VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was wondering, when you have a huge collection, how you store your boxes.
If you have a database, how did you organize it?

I have just a wee bunch of boxes, all on a singles shelf.
I have many online purchases of old games (+abandonware) and just have a spreadsheet.
I'd like to add some kind of tag to have a full ist of OS+game (many games or multi platform).

I guess this is the usual issue 😀

Thanks for any answer.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 1 of 18, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PC games are currently in a cabinet and due to storage space issues console games are storaged away simply in a box.

I keep track of them with a spreadsheet, didn't first think I'd need one as I'm not a collector per se and mostly buy only games that I know I'll play but still I ended up reaching the point when I didn't always remember had I already bought something and had to go and check.

Reply 2 of 18, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most of my games I store in clear plastic bins, each one labelled by system (PC, PS1, PS2, etc).

A handful I will keep out on a shelf either because I am actively playing them or as display items.

I don't keep an inventory of what I own because that is too much like work. 😜

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 18, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like to keep my games in their jewel cases, on racks. Just enjoy the sight of them. Many of them are release day copies I've kept with me since I was a kid in the 90's. Minus the copy of Fallout that was missing from it's jewel case. I suspect my brother had something to do with that while I was away at college. Ordered a replacement copy... but it's just not the same. Also turns out that of all the CD's I've spun back up, it's my release day purchase of WarCraft III which has shit the bed. I think I actually vaguely remember that being the case back in the late 00's when I was still having LAN parties with my friends after college. I'll want to get another copy of that at some point.

I did find I had to make a spreadsheet to organize them. Started off as which games I owned and where (CD-ROM or GOG), and whether I'd beaten it or not. Then it evolved into what are the system requirements? I need to know which retro system is best suited for it. So that's color coded. Then I started putting in the issue of Computer Gaming World where they reviewed it. Not for every game, and that part is still a work in progress. But sometimes as I'm perusing my library, I like to go back and read contemporary reviews to decide what to play next.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 4 of 18, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Namrok wrote on 2022-10-12, 13:40:

I did find I had to make a spreadsheet to organize them. Started off as which games I owned and where (CD-ROM or GOG), and whether I'd beaten it or not. Then it evolved into what are the system requirements? I need to know which retro system is best suited for it. So that's color coded. Then I started putting in the issue of Computer Gaming World where they reviewed it. Not for every game, and that part is still a work in progress. But sometimes as I'm perusing my library, I like to go back and read contemporary reviews to decide what to play next.

Pretty much what I do too, minus the reviews and for system requirements I list what graphics API the game uses and what system should be used for period correct experience and what for modded/enhanced experience. This year I also started to list the last time I had beat the game mostly just for fun.

Reply 5 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to have a similar spreadsheet about that, which also had my serials for each applicable game so I don't have to dig em out. Also had columns of bots, APIs, emulateable (mainline DOSBox or PCem), etc.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 18, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have many shelves for my almost 300 Big Box releases and DVD cased games and a few for my other systems for which I mostly rely on flashcards and ODEs so I don't have a ton of original media for. I used to do the spreadsheet thing, but I'm a very lazy person and always forgot or postponed updating it whenever I got new titles and as such lost track with the passage of time, so I ended up not really using it.
I mostly remember what I have and when I don't, it's a nice surprise to see something on the shelf that I had completely forgotten and even better so when I open up a big box and I find memorabilia or related material I put inside at some point.

Reply 7 of 18, by Gernot1966

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To be honest - none, why should i?
I have a couple of boxes lurking around mostly Intelivision games i obtained with the console a couple of years ago (console #3) a few Amiga games have still a box which i kept it over the decades mostly to store the manuals due to that they still exist (divorce and all that turd). But no boxes of DOS games are left (that is i wasn't a doze user but had three games for my dads PC, SimCity, SimEarth & Populous, Simearth incl. box, manual & "daisy planet" he gifted to a kid while i was off for a decade or so). Thus "why should i?" not enought to really take care of them.

Database? for the repeating same five games i play? Does that make sense?
What i recently guess of is to keep track of my saved games (amiga script project), extract some data and to make of this a game specific database.

I understand the need for it, this i do.

But i simply never cared much for cardboard it's the software which i like.
Some other even collect shipping boxes...
The opposite is me "no matter how the data is stored as long as i can play it"
or fiddle around with it.

Reply 8 of 18, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I store mine on shelves. I track them by looking at them.

PXL_20221014_111037019.NIGHT.jpg
Filename
File size
1.62 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 9 of 18, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2022-10-14, 11:14:

Is that a mini fridge full of NES games?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 11 of 18, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You, sir, are evidently a man of culture and a gentleman and I approve everything I see in that picture.

Reply 12 of 18, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2022-10-14, 13:36:

You, sir, are evidently a man of culture and a gentleman and I approve everything I see in that picture.

coughDiakatanacough

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 13 of 18, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Namrok wrote on 2022-10-14, 13:38:
Sombrero wrote on 2022-10-14, 13:36:

coughDiakatanacough

It's a big box, so I approve EVERYTHING and regret nothing.

Reply 16 of 18, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All my physical boxed games are on shelves in my computer room. All my physical but loose disks are in storage bins in the closet in my computer room. All my digital games are in the ether and I track those with Gamecollectorz.

You can see my entire collection, physical and digital here:

https://cloud.collectorz.com/shagittarius/games

I don't need that DB to track my physical games, I can tell you what I have from my head, but for all the digital games, most of which I got for free or from some subscription service those I have to look up.

Reply 17 of 18, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2022-10-14, 13:15:

What mini fridge? I don't have one in the picture. My NES games are in another room.

That thing in the lower left. I guess it's a server rack?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build