VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 23, by Daniel3D

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are several games I'd like to play, but there is one special. If that can't run it's not a working setup.

The game i play above all is STUNTS aka 4D sports driving. Originally from 1991.
I use a recompiled version from last year that has some minor changes but technically it is still the same.

NTVDM can not play stunts. (prince of Persia is not a problem)

Reply 21 of 23, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Daniel3D wrote on 2022-10-15, 06:19:
There are several games I'd like to play, but there is one special. If that can't run it's not a working setup. […]
Show full quote

There are several games I'd like to play, but there is one special. If that can't run it's not a working setup.

The game i play above all is STUNTS aka 4D sports driving. Originally from 1991.
I use a recompiled version from last year that has some minor changes but technically it is still the same.

NTVDM can not play stunts. (prince of Persia is not a problem)

How well or how badly does Stunts play in DOSBox under Windows or Linux on this machine ?
Assuming framerate is the only issue (is it ?), how many more fps (approx) would it need to be to satisfy you ?

EDIT :

The way I see it, you have a few options with that laptop

a) run DOS baremetal (directly) on the laptop and live without sound

b) use DOSBox under Windows or Linux and live with the performance overhead inherent to emulation but have working sound

c) use DOSBox under HX DOS Extender and live with the performance overhead inherent to emulation but (hopefully) have working sound . Don't expect miraculous performance increases of b), if any . See https://www.japheth.de/HX.html

d) Write your own Sound Blaster (or other) emulation software (that supports your chipset and is AC-97 codec) that runs under DOS and allows you to do a), but with sound . This is non trivial, and AFAIK, there is no currently existing way (already written software) to do exactly this (feel free to prove me wrong), which is why you would need to write your own or at least modify, adapt and combine functionality of existing software .

e) If your Akoya Mini E1210 has a removable WIFI card that is on a mini PCI card, you might be able to remove the card, plugin a passive mini PCI to PCI adapter and use a PCI sound card with legacy DOS support that does not require DDMA support . This would imply having a dangling ribbon cable and a PCI card connected to it, external to the laptop .

Reply 23 of 23, by javispedro1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Daniel3D wrote on 2022-10-13, 20:50:

I know, but the last device I had with a parallel port was a DOS machine.. so unfortunately not a solution in my case.
The only interface connections I have, are; USB, VGA and LAN.

See DOS driver for RetroWave OPL3 , which is USB.