VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to dump some games from Dinamic Multimedia / FX Interactive using Linux.

The "protection" used in those games is a "ring". They ring is composed by many, many unused/unrecorded/damaged sectors that makes a visible "ring" on the disk. Usually, the protection don't check those sectors, they rely in that it takes hours or even days to extract all data from discs. There are some CD checks (I guess disc label, presence/size or some files or even trying to read good parts of the damaged files), but at this time I haven't found a game that doesn't run from a plain ISO file.

So I'm using ddrescue to extract the ISO, mostly because I can safely interrupt ddrescue and continue at the same point I've been using 2048 as block size (I haven't found any game with mode 2 tracks, but I guess I should use 2352 in that case) and that extracts valid ISO files. But yesterday I found a game that had audio tracks, and I want to extract those audio tracks and make a BIN/CUE image. So the questions are:
- How should I extract the audio tracks?
- How should I reconstruct the CUE file? (I guess I could use cdrecord output to get the TOC, but I don't know if I should recalculate all the tracks position or rely on that output as valid).
- Should I use CUE+ISO+WAV files (even CUE+ISO+OGG or MP3) or should I convert all tracks into a BIN file? How could I get a BIN file with my ISO and WAV files?

Or, to make my life easier... is there any CD copy program that can be interrupted at any point and start again from where he left? (i.e.: stop it at 40%, shut down the computer and the next day dump the other 60%)

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 5, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The key is being able to do resumeable dumping. I don't mind using Windows or Linux tools, but some discs can take days to dump (and I don't like to leave my computers working overnight). I guess that ANY tool that can ignore errors and stop/resume the dump would work fine (but AFAIK, ddrescue is the only one that can do that).

The problem is that dd and ddrescue can only get the the first track from multi-tracks discs, so I need to extract the audio tracks by other means and copy or rebuild the TOC (that may be even useful, so WAV audio tracks can be changed to OGG or MP3).

The games can be found elsewhere... but in english. Some of this discs are the only spanish versions of these games.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 5, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure if it would work, but ExactAudioCopy came to mind. It's Windows software. I found one person trying to do something similar here:

Is it possible to follow/adapt this recipe for mix-mode game CDs? I know there's an issue with copy-protected mix-mode game CDs, but let's assume the game CD is not copy-protected. But I don't just want another physical copy, I want an image file with flawless data & flawless AccurateRip/Paranoia sub-channel audio rip. The game data is track 1.

So I could use Nero to rip track 1 to do flawless data rip. Then use ExactAudioCopy or dBPowerAmp to do AccurateRip of the audio tracks as uncompressed WAVs. Then create a new Nero project/session and manually build the track 1 data, then append the AccurateRip WAVs. Then write to NRG image... then convert to BIN/CUE or CCD or MDS.

Good?

Just an idea, EAC works beautifully for normal audio CDs but I've never used it for game CDs.

Reply 4 of 5, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I used cdrdao to rip the game (fortunately, it only took 8 hours). Still I haven't found a way to pause (and power off the computer) without having to restart.

Now I have got two CUE+BIN (F22TAW and TFX) images that have audio data, but I was wondering about CUE+BIN+WAV.
- What tools can split my CUE+BIN image so I can have the WAV files (and/or change them to OGG/MP3)?
- Is it advisable to split the audio tracks or it is better to have them in a single files?

Thanks.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

if you don't need the space, I'd not split it.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper