VOGONS

First post, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's one of a few AMD 500 series AM4 boards with PCI, COM and LPT. It's ASUS business series, so no fancy bells & whistles, but well done in general for $100 price.

Supports up to 16C32T Ryzen 9 5950X, though I doubt it can actually do that with 4+2 power phases using somewhat ordinary Vishay FETs. I have put in an unlocked 4C4T Ryzen 3 2200GE (Raven Ridge) with an integrated Vega 8 GPU, seems fine in general, but the BIOS puzzles me. There are options to set multipliers, voltages, memory timings etc., but none of these can be changed from Auto in my case. Am I missing something?

Attachments

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 3 of 8, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe Asus was trying to discourage overclocking because it's a business motherboard with a relatively weak VRM. They do at least need to offer XMP/DOCP because it's so hard to find JEDEC standard RAM these days (and that probably bothers me more than it should).

I didn't know that Asus started making this style of board for AMD CPUs, but I think it's nice to see in place of the usual RGB LED abominations and blocks of metal with no fins in place of heatsinks. It looks like a nice board for a low-end or midrange computer with a 65W CPU (or a 35W CPU like yours).

Reply 5 of 8, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I mean that there isn't much DDR4 and DDR5 sold to consumers that doesn't rely on XMP to hit its advertised speed, and it has caused problems for people who wanted to upgrade pre-built non-gaming computers. People see that their Dell (for example) uses DDR4 3200 RAM, buy some random RAM advertised at the same speed, and then wonder why it runs at only DDR4 2133 or 2400. Crucial is the only consumer-facing brand I know of that sells non-XMP RAM. Otherwise, there are some OEM Samsung modules floating around at certain online stores and auction websites.

Anyway, we're going off-topic here.

Reply 6 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By default, any modern motherboard will set JEDEC timings for 3200 Mhz. And almost all DDR4 OC kits now are identified at least as JEDEC 2666.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 8, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are two things that really piss me off about this mobo.

1. You can set memory voltage and that's all. No CPU core or NB voltage. Not even a P-state to choose.

2. When you type in any memory timing and it doesn't work, I mean absolutely doesn't, the mobo won't recover from this no matter how many times you reset it or power off/on. Since there is no CMOS clear jumper, you have to pull the coin battery.

My Active Sales on CPU-World