VOGONS

First post, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an old Logitech C7-series mouse that I'd like to test out (and hopefully use with a modern PC) but I don't know if it's a bus mouse or a serial port model.

If it is a bus mouse, would it be damaged by plugging it into a serial port?

What port settings would a serial Logitech C7 want? Or would it 'Just work' with a PS/2 adapter?

Reply 1 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most Serial Mice are compatible with PS/2. Bus mouse is a whole other breed.
Does it have a standard 9 pin or 25 Pin serial type connector (The C7 serials came with one or the other) ?
If it has Mini-DIN-9, what looks like a PS/2 or SVGA plug but with 9 pins it Bus Mouse Port and is not Serial /PS2 compatible ----

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 7, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-08-31, 22:53:

Most Serial Mice are compatible with PS/2. Bus mouse is a whole other breed.
Does it have a standard 9 pin or 25 Pin serial type connector (The C7 serials came with one or the other) ?
If it has Mini-DIN-9, what looks like a PS/2 or SVGA plug but with 9 pins it Bus Mouse Port and is not Serial /PS2 compatible ----

Oh, of course. *head-desk*

I forgot that bus mice use round connectors, sorry.

Reply 3 of 7, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

bus mice don't necessarily always use round connectors, but if it's a 9-pin mini DIN that's most likely a bus mouse.
also while some PS/2 mice do still offer serial compatibility I definitely would not say "most" serial mice are PS/2 compatible, if it is it sometimes mentions so on the label on the mouse.

I don't think there ever was a PS/2 compatible C7

Reply 4 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Logitech C7, mmm just look at that ergonomy :0
I think its only 2 screws and you can look inside to make sure that you got

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 7, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

By all indications, it's serial. However, I'm not having any luck using a USB converter with it on Windows 10.

Logitech's technical reference manual lists soldering mods I can perform to change its communication protocols, but I don't think any of them are for PS/2. (Maybe I'm not reading them right)

Might there be a W10-compatible serial driver out there I can try before attempting a physical mod?

Reply 6 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe. What type USB to Serial adapter do you have ? The ones based on FTDI FT2232H series seem to have good reviews....and there are drivers for WIn9x thru Win11 for them AFAIK

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 7, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-09-03, 14:34:

Maybe. What type USB to Serial adapter do you have ? The ones based on FTDI FT2232H series seem to have good reviews....and there are drivers for WIn9x thru Win11 for them AFAIK

The serial adapter isn't the issue, it's finding a driver from Logitech that tells Windows 10 what the mouse is since by default it uses Mouse Systems protocols.

Page 26 of the technical reference manual lists the jumper settings for different modes: http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/logitech/Logitec … v_3.0_Jan86.pdf

Would switching it to Microsoft Mouse mode be best?