VOGONS

First post, by simworld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am hoping this topic never been rise before as most of PSU are in solving problem.

I notice that the old system hardware like Soc 7 and Soc 370 particularly, the old PSU does not consume much power. the PSU generally fall in 200w ~ 240w.

For brand i understand people would suggest to go for decent tier brand such as Tt, CM, Corsair etc. Now my concern is more to the watt gonna get. To get a brand new PSU such as Tt, CM etc, it cost close to 200 bucks for a 600w PSU.

I am now looking for some light used tier 1 PSU which cost me 80 bucks so on, but the power is ranging 200w ~ 240w only. (wondering is Lite-On an OK brand?)

So generally I am curiously that is the 240w is enough for a setup such as follow:

1x celeron 333mhz
1x gateway s370 mobo
1x 16mb Trident/S3 PCI VGA card
1x Yamaha/Sblaster sound card
2x 128 SDRAM
1x DVD/CD writer
2x PATA harddisk
(mainly focus on DOS & Win98 games such as Brood war, Age of Empire, WarCraft 3 and not into FPS)

Reply 2 of 5, by simworld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maestro wrote on 2022-10-21, 04:39:

I'm going to guess that your setup pulls 120W max and I think s370 is a 12V CPU so a 200W - 240W Lite-On should be fine. I'd say Lite-On is a hit and miss brand.

oh....so all the old s370 / s7 hardware really do not need so much power. That would be good enough then. I can get a decent tier 200w psu with less than 100 bucks.

honestly, i dont know how all the electric V and W works. all i know is V * A == W...if no mistake.

Reply 3 of 5, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think maestro is right.

What I look for in a new PSU for old computers is the amount of amps in 5v rails. I went with a Seasonic S12III last time (can't remember the wattage), probably one of their cheapest.

Reply 4 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
simworld wrote on 2022-10-21, 03:16:
I am hoping this topic never been rise before as most of PSU are in solving problem. […]
Show full quote

I am hoping this topic never been rise before as most of PSU are in solving problem.

I notice that the old system hardware like Soc 7 and Soc 370 particularly, the old PSU does not consume much power. the PSU generally fall in 200w ~ 240w.

For brand i understand people would suggest to go for decent tier brand such as Tt, CM, Corsair etc. Now my concern is more to the watt gonna get. To get a brand new PSU such as Tt, CM etc, it cost close to 200 bucks for a 600w PSU.

I am now looking for some light used tier 1 PSU which cost me 80 bucks so on, but the power is ranging 200w ~ 240w only. (wondering is Lite-On an OK brand?)

So generally I am curiously that is the 240w is enough for a setup such as follow:

1x celeron 333mhz
1x gateway s370 mobo
1x 16mb Trident/S3 PCI VGA card
1x Yamaha/Sblaster sound card
2x 128 SDRAM
1x DVD/CD writer
2x PATA harddisk
(mainly focus on DOS & Win98 games such as Brood war, Age of Empire, WarCraft 3 and not into FPS)

This resumes my experience with power consumption on a socket 370 system:

Re: What modern PSU powers your Pentium3 setups?

Based on specs, yours will surely draw less power .

Reply 5 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Socket 7 and prior used 30w or less for cpu. Socket 370/A/1 stuff started to use a little more watts. But nothing even close to what modern cpus/gpus use.

As others have said, these old systems used the 5v rail to make many of the various board level sub voltages. So the more A rating you have on 5v the better. Socket 7 used 5v but by the time we got to 478 pretty much everyone was using 12v to make cpu voltages.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)