VOGONS

First post, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't really know if this card is working, I don't want to risk it without the heatsink which I found inside this long unused PC...

So this heatsink used to be glued to the pink foam, which is about 0.5mm taller than the chip in the middle of it.
The glue seems to be of adhesive tape kind, but it's no longer sticky enough to keep the heatsink in place.

What should I do? What kind of glue is recommended, and should I also add some thermal paste to the chip itself?

IMG_20220918_201641_3.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220918_201641_3.jpg
File size
286.14 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20220918_201653_7.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220918_201653_7.jpg
File size
379.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People sometimes added a heatsink to bridge chips like that, but those cards didn't come with one. Here's an HD3850 for an example:

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 5, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is true that in the case of ATI I have never seen a graphics card with a heatsink on the bridge chip and they work correctly for a long time. But those bridge chips get very hot without dissipation and are a frequent cause of failure. In the case of nvidia graphics cards, the bridge chip always had a heatsink.
It is not easy to glue a heatsink to that chip because it is very small.

Reply 5 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are inexpensive kits for adding small heatsinks to MOSFETs and Raspberry Pis that come with thermal tape already installed - sticking one of those on that chip should be easy, and better than nothing if you're concerned about it.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey