VOGONS

First post, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello!!

Recently I get a CD-R SCSI drive and a "rare" ISA Card. This card provides SCSI+IDE+Floppy interface. It has a TMC-1800/18C50 (SCSI) and FD37C75 (IDE) chips with Future Dommain SCSI BIOS (ver 3.0 - 1992), but I have a problem in DOS.

I plug the CDR drive to SCSI card, and the CDR drive is recognized under MSDOS. If I insert a Audio CD works properly but If I insert Data CD doesn't work. I thought the CD-R is not working properly, but I changed with another SCSI CD drive and it happens the same. After that, I changed the Future Domian SCSI card for Adaptec and the two CD units work properly: Audio and Data CDs.

I believe the problem is the CD driver. I had Power SCSI version 4. The card came without drivers. Does anyone know if there is a newer driver version for TMC-1800/18C50 chips in MSDOS?

Thanks in advanced

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Power scsi 4.1 was the last version. What model scsi CDR do you have ? Are you running mcam18xx.sys or dcam18xx.exe in config.sys ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Panasonic CW-7502-B but I don't believe the problem was the Pana drive. With Adaptec controller it works properly.

I don't remember which one there is in the config.sys: mcam18xx.sys or dcam18xx.exe I run the setup program and the program made the modifies in config and auotexec files. I think the problem is FDCD.SYS

Where I can get 4.1 version?

Reply 3 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

v 4.1: https://download.adaptec.com/obsolete/future_ … or/pwrscsi4.exe
yeah even the newest 4.x version of FDCD.sys is older than the Adaptec AspiCD.sys in EzSCSI v4.
The Adaptec 2920 uses a Future Domain controller (they merged in 1997) and mcam18xx.sys which if that is what what installed you should try Ezscsi v4.01a.
you can get it at winworld

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 4, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

Thanks for the links, but I couldn't fix the problem.

Finaly I found the origin of the problem: the controller BIOS. My controller has version 3.0 and I read in a TXT file the following:
-----------------------
1) IMPORTANT - If the CD-ROM device(s) is attached to a Future Domain
SCSI controller which contains a BIOS Version 3.00 or prior for
16-bit controllers
or version 8.00 or prior for 8-bit controllers,
you must take one of the following actions:

a) Upgrade the BIOS.
b) Load the appropriate DOS CAM loadable driver.
c) Use the '/T' command line parameter to force the CD-ROM device
driver to talk directly to the SCSI controller.

usage: DEVICE=C:\DEV\FDCD.SYS /D:MSCD000 /T

NOTE: The '/T' parameter must only be used with SCSI controllers
that contain the BIOS versions 3.00 or 8.00 or prior.

------------------

The '/T' switch fixed the issue.

Thanks a lot.