VOGONS

First post, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi - and thanks for any help!

I'm trying to get a Roland CM-300 (SC-55 for computers - no interface) to work with my SoundBlaster AWE64, but seems to me it uses the AWE64 synth rather than the CM-300.

When testing the AWE64 in "SB16/Diagnose.exe" in MS-DOS I'm sure it's using the AWE64 and not the Roland.

I've double and triple checked the connections:
SoundBlaster Gamport/Midi cable -> AWE 64 Gameport
SounBlaster Gamport/Midi cable -> "Midi Out DIN" -> CM-300 "Midi In DIN port"
CM-300 "Audio out" -> Two mono jacks to one stereo mini jack -> AWE 64 "Line In"

In the SoundBlaster mixer I've checked Line in the "Output" section.

Any ideas?

Simmerhead - Old is gold!

Reply 1 of 5, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does the audio light on the CM 300 blink at all? If there is MIDI activity should flash or at least be lit.

Have you connected headphones or speakers directly to the CM 300 and see if there is audio coming out of it to rule out an issue with audio mixing on the AWE64?

Reply 3 of 5, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Simmerhead wrote on 2022-09-24, 19:41:

The red power light is on - but not blinking.

I'll try some headphones and/or speakers directly. Thanks for the tip!

The red power light will always just be lit up when it's power on.

The amber light to the left will flash when it received it sees MIDI data. Since it's not flashing it's not seeing anything to play.

Try connecting the other MIDI DIN to the MIDI IN on the module if your Gameport to MIDI cable has both an OUT and IN. Sometimes they are marked weird, the Roland UM-ONE USB MIDI cable has them labeled as "Connect to MIDI IN/OUT" so the IN goes to the IN on the module rather than one would think OUT to IN.

Reply 4 of 5, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2022-09-24, 19:56:
The red power light will always just be lit up when it's power on. […]
Show full quote
Simmerhead wrote on 2022-09-24, 19:41:

The red power light is on - but not blinking.

I'll try some headphones and/or speakers directly. Thanks for the tip!

The red power light will always just be lit up when it's power on.

The amber light to the left will flash when it received it sees MIDI data. Since it's not flashing it's not seeing anything to play.

Try connecting the other MIDI DIN to the MIDI IN on the module if your Gameport to MIDI cable has both an OUT and IN. Sometimes they are marked weird, the Roland UM-ONE USB MIDI cable has them labeled as "Connect to MIDI IN/OUT" so the IN goes to the IN on the module rather than one would think OUT to IN.

Thanks again!

I've gotten one step further! Installed Civ and chose Roland sound. Now it works. The yellow light is blinking and I have sound through the speakers (via the AWE64 line out) and headphones directly via the CM-300.

However, I still can't get i.e. the midi-player in Windows 3.11 to use the Roland. It plays only from the AWE64, even though everything is connected correctly to the AWE64!?

Simmerhead - Old is gold!

Reply 5 of 5, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have a readily available Win3.11 install, but going off the ol' memory in the control panel there should be either a MIDI option, or it's limited under multimedia. One of the options should be the MIDI mapper which lets you choose the MIDI Output port to use.

Do you see anything like that?