VOGONS

Reply 3061 of 3172, by mr.gravis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nikita Lita wrote on 2022-07-26, 14:52:

This guy must be trolling now. Ignore him until he gets banned.

this is not trroling, but questions, there is nothing to ban...and it seems they didn't understand me here. How much did this sound card cost ?

Reply 3062 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lot size and therefore price of the eBay offer reduced.
I've also listed 1 lot of 3 ICs.

Gerbers probably next week.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 3063 of 3172, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The postage cost seems wrong? It costs more to send 3 to the UK than the whole lot.
Thanks for coming back to this thread 😀 I'm still attempting to make my own one but it's slow going between other projects.

Reply 3064 of 3172, by elfoam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-08-04, 14:30:

The postage cost seems wrong? It costs more to send 3 to the UK than the whole lot.
Thanks for coming back to this thread 😀 I'm still attempting to make my own one but it's slow going between other projects.

I've still been playing with the clone I was working on once in a while, well once each month :p it's more than 90% done. I learnt SOO much about sprint that I completed a couple other complex boards I've wanted to do for years. I can easily clone the C64 now which another one I wanted to do. I don't think I'll bother sending mine to the pc factory when the Argus us so close though, it's a much nicer PCB than the one I cloned.

Reply 3066 of 3172, by elfoam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IcySon55 wrote on 2022-08-11, 16:35:

Hello again,

Does anyone have an IW78C21M1 they're willing to part with?

I haven't seen one for sale in over a year, I think at this point you'll have to use the 29F800 but thankfully shock still has interwaves and that's going to ultimately be the limiting factor of how many can be built. I collected enough parts for 3 cards years ago but If I'm going to populate a full set of 5 boards I'm going to need 2 more interwaves and use the 29F800 on two of them.

Reply 3067 of 3172, by IcySon55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again everyone!

I've gone ahead and placed my Mouser order and have come across a few mistakes in the BOM by confirming that all the parts were correct against my PCB. I've also gone ahead and added a 29F800 NOR Flash chip after ordering the wrong type (TSOP48), getting a refund and then locating and ordering the correct SOP44 chip.

1x Octal Latch was missing, quantity upped to 2. (U32 and U33)
1x Alliance Memory M29F800FB55M3F2 SOP44 8Mbit NOR Flash. (29F800 for the IW78C21M1 replacement.)

Here's the updated Mouser BOM. I'm not going to call it v1.0 just yet because 40% of the parts are backordered and I haven't confirmed them yet. Even with just the SIMM slot on there it already looks good~

Attachments

Reply 3069 of 3172, by IcySon55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elfoam wrote on 2022-08-22, 15:23:

How much did the entire BOM add up to from mouser including all the out of stock parts? I need to order 2 sets and the pack of 3 interwaves from shock when the boards come out.

It was roughly around $110 CAD (free shipping yay!) for everything including the beautiful $28 72-pin SIMM connector. >_<

Reply 3070 of 3172, by elfoam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IcySon55 wrote on 2022-08-22, 15:54:

It was roughly around $110 CAD (free shipping yay!) for everything including the beautiful $28 72-pin SIMM connector. >_<

I get the idea that you are a connoisseur of fine quality connectors, I snuck a simm connector into my last mouser order but hadn't opened it up yet. Seems like I didn't meet your expectations because after comparing part numbers I ordered the tin plated version and you ordered the gold one. I will redeem myself next time and get the gold one

Reply 3071 of 3172, by IcySon55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elfoam wrote on 2022-08-22, 16:39:
IcySon55 wrote on 2022-08-22, 15:54:

I get the idea that you are a connoisseur of fine quality connectors, I snuck a simm connector into my last mouser order but hadn't opened it up yet. Seems like I didn't meet your expectations because after comparing part numbers I ordered the tin plated version and you ordered the gold one. I will redeem myself next time and get the gold one

Reading about these things (when working on my IBM Aptiva upgrades), the tin plating is prone to corrode way more easily than gold. The investment in the more expensive connector will ensure a longer ArGUS lifespan~ 😅

Reply 3072 of 3172, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IcySon55 wrote on 2022-08-22, 16:42:

Reading about these things (when working on my IBM Aptiva upgrades), the tin plating is prone to corrode way more easily than gold. The investment in the more expensive connector will ensure a longer ArGUS lifespan~ 😅

Usually the recommendation to avoid corrosion is for the contacts on the SIMM modules to mate with the same type of plating as the slot, i.e. tin-plated with tin-plated and gold-plated with gold-plated. When it comes to 72-pin SIMM modules, in my experience the ones with gold-plated contacts are more rare which would make the tin-plated slots the better choice for most modules that you will find out there.

In practice, I'm not sure if mating different types of plating really has any noticeable consequences when it comes to corrosion.

Reply 3073 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-08-22, 18:16:

Usually the recommendation to avoid corrosion is for the contacts on the SIMM modules to mate with the same type of plating as the slot, i.e. tin-plated with tin-plated and gold-plated with gold-plated. When it comes to 72-pin SIMM modules, in my experience the ones with gold-plated contacts are more rare which would make the tin-plated slots the better choice for most modules that you will find out there.

In practice, I'm not sure if mating different types of plating really has any noticeable consequences when it comes to corrosion.

totally agree with the tin/gold situation
in high moisture environments it is imperative to match materials, in normal home usage not so... I've seen 30+ years old home systems with no issues when tin+gold get mixed
but in some workplace the situation is very different

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3074 of 3172, by IcySon55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-08-22, 18:16:

Looking at the parts box, I have 2x 32MB gold plated 72pin SIMMs. I recall reading (much earlier in this thread) that the maximum supported is 16MB. Is that a soft upper limit or a hard limit on the modules themselves?
Will the first 16MB of my 32MB modules work or do I need an actual 16MB module?

Thanks!

Reply 3078 of 3172, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
IcySon55 wrote on 2022-08-24, 17:06:

This thing was not cheap... Anybody need some chips burned? 🤣

It is very cheap on ebay -- less than $8:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324434081064

On ali should be several times cheaper...

Reply 3079 of 3172, by IcySon55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
georgel wrote on 2022-08-24, 20:05:

It is very cheap on ebay -- less than $8:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324434081064

On ali should be several times cheaper...

I must have bought a more expensive modular thing... it was $24.24 CAD on Ali.

Edit: The linked eBay adapter doesn't ship to Canada. 🤣

Last edited by IcySon55 on 2022-08-24, 22:04. Edited 2 times in total.