VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Just a stupid question.

With Voodoo2 SLI you can get a 1024x768 resolution.

Does this really make a difference instead of just one voodoo card for:

Fifa 99?
World Cup 98?

Or does the resolution/FPS pretty much stay the same?

Will these games perform better on a Voodoo2 SLI or will it be the same as if you had just one Voodoo2 Card in there?

Thanks in advance!!

Reply 2 of 6, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a setup with a voodoo5 5500 and a voodoo2 12 mb

Tualatin 1400 (so Voodoo1 doesn't work)

I thought: Voodoo2 for DOS games, Voodoo5 5500 for win98.

But Fifa 99 doesn't recognize the Voodoo5 5500.

I'm I doing something wrong, or does fifa 99 not work with a voodoo5 5500?

Reply 3 of 6, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quite possible that Fifa 99 doesn't recognize the V5, as I'm not even sure it recognizes the Banshee out of the box. Was there a Voodoo3 patch for Fifa 99? If so, applying that might make it work with your Voodoo5. You may also try earlier drivers.

To answer your question in the OP though, I believe World Cup 98 is strictly 640x480, but it's been a while since I last tried. Fifa 98 is locked in that resolution for sure, I'm willing to bet World Cup is like that as well.
Fifa 99 does allow you to hit 1024x768 with V2 SLI, which you can't do with a single card obviously. Whether or not that is something that's worth the prices of Voodoo 2 cards in this day and age is something you'll have to decide for yourself. I personally wouldn't get one for slightly higher res in a football game, but there's definitely a coolness factor attached to owning a Voodoo2 SLI setup.

I personally use CRTs for old systems and as such prefer lower resolutions and greater performance. Paired with a fast CPU, a single Voodoo 2 is fantastic at 640x480, at 8x6 it can chug badly sometimes due to fillrate or memory thrashing. Same applies with V2 SLI and in fact can be even worse at 1024x768, where as at 800x600 I tend to prefer the performance. As such, I tend to agree with leileilol, although the Banshee is a very slow card, the Voodoo 3 offers higher performance and far superior image quality, as Voodoo 2 can be pretty noisy and SLI looks pretty funky, but hey some people really dig that and that's fine!

It's really up to you.

Reply 4 of 6, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a problem for many EA games. They don't recognize newer video cards, and the Voodoo 5500 is not the only one. Try one of the patches with registry (.reg) updates for newer video cards here: https://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility. They aren't just for nGlide. You can play around/edit/massage/tweak the file, also, specific to your needs.

Reply 5 of 6, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm in the same boat debating on whether it's worth it to run two V2s. I'm wondering if games that take advantage of the two aren't capable of running in OpenGL or D3D instead if they even need SLI for higher resolutions, etc.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 6 of 6, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ptr1ck wrote on 2022-08-29, 11:33:

I'm in the same boat debating on whether it's worth it to run two V2s. I'm wondering if games that take advantage of the two aren't capable of running in OpenGL or D3D instead if they even need SLI for higher resolutions, etc.

Have a win98 system with a diamond viper and 2x monster3d V2 SlI cards. Payed a lot for those 2, only run unreal tournament on sli 🤣
- now pc runs hotter so placed extra fans.
- pci slots taken up by 2 extra cards.
- expensive. SLI isn't all that.
Yes i crapped it all up in an business HP vectra p3 machine.... Slots all taken with sb16.

It's best to buy a voodoo 3 or higher if you want to throw around with money anyway.

Rise of the Triad