VOGONS

GLX Player the only XT player ? Check Mod Master...

Topic actions

Reply 920 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
audiocrush wrote on 2022-10-02, 00:56:
Hi, is there any special trick to run this software properly? I can't seem to get anything but crackles and pops out of this sof […]
Show full quote

Hi,
is there any special trick to run this software properly?
I can't seem to get anything but crackles and pops out of this software.
Does it require special hardware requirements like specific display modes or a minimum amount of memory?
My system has got a 8088/8087 that I can run from 4,77MHz to 10MHz, 512k of ram and a Soundblaster 2

Hi,

On this machine, you can expect 14KHz at 4MHz or 26-30KHz at 10MHz for a 4 channel module.
The pop can be due tothe fact that the volume is too high, then there is overflow.

Your SB2.0 probably have a problem ?

Reply 921 of 929, by audiocrush

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MobyGamer wrote on 2022-10-02, 04:03:

I can run modmxt on my PC (4.77 MHz, Sound Blaster Pro) just fine. It should run on yours, and sound great at 10 MHz too. What settings (port, irq, dma) is your soundcard set to? Do you have a BLASTER environment variable set up that matches the settings, and does modmxt show those settings on startup?

For an additional successful test, run "modm" as it is lighter on memory usage, and use a simple 4-channel .MOD file for your first test to ensure the software is working.

Hi,

the SB2.0 is set to IRQ5, IO address 220 and DMA channel 1. These are also set in the blaster variable.
Is there maybe more ideal values for those, provided they're not conflicting with the rest of my hardware 😁

The card appears to work fine, since the soundblaster compatible games produce very clean sound.

@FreddyV
It is not just some pops, the music is not audible at all. Pops and crackles are literally the only thing that come out of the soundcard when I use Mod Master.
I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I even went down with the sampling rate to 8KHz but I can't even hear the melody through the noise. Also the user Interface becomes very unresponsive during playback, so I usually reset the machine to exit the program.

https://www.nerdsh.org/ - my blog, a bit neglected though
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsU6woi3lhLhtT_ILbSCCw - Some videos of mine

Reply 922 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you please show the exact contents of the BLASTER variable? echo %BLASTER%
I remember having the wrong or no T value a long time ago and ModMaster became a bit confused by that.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 924 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote on 2022-10-06, 05:53:

I remember having the wrong or no T value a long time ago and ModMaster became a bit confused by that.

T is no more used

Reply 925 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2022-10-07, 12:40:
root42 wrote on 2022-10-06, 05:53:

T is no more used

Thanks! Noted!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 926 of 929, by RetroFletch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im trying to use this program with a picoGUS, it detects it and i can play midi with other programs but when i try play with this i get a "hardware initialization error - MPU dosnt answear" error and then i cant exit out and have to restart pc, maybe its just a configuration issue but i cant find anything in the textfiles or in this thread about it, any ideas?

i have started ultramid and initiated the picogus.

i have verified that when running dosmid.exe standalone with the /gus option it works just fine, i tried to pass this parameter using the dosmid.cfg file but it seems xt player ignores this and it goes to mpu mode =/

EDIT: Solution found
it seems Mod Master XT 1.0 is hard coded to run dosmid like this "/noxms /mpu" simply editing the exe file and replacing /mpu with /gus and now it runs in gus mode.
Also removed the /noxms as that prevented me from loading large midi files.
now i got a setup that works well enough, great software! only issue seems to be button controls seems to be overwritten for dosmid, luckily i can still skip to next song with esc ( should be enter ). and i cant seem to get back into modmaster XT to select different songs but its ok 😀

Reply 927 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroFletch wrote on 2023-06-17, 20:36:
Im trying to use this program with a picoGUS, it detects it and i can play midi with other programs but when i try play with thi […]
Show full quote

Im trying to use this program with a picoGUS, it detects it and i can play midi with other programs but when i try play with this i get a "hardware initialization error - MPU dosnt answear" error and then i cant exit out and have to restart pc, maybe its just a configuration issue but i cant find anything in the textfiles or in this thread about it, any ideas?

i have started ultramid and initiated the picogus.

i have verified that when running dosmid.exe standalone with the /gus option it works just fine, i tried to pass this parameter using the dosmid.cfg file but it seems xt player ignores this and it goes to mpu mode =/

EDIT: Solution found
it seems Mod Master XT 1.0 is hard coded to run dosmid like this "/noxms /mpu" simply editing the exe file and replacing /mpu with /gus and now it runs in gus mode.
Also removed the /noxms as that prevented me from loading large midi files.
now i got a setup that works well enough, great software! only issue seems to be button controls seems to be overwritten for dosmid, luckily i can still skip to next song with esc ( should be enter ). and i cant seem to get back into modmaster XT to select different songs but its ok 😀

Hi,

Thanks for the test.

Yes, the DOSMID Support is really experimental, it is done more for fun than real use 😀