VOGONS

First post, by drew2020

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Want to set up an XP for other than gaming. I have an older MS Visual Studio, Matlab and Photoshop that I'd like to install. What is the recommended path after installing WinXP SP2? Considering the following path:
SP3 followed by .Net 4.03 framework

Are there are guides for patching XP post SP3?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 12, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whatever you do, don't put it on the Internet unless it's hidden behind a NAT firewall.

The Windows Update MiniTool has a version that is still supported on XP. It's a program that you can run rather than the standard Windows Update. It can download and install the latest patches for you.

Just be prepared for disappointment, much of the modern Internet no longer works on XP, and many programs attempting to phone home will just fail.

Reply 3 of 12, by GemCookie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I avoid installing .NET Framework on my Windows XP installations. Nvidia and Intel graphics drivers claim to require it, but the check can be bypassed by editing a file in the installer.

SScorpio wrote on 2022-09-25, 15:20:

Just be prepared for disappointment, much of the modern Internet no longer works on XP, and many programs attempting to phone home will just fail.

I use Mypal 68 on Windows XP. It's fast, modern and I have yet to encounter a website that it won't load.

Asus Maximus Extreme (X38) | Core 2 Quad Q9550 | GTX 750 Ti | 8 GiB DDR3 | 120 GB SSD + 640 GB HDD | Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium | WinXP64, 7, 11
Fujitsu D1215 board | P3 866 | Riva TNT2 M64 | 256 MiB PC133 CL2 | 120 GB HDD | WfW 3.11, Win95, NT, 2k, XP

Reply 4 of 12, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Firefox ESR 52.9.0 was released on June 26, 2018 and was the last mainstream browser that worked on WinXP; it works on just about all "modern Internet" today unless you want to stick with Internet Explorer 8 (released on March 19, 2009). 😉 And I'd bet that most net / computer users today use their devices more or less the same way like they did four years ago.

Hooking it online is a different thing: While AVG claims to be WinXP compatible on their website, the installer on that page is in fact the modern edition and incompatible with WinXP. You have to look for offline installer version 18.6.3983.0 from other sources. Avast 18.8.2356 was slightly newer (November vs. August) but much beefier than AVG and might slow down a low-end WinXP build.

For general office works I choose LibreOffice 5.4.7.2. As you might have noticed, many mainstream software ended WinXP supports in the year of 2018.

Reply 5 of 12, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whatever you do, don't put it on the Internet unless it's hidden behind a NAT firewall.

Yeah, the instant you plug that Ethernet cable into the machine, the whole computer's totally gonna explode. 🤣

Reply 6 of 12, by drew2020

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Out of curiosity, I tried using the MiniTool and the reddit post to update XP SP3 and that didn't work. When starting the wumt_x86.exe, get an error message that's not a valid Win32 app. It would have been cool if it had worked. I'll stick with SP3

Reply 8 of 12, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
drew2020 wrote on 2022-09-26, 02:10:

Out of curiosity, I tried using the MiniTool and the reddit post to update XP SP3 and that didn't work. When starting the wumt_x86.exe, get an error message that's not a valid Win32 app. It would have been cool if it had worked. I'll stick with SP3

Using Windows Update on 2000, XP, Vista in 2022

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 9 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always think less is more.
If any of those apps have pre requisites then install them, but nothing actually requires say .Net then why install it?

Reply 10 of 12, by drew2020

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bakemono wrote on 2022-09-26, 11:38:

I've read mixed reviews on that. Not sure if I should do it

Reply 11 of 12, by drew2020

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2022-09-27, 07:11:

I always think less is more.
If any of those apps have pre requisites then install them, but nothing actually requires say .Net then why install it?

I do agree with that. I have Visual Studio 2010 that I'm planning on installing and I think that requires .Net.

Reply 12 of 12, by drew2020

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-09-26, 13:54:
drew2020 wrote on 2022-09-26, 02:10:

Using Windows Update on 2000, XP, Vista in 2022

Thanks that looks interesting. We'll if it works still in 2022