VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Related projects: Sphere's PCB projects.

Going to use this thread to collect information on this and eventually take a crack at this project when motivation, time and information is in abundance.

Please do reply with interest/requests/comments.

The more interest, the more attention I will give this.

Feel free to contribuite ideas, and information in the meantime 😀

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-10-14, 02:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 7, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There seems to be a large number of resistor arrays pulling signals to what I assume is ground. Can anyone confirm that this is some sort of signal termination? Anyone with a slotket able to read some values?

Edit:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Conne … u5qjsQLew%3D%3D

Link to socket datasheet

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 7, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-10-14, 02:48:

I can get values off of mine

Is yours a oem or reproduction?

Values Labeled high res pic would be amazing.

Also, if you feel up to it, some circuit probing to try and discover the functions of the components and how they are installed in the circuit would be very helpful.

I don’t have one of these to study and they are quite rare. So this is probably going to be a group effort if it is going to become a reality. I do have a socket 8 cpu and a slot one mobo though.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 6 of 7, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you looked at intel's slot 1 CPU datasheets?

The electrical characteristics are in there, I think I remember reading those are 56 Ohm termination resistors for the GTL+ bus

If you can find the socket 8 cpu datasheet (dont know if its out there, never looked for it), it should be as "simple" as matching electrical specifications of the buses and you have an adapter.

EDIT: I had actually compiled the slot 1 and socket 370 datasheets HERE, if you want to take a look. They're under datasheets/cpus.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 7 of 7, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The routing and design rules for that will be fun. I recommend watching the Altium high speed board design videos and closely follow the Intel design specs if you want it to work. Trace length/resistance matters.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals