VOGONS

An EPIC Single Socket-8 Build

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just as a matter of interest, the RAID card came fitted with a 64MB 168-pin PC100 ECC SIMM.

mIt49XC.jpg

As a test I fitted a 128MB non-ECC 168-pin SIMM to see if there would be any performance difference, which there wasn't , so I've reverted back to the 64MB of ECC memory on the card. As I'd like to have ECC on the RAID 0 setup!

YouTube

Reply 61 of 156, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many of those support up to 256 or 512mb cache.

Yeah, not surprised you didn’t see a gain though.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 62 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if I won't see a performance increase once the Pentium II Overdrive chip is fitted? (The processor on the card is meant to completely unload the system CPU though!)

I think that the 66MHz Bus speed is the limitation here though, as this card is much newer than this board and thus intended for systems with faster bus speeds.

YouTube

Reply 63 of 156, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it helps, just think of it like running a Celeron..
Morgan Freeman narrating: "It didn't help."

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 64 of 156, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you had agp you could use a agp to pci adapter for 66mhz.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 65 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know how it compares to a Celeron?

Celeron's don't really interest me, as they lack secondary cache! Yes they clock at high speeds, but allot of the excess MHz are wasted to overcome the performance hit due to the lack of secondary cache, along with other intentionally disabled features!

Last edited by Irinikus on 2022-10-17, 16:01. Edited 2 times in total.

YouTube

Reply 67 of 156, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Irinikus wrote on 2022-10-17, 15:52:

I don't know how it compares to a Celeron?

Celeron's don't really interest me, as they lack secondary cache! Yes they clock at high speeds, but allot of the excess MHz are wasted to overcome the performance hit due to the lack of secondary cache, along with other intentionally disabled features!

The mendocino cores were practically the same speed as Klamath due to on die L2 vs on module L2 despite size difference ... frequently all misnamed "Celeron A" when only the 300 was the 300A due to there being a cacheless 300 celeron released prior. Plus on a 440LX with SDRAM, a 333/66 bus mendocino doesn't compare at all to an overdrive on a 440FX you're right... it's gonna be some 10% faster on most games, particularly with an AGP card.

Anyhoo, I bet if you could get your hands on a Powerleap PL-Pro/II socket 8 to 370 convertor you'd want to run a celly on that board.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 68 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the future I’ll give one a look, only once the machine is complete (The overdrive chip just cost me $338, including shipping and taxes. Not a hell of allot, but enough to make me want to run it for a while and test it thoroughly!)

I enjoy comparing things, so I’ll happily do it when the opportunity arises and one becomes available, as such converters seem to be rather rare these days! 😀

YouTube

Reply 69 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At the request of @red-ray, I pulled my SGI VW320 out today! And while it was up and running I decided to test its drive speed using the ATTO Disk Benchmark and here are the results:

jz3cxoT.png

m9TgbHk.jpg

It has a single 15K RPM SCSI drive installed.

Interesting how it compares to the Pentium Pro system!

U82Ta45.jpg

oi16IXU.jpg

YouTube

Reply 70 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Pentium II Overdrive arrived today and it works in this motherboard!

9LDo2my.jpg

tJE772w.jpg

Wyst1PS.jpg

O3dmo8V.jpg

o0gt5yr.jpg

The machine was getting 13.6 FPS in Quake III with these settings, with the Pentium Pro installed:

waNhJ59.jpg

The machine is now getting 19.2 FPS with the same settings: (Overdrive installed)

CJjRN7A.jpg

This is a 29.1% improvement!!!

Next it's a Voodoo5 PCI and 768MB of ECC EDO RAM! (My aim here is to try and hit 30 FPS with these settings!) That will make me happy!

This is what it hit's at 800x600 with MAX settings :

mMGaAZe.jpg

84iy44a.jpg

YouTube

Reply 71 of 156, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Irinikus wrote on 2022-11-01, 11:18:
The Pentium II Overdrive arrived today and it works in this motherboard! […]
Show full quote

9LDo2my.jpg

*drooling* ... Please warn before posting NSFW pictures, as I view this from my desk at work 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 73 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-11-01, 11:45:
Show full quote

9LDo2my.jpg

*drooling* ... Please warn before posting NSFW pictures, as I view this from my desk at work 🤣

Sorry about that! 😀

YouTube

Reply 74 of 156, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Irinikus wrote on 2022-11-01, 12:26:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-11-01, 11:45:
Show full quote

9LDo2my.jpg

Sorry about that! 😀

The Overdrive is not naked .. you need to take it out of its plastic clothing it and turn it over for this to be NSFW.

I wanna see them shiny gold pins .. oh yeah baby.

Reply 75 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the Blender Test result: (Pentium II Overdrive installed)

SkhxyDO.jpg

Here's the original result with the Pentium Pro installed:

0x1HZuF.jpg

It's now 47,2% faster!!!

YouTube

Reply 76 of 156, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Irinikus wrote on 2022-11-01, 13:07:

It's now 47,2% faster!!!

You'd wonder if you compare the 16 bit performance.

Reply 77 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Disruptor wrote on 2022-11-02, 18:50:
Irinikus wrote on 2022-11-01, 13:07:

It's now 47,2% faster!!!

You'd wonder if you compare the 16 bit performance.

I unfortunately haven't benchmarked the machine with 16-bit applications at all, as it has XP installed.

This is the software I currently have installed on the machine:

Doom 95 is setup to run both Doom and Doom II and HLAUNCH is setup to give me Heretic, Hexen and the Deathkings of the Dark Citadel Hexen expansion.

Utq9MYu.jpg

Here's what SIV32X sees:

Gd2zWM6.jpg

The machine's not nearly finished yet! (The largest upgrade's still to come!)

YouTube

Reply 78 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know I'm crazy and will probably get allot of resistance for wanting to try this, but it's an experiment of curiosity. (And I also want rare collectable parts in this machine)

I'm aiming to acquire a Voodoo5 5500 PCI card early next year (January or February) and slot it into this machine, but before I go ahead with this I'd like to know whether it will indeed be possible, as this Pentium II Overdrive CPU doesn't have SSE or SSE2?

I'm obviously not expecting the card to run optimally, but I do want to get the best performance and quality possible from this Socket 8 system running games such as Quake III and Unreal using GLIDE.

What driver out of this list would you recommend for this system running XP Professional SP 3: (From what I've read in other posts, it will have to be one of the Amigamerlin drivers, but which one?)

c82C9dr.png

The reason I don't want to use a Voodoo2 SLI setup in this machine is because I'm going to be slotting one of these into my Dual Pentium Pro build, using a very good period specific Intergraph workstation card and a geometry accelerator card as my base card in that machine.

YouTube

Reply 79 of 156, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to find an answer which satisfies me: (The Voodoo5 5500 PCI tested on a Celeron 433)

XO4p7oS.png

The Voodoo 3 does perform better, but is only 16-Bit colour capable. (I want 32-Bit colour!!!)

O2jQAyu.png

So it can run on a system that doesn't feature SSE.

YouTube