VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cambalinho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows XP: is there any theme that looks like Windows ME and 98?
(event the start\shutdown GUI)

Reply 1 of 8, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows XP has a built-in Windows 2000 theme that you can select, which is basically the same theme as Windows Me. (Even better: the mouse cursor will have a nice subtle shadow that is missing in Windows Me.)

Startup and shutdown will be a lot tougher, though. Not sure if there are any patches out there that can mod those.

Reply 3 of 8, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

2000/ME are also my favorite icon sets and unique to those two systems. It's difficult to replace all the XP icons with those but trivial to match almost everything else with a custom theme file. My Computer, etc are easy to define in the theme but others like Control Panel are difficult to replace.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 4 of 8, by cambalinho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

to be honest, even WinXP, isn't be MS-DOS(but Command Prompt), i think is much more stable than Windows 98\ME or even 2K... because some MS-DOS games are working better on WinXP than older versions(tested by me... ok the PC is more younger than Windows ME\98) 😉
ok.. with sound emulation 😜

Reply 5 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

XP's startup is an entirely different VGA mode without a color cycle, so if there's any recreation of the boot screen, it'll never be the same. For icons, this may get into DLL hackery territory and there WAS a special theming program out there that could do that for XP and 7.

apsosig.png
long live PCem