VOGONS

Reply 22560 of 27563, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
timsdf wrote on 2022-09-02, 11:32:

I got this Hercules Prophet 3 Geforce 3 without a cooler yesterday. Slapped aliexpress heatsink on it and seems to work fine. Unfortunately someone has removed the original cooler with way too much force and damaged the traces.

Any ideas what would be the correct way to "repair" this? It's visual damage at the moment but I'd still like to cover it to not touch them if I find original cooler and have to switch it again. Considering something like nail polish or varnish.

Clear nail polish works, there is also conformal coating but it can be expensive.

Reply 22561 of 27563, by ynopot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got this Hercules Prophet 3 Geforce 3 without a cooler yesterday. Slapped aliexpress heatsink on it and seems to work fine. Unfortunately someone has removed the original cooler with way too much force and damaged the traces.

Any ideas what would be the correct way to "repair" this? It's visual damage at the moment but I'd still like to cover it to not touch them if I find original cooler and have to switch it again. Considering something like nail polish or varnish.

I would just apply a layer of solder with a soldering iron. excess solder would be removed with a braid from the wire.

sorry for how google translator translates it))

Reply 22563 of 27563, by timsdf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions. Guess there is as many repair options as there are people willing to do it 😁

I have basic solder iron but not skills for such fine work. Friend has solder mask/UV setup but I'll ask him if it's functionally better option than clear nail polish. I remember nail polish was the OG way of jerry rigging covering contacts of unlocked CPUs and extreme overclocking to help condensation mid 2000s.

Reply 22564 of 27563, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any ideas what would be the correct way to "repair" this?

Solder mask is the correct way. There are even different color options in solder masks, which can match the color of the PCB.

I would also recommend performing continuity testing on those traces just to make sure they are all still conducting electricity properly. You don't want to mask them and then have to undo that work, if a trace itself needs to be repaired.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 22565 of 27563, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-09-02, 06:30:

Spent the day Installing a Pentium II Overdrive into my socket 8 system, damn is this a chonky boi of a CPU, had to then alter the exhaust shroud as it would fit over the fan on the cooler 🤣. Still waiting on the new ECC EDO memory to arrive at which point it'll have 512mb of ram, going to 1 gig was possible but im not 100% sure the CPU can cache that much ram. I'm not familiar with the finer points of socket 8 and which CPUs can cache what, but 512mb is far more memory than this system actually needs.

I had to pretty much strip the system down to install the overdrive which gave me a good opportunity to check out the system board and its got a lot more integration that I realized with a bunch of extra sockets that im not yet sure what they are for but the board does have a GD54M40 Cirrus Logic gpu built into it along with the Adaptec SCSI, I have yet to find the manuals or original discs for this system but I like to tinker so I will eventually figure out what everything does on this board.

Pretty sure it will cache 512 Mib. It's basically a Pentium-II, which all caches at least 512

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 22566 of 27563, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I restarted my W98SE machine.
All good. But I want to change something in the configuration.

Right now it has a Voodoo 2 + 233MMX, 128MB of ram.
Probably use a K6-2/3 instead?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 22567 of 27563, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cleaning)))

Attachments

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 22569 of 27563, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-09-02, 17:57:

Spent the day Installing a Pentium II Overdrive into my socket 8 system, damn is this a chonky boi of a CPU, had to then alter the exhaust shroud as it would fit over the fan on the cooler 🤣. Still waiting on the new ECC EDO memory to arrive at which point it'll have 512mb of ram, going to 1 gig was possible but im not 100% sure the CPU can cache that much ram. I'm not familiar with the finer points of socket 8 and which CPUs can cache what, but 512mb is far more memory than this system actually needs.

I had to pretty much strip the system down to install the overdrive which gave me a good opportunity to check out the system board and its got a lot more integration that I realized with a bunch of extra sockets that im not yet sure what they are for but the board does have a GD54M40 Cirrus Logic gpu built into it along with the Adaptec SCSI, I have yet to find the manuals or original discs for this system but I like to tinker so I will eventually figure out what everything does on this board.

Pretty sure it will cache 512 Mib. It's basically a Pentium-II, which all caches at least 512

Yeah I did a bit of reading and its essentially a PII Xeon having cache at full CPU speed rather than half CPU speed the normal PII has, spent a number of hours trying to find any documents or restore CDs for it and came up nada.

Model is NEC Express 5800/110A Pro if anyone has an idea where to find any documentation for it, the main issue is NEC made dozens of models in the 5800 series and all of them are different and none of their documentation applies to the 110A Pro but perhaps a user here has an idea where to try sourcing the manuals.

Reply 22570 of 27563, by kahlil88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maxed out the RAM (2×16MB) in my Gateway 2000 4SX-33 (a.k.a. Intel Classic R) and flashed a modified XTIDE tiny bios (big thanks to sysjunkie). Sadly it doesn't seem to like my CF cards, but large hard drive support and CHS autodetect is nice!

Reply 22571 of 27563, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Began the slow process of diggimg out various server boards as I want to test my ibm quad p3 xeon serverboard (main board). I went looking and actually bought more then I needed. Decent prices...but dom't know if any of it actually works. It's been a few momths and bought tje stuff from various and sundry sources.

I didn't buy the power backplane though. I assumed it's purpose was to allow power redundancy, multie power supplies. The server will run with a single. Don't know for sure if the backplane is necessary.

Reply 22572 of 27563, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, it'll cache a full 4GB, just like the PPro before it.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 22573 of 27563, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Half of the day was fixing Turbo button and setting proper values on frequency indicator for my 386.

Luckily I had the button of the same size - standard 7mm DIP6. Unluckily, it had different pinout (ground at one side) and both sides are unsymmetrical. I had to check that before soldering 😀

I spent a fortune on spare parts: buttons, contacts, chips, connectors and all of that staff on AliExpress - but now I can fix it same day without waiting days (or even months) when it arrives.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 22574 of 27563, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

got inspired by philscomputer labs and installed sata to ide coverter expecting 90mb/s but getting 50mb/s tops. installed noctua 80mm on cooler for athlon xp 2600+. full atx time tower pc, installed windows, got Time OEM logo and wallpaper setup. Installed ati rage fury pro/xpert 2000 installed, driver on philscomputerlabs corrupted, had to download from retronn.de ftp server. installed aureal vortex 2 + dreamblaster x2gs and listening to midi on my creative T40 ii speakers, nice 😀
LOVING the DVD feature for the ATi, remember my integrated ati rage having this back in the days, multimedia support. just missing the cyan taskbar with red yellow green bars for the sound from the creative 16 back in the day, but would rather stick with the current sound ive got setup atm

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 22575 of 27563, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gmaverick2k wrote on 2022-09-04, 09:11:

got inspired by philscomputer labs and installed sata to ide coverter expecting 90mb/s but getting 50mb/s tops. installed noctua 80mm on cooler for athlon xp 2600+. full atx time tower pc, installed windows, got Time OEM logo and wallpaper setup. Installed ati rage fury pro/xpert 2000 installed, driver on philscomputerlabs corrupted, had to download from retronn.de ftp server. installed aureal vortex 2 + dreamblaster x2gs and listening to midi on my creative T40 ii speakers, nice 😀
LOVING the DVD feature for the ATi, remember my integrated ati rage having this back in the days, multimedia support. just missing the cyan taskbar with red yellow green bars for the sound from the creative 16 back in the day, but would rather stick with the current sound ive got setup atm

Attachments

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 22576 of 27563, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2022-09-03, 17:44:

I'm pretty happy with the PII Overdrive as it fixed the 16bit code issue earlier Pentium Pros had which makes it a far more useful CPU to play around with, as to the ram, yea but finding 1gb EDO ECC dims is well .. good fucking luck with that. 512mb will be more than this system should need, I can get a 1gb kit (256x4) for it but im not sure yet if the system board will accept the dims* so if its happy with the 512 kit then perhaps ill grab a 1gb kit for it just incase I want to throw a more demanding OS on it.

*its a NEC system so its possible itll throw a fit at non NEC dims, the 512mb kit is NEC so it should be ok with it but the 1gb kit is Kingston/Dell, proprietary systems suck for compatibility.

Just looking at things 4gb would likely require more than 4 dim slots (2 or 4 way SMP setup?), unless im mistaken EDO ECC dimms dont appear to go above 256mb per dimm, at least I have yet to actually see any 512mb or 1gb modules. (Perhaps they are proprietary)

Reply 22577 of 27563, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-09-04, 09:49:
I'm pretty happy with the PII Overdrive as it fixed the 16bit code issue earlier Pentium Pros had which makes it a far more usef […]
Show full quote
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2022-09-03, 17:44:

I'm pretty happy with the PII Overdrive as it fixed the 16bit code issue earlier Pentium Pros had which makes it a far more useful CPU to play around with, as to the ram, yea but finding 1gb EDO ECC dims is well .. good fucking luck with that. 512mb will be more than this system should need, I can get a 1gb kit (256x4) for it but im not sure yet if the system board will accept the dims* so if its happy with the 512 kit then perhaps ill grab a 1gb kit for it just incase I want to throw a more demanding OS on it.

*its a NEC system so its possible itll throw a fit at non NEC dims, the 512mb kit is NEC so it should be ok with it but the 1gb kit is Kingston/Dell, proprietary systems suck for compatibility.

Just looking at things 4gb would likely require more than 4 dim slots (2 or 4 way SMP setup?), unless im mistaken EDO ECC dimms dont appear to go above 256mb per dimm, at least I have yet to actually see any 512mb or 1gb modules. (Perhaps they are proprietary)

I got lost in quotations, what is the motherboard's model name?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 22578 of 27563, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doesnt have a model name as far as I cant tell but it does have a few identifiers on it.

PBA Galileo
A4 660942-103
IBRD74405089

Its a 440FX based board but other than what's above there isn't any other names or such on it.

NEC Express.jpg
Filename
NEC Express.jpg
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File comment
NEC EXPRESS
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
EDO ECC.jpg
Filename
EDO ECC.jpg
File size
813.24 KiB
Views
File comment
EDO ECC
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22579 of 27563, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-09-04, 09:49:

I'm pretty happy with the PII Overdrive as it fixed the 16bit code issue earlier Pentium Pros had which makes it a far more useful CPU to play around with,

Well, also the 133 extra MHz probably also adds to the usability? 😉

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀