level 13 so far on Hotshot difficulty.
To be honest the game is getting a bit annoying due to some cheap enemies with hitscan weapons and the red hulks with VERY annoying homing missiles that can find me anywhere. I spend more time quickloading than actually playing the game, which is too bad because the game was being very fun until those guys were introduced.
Will give the game another chance, but if the pacing remains like this, I may skip to Descent 2.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 4157 of 5847, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gaffa2002 wrote on 2022-08-18, 23:55:

Playing Descent right now... I knew and played the game since the 90s, but I never actually attempted to finish it, even the shareware version. I'm playing it using DXX - Rebirth and reached level 13 so far on Hotshot difficulty.
To be honest the game is getting a bit annoying due to some cheap enemies with hitscan weapons and the red hulks with VERY annoying homing missiles that can find me anywhere. I spend more time quickloading than actually playing the game, which is too bad because the game was being very fun until those guys were introduced.
Will give the game another chance, but if the pacing remains like this, I may skip to Descent 2.

Vulcans are not hitscan, they're invisible projectiles with a very fast movement speed. And the robot vulcan projectiles move faster than the player's vulcan for some reason.

Descent 2 made the vulcan enemies less irritating even on Insane difficulty, but they chaotically fire all over the place, sometimes ahead of where you're moving.

When I played through Descent 1 on Insane, tri-chording is probably the only way to avoid robot vulcans but you have to be significantly far away. It's very hard to pull off but you can exit Level 7 without taking any hits by tri-chording to the exit.

It's been years since I pulled off a deathless run of Descent 1 and Descent 2 on Insane, I don't remember much of the level layout and I'm very rusty overall so I'm going to need to practice significantly.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4158 of 5847, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never heard of tri-chording before, thanks for the info.
The vulcan guys are annoying, but the ones that are really getting on my nerves are the red hulks with the homing missiles. I have no idea how to evade them, maybe tri-chording can help me outrun their missiles, but I need to give it a try.
Another thing I think makes the game a bit frustrating is the short amount of shield restoring orbs, its almost like I have to make do with the shield I get from the start of the level. No margin for errors and even hitting walls can deplete it.
Really, man. Mad props to you for ever being able to do a deathless run on insane. 😁

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 4159 of 5847, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gaffa2002 wrote on 2022-08-18, 23:55:

I spend more time quickloading than actually playing the game, which is too bad because the game was being very fun until those guys were introduced.

Not sure Descent II will be much different in this regard. If you find yourself quickloading too much on Hotshot, perhaps lower the difficulty down a notch?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys