VOGONS

First post, by Towncivilian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have an abit BX133-RAID motherboard which has been fully recapped about 10 years ago, and some SMD caps were added within the CPU socket as well. This motherboard was the core of my second computer, after my Sony Vaio PCV-120 suffered a power supply failure and was unfortunately thrown away.

Only one of the onboard fan headers works. Is there some SMD resistor or something that needs to be replaced near the affected fan headers? I'm getting by with Molex fan adaptors for the case fans, and a Zalman fan controller to quiet down the CPU fan, but if the onboard headers are feasible to be repaired, that would be cool.

I use this computer primarily to rip Digital Audio Tape using DDS SCSI drives flashed with audio-compatible firmware. This results in faster than real-time digitization. I then use FTP to transfer the large WAV files to my main computer for further processing. Of course, this function can be served by any more modern computer with a PCI slot for a SCSI card, but where's the fun in that?

Rest of the system specs:

• abit BX133-RAID motherboard (fully recapped / "modified BIOS by RayeR" installed / large blue chipset heatsink installed on northbridge, and crappy ECS chipset heatsink superglued to southbridge 15 years ago)
  • Pentium III-S 1.4GHz Tualatin (modified with "shim" from South Korean eBay seller)
  • 768MB PC133 RAM
  • nVidia FX5200
  • Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 CT4520 ISA sound card
  • Realtek 8169/8110 Gigabit Ethernet
  • Maxtor 40GB + IBM Deskstar 40GB HDD in RAID1 using built-in Highpoint HPT370 controller
  • Adaptec AHA-2940AU SCSI card
    • Sony SDT-9000 DDS-3 SCSI DAT drive flashed to audio-compatible firmware
    • Seagate/Connor CTD-8000 DDS-2 SCSI DAT drive flashed to audio-compatible firmware
  • Floppy drive
  • Antec beige case
  • Dell OEM ATX PSU - with not enough Molex connectors
  • NEC AccuSync LCD92VXM 17" LCD connected via DVI
  • IBM Model M keyboard
  • Generic USB optical mouse
  • Windows 2000 Professional SP4

I'd like to add an NEC-based USB 2.0 card with an adaptor to be able to connect the case's front USB headers, but any time I add it, Win2K BSOD's saying the BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant. I suspect it's due to IRQ conflicts. The BX133-RAID's manual has a lot of information about IRQ assignment, but it is confusing to me.

The FX5200 is overkill as I don't currently game on this computer. I have a Matrox G400 laying around somewhere, I might swap that in - plus it's passively cooled vs. the active cooling of the FX5200.

I'd appreciate any help regarding either the fan headers or the IRQ conflicts! I'll also try to get some photos of this computer.

abit BX-133 RAID, P3-S 1.4Ghz, 768MB PC133, GeForce FX5200, SB16 ISA, 2x40GB RAID1, Sony SDT-9000 & Connor CTD-8000 SCSI DDS2 DAT drives, 3COM 10/100 NIC, Win2k SP4
Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Reply 1 of 5, by romdump

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Towncivilian wrote on 2022-08-23, 23:14:

Only one of the onboard fan headers works. Is there some SMD resistor or something that needs to be replaced near the affected fan headers? I'm getting by with Molex fan adaptors for the case fans, and a Zalman fan controller to quiet down the CPU fan, but if the onboard headers are feasible to be repaired, that would be cool.

Check the BIOS and see if the additional FANS are turned off.

Usually there is a transistor used to turn on the fan. It may have failed.

You can read more about the fan control circuit : Fan Control Techniques in PCs.pdf

Reply 2 of 5, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the same thing happen to my A-Trend ATC-6120 (VER. 1.00) pictured here https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/a-tren … -6120-ver.-1.00

I was using the board and all the fans headers were working, I shut it down put it away for about a week and next time I tried the board every fan header on the board was dead. They are registering voltage but way way under the 12 volts they should be doing.... so low they wont power a single fan. It only has 3 fan headers on it but all 3 measure the same voltage output. Other than that as far as I can tell the board works perfectly.

<shrug> I figured I will get around to trying to figure it out one day.

Reply 5 of 5, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have seen the fix to fix one fan header before, on my board all 3 went dead at the same time. I'm sure it's a similar fix on my board I just need to find the component that feeds all 3 that went bad.