VOGONS

Reply 121 of 880, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nobody of you I guess heard how the Gravis part of this preliminary sound card sounds (it uses a different version of the interwave chip from the one the genuine GUS used) but you are ready to pay and in advance just judging from the pictures you saw...Are you such great electronics experts? Or maybe you are contemporary art fans that would hang the card on your wall like a picture and stare at it...

Reply 122 of 880, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
georgel wrote on 2022-08-19, 18:09:

Nobody of you I guess heard how the Gravis part of this preliminary sound card sounds (it uses a different version of the interwave chip from the one the genuine GUS used) but you are ready to pay and in advance just judging from the pictures you saw...Are you such great electronics experts? Or maybe you are contemporary art fans that would hang the card on your wall like a picture and stare at it...

😁
Let's presume there are all categories here - some of us have actually heard the rev.C interwave chip (as it is found on the Compaq/STB board, as well as on the Core Dynamics ones, let alone the newly made ARGUS card), some of us are great electronics experts, and some of us are contemporary art fans that will actually hang the card on our walls like a picture to stare at it. Moreover, some of us even combine all three mentioned roles, and many many more!
And you? Have you just come around to make this toxic comment? Keep going your way, wise man, we fools will continue playing our modest games without your kind wisdom 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 123 of 880, by dpl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think you're giving Keropi and Marmes that created this card the credit they deserve. If you did just a little a little bit of digging around on the forum (or just on Google, YouTube, etc.) you would know that they have a well established track record of producing great quality products, complementing or surpassing the original implementations in many ways.

I have every confidence that this next product will be everything they claim it to be and will happily support their effort financially, including paying them in advance if that makes this project possible.

You should really do your homework as this comes across as trolling. I'm going to leave it at that.

Last edited by dpl on 2022-08-22, 08:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 124 of 880, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the one hand, I get where you are coming from.

On the other hand, it is by Keropi and Marmes. If I could afford it I would buy it in an instant with my eyes closed.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 127 of 880, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm hopelessly late to the game, but when a couple of these become available in about umpteen years or so, sign me up too!

*sigh*
*drool*
*considering dropping the dayjob to focus only on this forum*

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 128 of 880, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm thoroughly amazed. Who knew the Orpheus could get even cooler?

Very eager to hear when this is ready for sale, so I can start saving up! Selling both kidneys shouldn't be a problem, right?

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 129 of 880, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello there!

I've been rocking out an Orpheus II prototype with great results so far. This is a "dream come true" card for me. Its pretty much if you had an Orpheus 1 + a GUS PnP . That setup however takes 2 ISA slots while this card obviously takes only one. You know that motherboard you wanted to use so much but had to sacrifice something because of limited ISA slots? This one obviously is a 3 on 1 card, so whether you only have 1 or 2 ISA slots, you've got pretty much all bases covered.

Sound quality wise is just as good as the Orpheus I. So far, i have not encountered a single compatibility problem, compared to my previous Orpheus I + GUS PnP setup. Obviously you gotta work with the mixers to make everything balanced, but it is very much doable. Fiddling with it for 10 minutes i could find a very good balance between the sound standards.

As much as one would think this card might be too expensive, single GUS cards on eBay can go for much more. With the Orpheus II, you get it and so much more!

Congrats to both Marmes and Keropi!

Reply 131 of 880, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote on 2022-09-10, 18:11:

had to sacrifice something because of limited ISA slots? This one obviously is a 3 on 1 card, so whether you only have 1 or 2 ISA slots,

ISA slots' signals are in parallel therefore having more ISA slots is just a matter of plugging an old ISA slot riser or similar backplane to have more ISA slots when needed. I never bothered with limited ISA slots issues. The integration of several ISA cards on one physical card is not so valuable after all and sometimes is even nuisance.

Last edited by georgel on 2022-09-10, 19:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 132 of 880, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The one thing that would take this completely over-the-top would be if it had an ethernet chip too. Not quite sure where the RJ45 would fit on the back, but that would really make those low-profile desktop machines useful..

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 134 of 880, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
georgel wrote on 2022-09-10, 19:03:

ISA slots' signals are in parallel therefore having more ISA slots is just a matter of plugging an old ISA slot riser or similar backplane to have more ISA slots when needed.

Even though i did what you described by adding a 2 slot backplane to my main machine motherboard, doing this type of thing is not for everyone. Thus, this card adds immense value to owners of motherboards with smaller number of ISA slots. Not to mention the actual money needed to acquire each separate.

Reply 135 of 880, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ISA risers are cool and all, but the fact that you cannot physically anchor the cards attached to them to a standard case makes them useless for more than anything but temporary testing

Reply 136 of 880, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote on 2022-09-10, 22:55:

Not to mention the actual money needed to acquire each separate.

Yep, a crystal based sound card costs about $30 on fleabay, and with the release of ARGUS PCBs the Gravis clone is about $40...

Reply 137 of 880, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
georgel wrote on 2022-09-11, 02:31:

Yep, a crystal based sound card costs about $30 on fleabay, and with the release of ARGUS PCBs the Gravis clone is about $40...

Take a hint dude, no-one cares what you think. You add nothing, just detract, distract, and annoy. Is that your goal? If yes then I feel sorry for you.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 138 of 880, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
georgel wrote on 2022-09-11, 02:31:
carlostex wrote on 2022-09-10, 22:55:

Not to mention the actual money needed to acquire each separate.

Respectfully and IMHO, your recent comments in a few different threads give me the impression that you are expressing a certain degree of resentment towards something (or more than one "thing").
I am not trying mock, blame, insult or antagonize you, nor do I want to minimize the intensity of what you seem to be feeling, but I do myself feel the need to express that the types of comments that you have been making recently are likely generating resentment and/or consternation in others or, at the very least, concern . To be clear, I am also not trying to tell you what to do, but do want to express my concern and my hope that it might somehow be possible for you to communicate more explicitly what seems to irritate you, if possible, and that this would allow you to ease any feelings of resentment that you may harbour, in the interest of allowing more harmonious and constructive exchanges here .

Again, I don't want to presume or judge anything, but what I have been seeing recently has generated too much concern for me to keep silent .

Finally, I am not a mod, of course, but I do feel concern for the people on these forums, some of which I have learned to know a bit and have grown to respect greatly .

I sincerely wish you the best and that whatever seems to be irritating can somehow be soothed .