VOGONS

TinyLlama (Vortex86EX SBC)

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 659, by Evan Thompson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What you've done is amazing. Have been really interested in this type of project for over a year. I imagine that the will be a lot of interest now after the link from Andy.
Like many I'd like to buy a unit, seems like a potential bargain compared to original hardware.

Thanls for your work
Evan

Reply 43 of 659, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A range of fully-loaded, custom-built/designed V86 system board with the appropriate embedded parts and I/O would be a very interesting thing indeed. Paired with a PC case that allows use of standard peripheral cards, it could be a godsend for retro computing enthusiasts.

Reply 44 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would it be possible to pass thru the pc speaker to line out? Or add a “regular” pc speaker to improve the sound?
The small is good but does not sound that good sadly.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 45 of 659, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tabm0de wrote on 2022-10-12, 09:14:

Would it be possible to pass thru the pc speaker to line out? Or add a “regular” pc speaker to improve the sound?

Yep - the Crystal audio chip has a mono input specifically for this purpose.

This is how I do it on the WeeCee, but people still complained because they wanted the sound coming out a tiny speaker for some reason...

Reply 46 of 659, by vanfanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-10-11, 15:40:
vanfanel wrote on 2022-10-11, 15:34:

This is a wonderful project and, as bd1308 has already said, it's a long time dream of mine becoming a reality.

I have a question: in rasteri's video, it seems that the PCIe VGA card limits framerate to 27.3 FPS. There were many games that ideally ran at 35, 60 and 70 FPS on DOS, given they had enough CPU juice and video bandwidth. For example, Jazz Jackrabbit or Quake. Since the TinyLlama's solution to the VGA video problem seems to be different from the card that rasteri used, can you confirm if that 27.3 Hz screen refresh limit is still there with the TinyLlama? Or is the TinyLlama capable of real DOS screen refresh rates?

Thanks!

I'm not aware of any hard fps limits. Look at my benchmarks here: Re: TinyLlama (Vortex86EX SBC)

Oh thanks!!

As other have said, I am interested in the price of a kit. In fact, I have a friend who's interested also so it would have to be two kits. Would you sell us a couple of these boards?
Or is there a place where I can get the gerbers+parts list to be sent to let's say PCBWay so they make the boards for us?

Reply 48 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2022-10-12, 11:09:
tabm0de wrote on 2022-10-12, 09:14:

Yep - the Crystal audio chip has a mono input specifically for this purpose.

This is how I do it on the WeeCee, but people still complained because they wanted the sound coming out a tiny speaker for some reason...

The TinyLlama also sends the speaker signal to the CS4237B's mono input (in addition to the little pc speaker)!

The LlamaBlaster sound card
ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 49 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vanfanel wrote on 2022-10-12, 19:24:

Would you sell us a couple of these boards?
Or is there a place where I can get the gerbers+parts list to be sent to let's say PCBWay so they make the boards for us?

There's been quite a few people asking for this now, so here goes:
1. Yes, I'll release all the hardware and software parts of this project - free for anyone to build their own and modify to their heart's content.
However, I have a full time job and 3 kids and not that much spare time + I really don't want to release something half-assed, so I'm taking the time necessary to get a proper GH project up with BOM's, instructions, wiki, etc. Sorry for it not being up already, but it's coming along and it'll be ready in a short while.
2. Like I mentioned earlier, while I don't really plan to (or want to) start selling these - I _do_ have a little batch of most of the parts which I'll probably sell to recuperate some of cost I've sunk into this project during the last year. I'll inform y'all when that's ready.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 50 of 659, by bd1308

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-10-12, 20:49:
There's been quite a few people asking for this now, so here goes: 1. Yes, I'll release all the hardware and software parts of t […]
Show full quote

1. Yes, I'll release all the hardware and software parts of this project - free for anyone to build their own and modify to their heart's content.
However, I have a full time job and 3 kids and not that much spare time + I really don't want to release something half-assed, so I'm taking the time necessary to get a proper GH project up with BOM's, instructions, wiki, etc. Sorry for it not being up already, but it's coming along and it'll be ready in a short while.
2. Like I mentioned earlier, while I don't really plan to (or want to) start selling these - I _do_ have a little batch of most of the parts which I'll probably sell to recuperate some of cost I've sunk into this project during the last year. I'll inform y'all when that's ready.

Thank you for doing such a great job putting all of the pieces together in what looks like an amazingly nice setup board! I missed my opportunity to get a VEX-6254, but I'll keep an eye on 86Duino's availability 😁

Reply 51 of 659, by Aaron707

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
There's been quite a few people asking for this now, so here goes: 1. Yes, I'll release all the hardware and software parts of t […]
Show full quote

I am interested in building one of these, either from kit or board and component list. Looking forward to see where this project goes. Very exciting!

Reply 52 of 659, by brentward

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote

I'm interested in buying one of the 25 boards with all the parts if they haven't already been accounted for.

I made an account just because of this after seeing rasteri's video then following the link to yours. I'd be fine with doing the soldering myself. My email is brent.bettis@gmail.com

Reply 56 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bzzz wrote on 2022-10-16, 21:35:

That x86 module is...surprisingly cheap?

Ye, doh the vga cost more hehe and the shipping + tax

Biggest issue is those raspberry prices haha when it’s hard to find them 😀

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 57 of 659, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tabm0de wrote on 2022-10-17, 09:07:

Biggest issue is those raspberry prices haha when it’s hard to find them 😀

Tell me about it, I cringe so hard when I see all these people building enormous pi clusters that they'll never actually use when I can't find even one

Reply 58 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I went over my big box 'o stuff today, looks like I have parts for 24 complete kits.

Each kit will include:

• The TinyLlama v1.1 PCB with Micro-USB and MicroSD connectors + resistors, most of the capacitors, diodes, EMI filters, a transistor and 3.3V regulator chip already soldered on.
  • Parts you'll need to solder yourself: 9 x 0603 capacitors, 1 x double-USB Type A connector, 1 x DE9M connector, 1 x Mini-PCIe connector, 1 x 3.5mm audio jack, 1 x pc speaker, 4 x buttons, 1 x sound chip, 3 x fuses, 4 x pin headers, 1 x Pi receptacle, 1 x crystal, 1 x RS232 transceiver chip, 1 x battery holder, 1 x eeprom chip, 1 x DAC module.
  • Pin jumper for configuring the pc speaker on/off/volume.
  • 3D-printed screws, washers and nuts for holding the VGA module in place.
  • 0.91 inch yellow-monochrome OLED display for that sweet MT-32 feel.

Parts not included, that you'll need to order separately (check the BOM: https://github.com/eivindbohler/tinyllama/wiki/BOM):

• 86Duino SOM-128-EX system-on-module
  • Pin headers for the SOC
  • Vortex86VGA module
  • CR1220 battery
  • Raspberry Pi Zero 2
  • USB flash drives, MicroSD cards

I have no idea what people are willing to pay for these kits, so I'm asking US $150 + shipping, and we'll see how that goes. 😀

It goes without saying you'll end up paying less if you're willing to go through the hassle of getting boards manufactured and ordering all parts from various sources yourself - so if you're on a tight budget, that's what I would recommend.

If you're interested, drop me a mail at ordertinyllama@gmail.com

Attachments

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 59 of 659, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would been nice to be able to get hold on SOM-128-EX somewhere near, the shipping fee is a killer 😁 and after that the customs will add fee and tax on it.

naa, nothing yet...