VOGONS

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have two almost identical retro PCs (HP Vectra VL 5/75 Pentium 75 - first & second edition) which seem perfect for local multiplayer. A Pentium 75 should be ideal for some Deathmatch and other multiplayer games

Now, I have experience with null modem cables (I used it back in the day to play multiplayer games with friends) but when it comes to network cards I'm quite a bit more in the dark.

What network cards do you know work well for multiplayer gaming using a modern network? My "requirements":

- affordable and easy enough to find online
- software that doesn't require a lot of memory
- works nice with a modern network
- relatively easy to configure
- very compatible with DOS games & early Windows 9X games of the time

And do you have other advice for such a setup? Things I need to watch out for? I know the old "games have to have the same version" etc. which won't be a problem since I'll be cloning CF cards so both PCs will run identical software (that's why I also want two identical cards).

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 1 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For DOS I'd stick to the null modem cables...

I'm a big fan of DOS networking using mTCP. But not for gaming.

Why not? Conventional memory and lack of standardization.

Even the really lightweight packet drivers used for mTCP use non-trivial amounts of RAM. Of course, you can load them high, but that reduces the amount of high memory available for other things (like CD drivers), so one way or another it will cost you memory. If you need a full NDIS/ODI stack, it will cost a lot more. Then there's the question what the games will use. Some might use a packet driver. Some NDIS/ODI. Some something different again.

Possibly it might make sense with very specific games (and possibly network cards), but tbh, I'd leave real networking to OSs that aren't memory-constrained.

Reply 2 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About any Ethernet card with RJ45 port...
Those Pentium 75 boxes have free PCI slots, right?
For PCI, cards like RTL8139 are ubiquitous, and cost pennies.
DOS LAN gaming usually means IPX protocol, also used by Novell Netware - back then this was the most popular networking software, so all NICs had appropriate drivers.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 3 of 5, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2022-10-13, 10:52:
For DOS I'd stick to the null modem cables... […]
Show full quote

For DOS I'd stick to the null modem cables...

I'm a big fan of DOS networking using mTCP. But not for gaming.

Why not? Conventional memory and lack of standardization.

Even the really lightweight packet drivers used for mTCP use non-trivial amounts of RAM. Of course, you can load them high, but that reduces the amount of high memory available for other things (like CD drivers), so one way or another it will cost you memory. If you need a full NDIS/ODI stack, it will cost a lot more. Then there's the question what the games will use. Some might use a packet driver. Some NDIS/ODI. Some something different again.

Possibly it might make sense with very specific games (and possibly network cards), but tbh, I'd leave real networking to OSs that aren't memory-constrained.

Yeah that's why I asked for advice - I've used a network card for mTCP as well but never for network gaming. I know many games support it but wasn't sure what problems could arise. Null-modem is good but then I'll have to find a way to get the two PCs close together which is easier said than done - they're across the room from eachother now.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 4 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For IPX the same applies IMHO: messy and eats scarce conventional memory. As for the null modem cable - get a longer cable 😉

But if you want, here's a good overview.
IPX network on MS-DOS

Reply 5 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOS games with LAN multiplayer usually use extenders, so memory isn't scarce.
I used to play Doom 1/2 and Warcraft 2 via LAN, and don't recall any problems.

BTW: pure DOS may not be necessary - in Windows 9x, if IPX protocol is installed, it's also available in VDMs.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...