VOGONS

First post, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

tfw (my forum profile pic) when you get a gcard and there are 2 capacitors that are too tall blocking it, stoping it going into the AGP slot.

I couldn't find any AGP risers for sale.

I've got no choice to take it all out, unsolder those 2 and to buy hard caps that are shorter and soldering those in, don't I?

Attachments

MSI MS-6734 KM3M mobo / Athlon XP 3000+ /512mb ddr1 ram
Voodoo 3 3000 PCI @185mhz / Aureal vortex 2 (dell oem)
3dfx ref. drivers win98se and dual boot with winXP-32 bit running amigasport 3.0 3dfx drivers oc'd with koolsmokey's V.Control in XP

Reply 2 of 12, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2022-10-03, 13:53:

Desolder them both. Attach some wire to the leads and then put them wherever you want. Don't use too long a wire, you are increasing the ESR by doing this.

hmm, thanks for the tip, will do tonight when I get home.

3dfx ref. drivers win98se and dual boot with winXP-32 bit running amigasport 3.0 3dfx drivers oc'd with koolsmokey's V.Control in XP

Reply 3 of 12, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the electrical store as already closed at 4pm 🤣.
so i need tinned copper wire right? what size?

Reply 4 of 12, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derpmochump wrote on 2022-10-03, 15:33:

the electrical store as already closed at 4pm 🤣.
so i need tinned copper wire right? what size?

Any wire will do, stranded, solid... Have you desoldered capacitors from motherboards before? It won't be easy, and there's a chance of destroying the pad on the underside of the board or ripping out the via.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 5 of 12, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

cut off resistor legs will be perfect, but as mockingbird said as short as possible. I could see them just leaning at 45 degree over the battery holder, and dont mix polarity by accident
aaand dont drill the holes 😀 if you have trouble cleaning hole from solder either use stel hypo needle, or just add more solder and push resistor leg into the hole while melting it, then cut the leg to match desired length.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 12, by grjr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if you have enough space you could lay the capacitors down on their sides with the legs bent 90 degrees to go down into the board. I've done this before and manufactures occasionally do this to solve for height restrictions.

Reply 7 of 12, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just order new caps they come with long leads.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 9 of 12, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know why you'd cut up the card's cooler when you can just put new capacitors on the board with the legs folded over at a 90-deg angle.. When I can't fit my car in the garage because my son put his toys in my parking spot, I don't cut a hole through the garage door so it closes.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 11 of 12, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm waiting on caps to come from china, still haven't arrived.

Reply 12 of 12, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derpmochump wrote on 2022-10-19, 13:49:

I'm waiting on caps to come from china, still haven't arrived.

oh, never EVER buy electrolytic capacitors from china

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction