VOGONS

First post, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

There was an ad in my local buy-and-sell stating 'Free Cases and Power Supplies'. Expecting fully what the ad said, I was pleasantly surprised to see motherboards and each turned out to be basically a full system with one part missing from each. But it wasn't long until I noticed why they're being given away for free, these computers bare the scars of a hacker who takes a no shame/no regrets approach to their modifications.

DSCF9755.JPG
Filename
DSCF9755.JPG
File size
85.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Take this beautiful fake Lian Li, our hacker friend decided to enhance its noise dampening characteristics by making sound proofing for the side panels using carpet underlay. Fortunately, the stinking malfixture was only applied to one of the sides, I've since removed the abomination from your sight but our hacker friend didn't let us down there. While omitting the underlay from the other side they instead left this sticky, grey goop tape whose purpose is unknown but I theorise it's there to collect years worth of airborne organics in hopes of smelling the odours they produce. Gore pictures incoming.

DSCF9758.JPG
Filename
DSCF9758.JPG
File size
95.34 KiB
Views
File license
DSCF9759.JPG
Filename
DSCF9759.JPG
File size
67.17 KiB
Views
File license
DSCF9760.JPG
Filename
DSCF9760.JPG
File size
48.93 KiB
Views
File license
DSCF9762.JPG
Filename
DSCF9762.JPG
File size
65.22 KiB
Views
File license

A razor blade gouges the aluminum. 100% alcohol makes it cloudy. There's no room for mistakes. Obviously I'm way over my head here and I need expert help. Please, I beg thee, help me save this case.

Reply 1 of 11, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried a Citrus oil like goop remover?

or WD40 ?

Also a plastic spudger with a sharp edge will help here and perhaps a heat gun, hit that shit with the WD40 or Citrus oil (Let it soak for a b it) and then very gently heat it to help soften it then slowly work it off with the spudger. Once its removed you will need to use more of the Citrus oil/WD40 to remove the residue. WD40 should be fairly resistant to the heat but its still flammable so take care.

Obviously you want to avoid alcohol here so Iso is out but perhaps it'll be workable once the majority is gone as a after cleaner to remove the citrus oil.

Thankfully this appears to be the unviewable inside surface, would be worse if it was on the outside of the case.

Reply 2 of 11, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't and those are good ideas, I'll look into WD40 since I need a new can. I'll check out what other cleaners they have, hopefully something that wont damage the aluminum if possible. There were some velcro pads on the outside too but those cleaned up nicely with a hairdryer and iso. What a maniac.

Reply 3 of 11, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maestro wrote on 2022-08-25, 03:02:

I haven't and those are good ideas, I'll look into WD40 since I need a new can. I'll check out what other cleaners they have, hopefully something that wont damage the aluminum if possible. There were some velcro pads on the outside too but those cleaned up nicely with a hairdryer and iso. What a maniac.

Citrus oil based removers work really well for this stuff as it dissolves the goop rather than brute force removing it, they can be messy to clean up however but ISO can take care of that.

Reply 4 of 11, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Disolving sounds like a better approach for something like this, I'll look into a citrus oil based cleaner as well, but even the WD40 sounds like it's going to be messy. Whatever it is, it'll be worth saving a case like this. Check it out this rad sticker on side of the drive rack. That alone is a sure sign that the aliens want this case saved from oblivion.

DSCF9765.jpg
Filename
DSCF9765.jpg
File size
85.92 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 7 of 11, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lighter fluid is another good idea. I need to try these solutions on a small area to see if they discolour or stain the aluminum. Inside or not I want to keep this job looking as stiffy as possible.

X850 XT PE was also the last, greatest native AGP card from ATI if I recall correctly. Definitely a totem of high regard amongst our tribesmen.

Reply 8 of 11, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maestro wrote on 2022-08-25, 04:51:

Lighter fluid is another good idea. I need to try these solutions on a small area to see if they discolour or stain the aluminum. Inside or not I want to keep this job looking as stiffy as possible.

X850 XT PE was also the last, greatest native AGP card from ATI if I recall correctly. Definitely a totem of high regard amongst our tribesmen.

Now days the challenge is finding one in both working order and at a not eye watering price.

Reply 10 of 11, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gasoline usually works great for removing old dried up contact glue, tape residues, etc. Acetone might work well too.

There are ethyl acetate based label removers that might do the trick, but since there are no plastic details etc that might be sensitive to gasoline to take into consideration, there's no reason to pay the price premium.