l33t++

Jlcpcb

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 123 of 156, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a revised 0.6 did you see that?

Btw, 0.8 added more LEDs and amperage is still good even if you didn’t have interest in fan headers or 3.3v so it will serve you well also 😀

Though I am still waiting on my parts that I ordered way back during the first version I modded. (I still haven’t been able to make one because of backordered parts)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 124 of 156, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, the high amperage one with the redundant trace removed?

It does look like the AT connectors are on backorder. I'm looking up the crimps and housings. I'm gonna make one with crimped on plug and short wires. Will also solve the old AT pin vs new AT square pin problem as well hopefully.

Reply 126 of 156, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mine still hasn’t shipped, need to call them 🤣. It’s been what like 6 months? Lol

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 128 of 156, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They sometimes send more if there was room on the big pcb that they make all at the same time and cut into smaller pcbs along with what I assume are other orders.

I called mouser earlier and canceled my order.

Wiretap, can you update the mouser project for the added LEDs and maybe with different alternate plugs that might be in stock?

I tried asking mouser to do it on my order, but no dice. Order never came in..

I’m thinking that old AT psu plugs may be the only option… thoughts? Is this what you plan on doing veeborg?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 129 of 156, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is sort of a pointless endevor to try to keep up with what is in stock at the moment. With the global shortages, I could update it right now, and tomorrow it could be out of stock again.

Molex 09-48-2060 and 09-48-2061 may be candidates for the AT side connector. I don't have time to go through the datasheets/measurements right now though. Everything else on the mouser BOM shows in stock. The 09-48-1064 shows back in stock next month.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 130 of 156, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is awesome. I'm happy to pay time/materials for a completely assembled unit or two, it's those darn surface-mount components that will get me for sure. (plus lack of time..)

So if that makes sense to someone and helps you offset cost by ordering in greater qty..lemme know. Incredibly awesome to see yet another brilliant retro computing project come to life.

Reply 131 of 156, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-20, 19:30:
They sometimes send more if there was room on the big pcb that they make all at the same time and cut into smaller pcbs along wi […]
Show full quote

They sometimes send more if there was room on the big pcb that they make all at the same time and cut into smaller pcbs along with what I assume are other orders.

I called mouser earlier and canceled my order.

Wiretap, can you update the mouser project for the added LEDs and maybe with different alternate plugs that might be in stock?

I tried asking mouser to do it on my order, but no dice. Order never came in..

I’m thinking that old AT psu plugs may be the only option… thoughts? Is this what you plan on doing veeborg?

I bought the ones that are for crimping onto wires like a normal AT psu would have. I'm gonna run short wires to the pcb. This also has the advantage of working with the older flat style pin power connector.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/538-90331-1003 and these pins https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/538-08-50-0106

Reply 132 of 156, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Almost done. Smoke tested and everything seems to work without releasing the smoke. After I get the AT power plugs attached it will get cleaned to remove the flux. First time soldering such tiny SMD stuff, good practice though.
a6dWXuMl.jpg

update:

So I had it on the psu letting it run and then the PSU just shut off. The 2.2uf Cap died, I removed it and its back to running. I'll have to order some more parts I guess. Would it be OK to use this with out that cap in place till the replacement gets here?

Reply 133 of 156, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’d wait for the cap any chance you had it in backwards? Did I mark it as backwards on the silk? Edit: no silk and your install looks right.. defective cap I guess?

So you will glue the plugs down?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 134 of 156, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I know what happened, reverse the location of the caps. Top to bottom bottom to top.

Edit: went back and added notes that cap position is reversed. Sorry about that.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 135 of 156, by ajacocks

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have had the same polarity issue on mine. After running for a while, the c1 capacitor smokes, which is odd, since I verified that the pads next to the edge of the PCB are grounded.

I’m using PCB v0.4, as previously mentioned. Sorry it took me so long to actually test! The adapters work just fine otherwise.

Interestingly, the 3d render that you included with the archive, @wiretap, shows the SMD caps in reverse polarity from how I installed them. That doesn’t make sense, though, as the stripe on SMD tantalums indicates positive:

back-3d.png
Filename
back-3d.png
File size
85.01 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And how I soldered them:

CAF8BDAD-1938-4795-A85D-8B6FF7AC62ED.jpeg
Filename
CAF8BDAD-1938-4795-A85D-8B6FF7AC62ED.jpeg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

- Alex

Reply 136 of 156, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay…. What the heck is going on…

That board is before their location was flipped.

Perhaps wiretap can chime in with a fresh set of eyes.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 137 of 156, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know why it doesn't make sense. If you install a capacitor backwards, it will smoke. They are on a negative voltage rail. Ground is more positive than a negative value. 😉

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 138 of 156, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So is the c1 c2 placment reversal not causing a issue here? It’s actually the people building them putting them in backwards only?

I mean of course it makes sense, another blowing up capacitor just made me go wtf is happening. Needed a sanity check.

If I recall when looking up the specs of these caps -5v and -12v was all within the ratings of BOTH caps. So being in the wrong spots shouldn’t have caused a failure. So what wiretap says about them being backwards makes sense.

I can upload a corrected latest version for C1 C2 positions in about a week if I am reminded.

Are the markings for polarity correct on the latest version?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 139 of 156, by perhenden

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-11-05, 14:34:

So is the c1 c2 placment reversal not causing a issue here? It’s actually the people building them putting them in backwards only?

Sounds like it. I can see that happening when orienting the capacitor based on its markings and ground, because usually ground is the most negative end, but not here (-5v). I've done that mistake myself, on another project.