VOGONS

Reply 140 of 856, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
georgel wrote on 2022-09-11, 02:31:
carlostex wrote on 2022-09-10, 22:55:

Not to mention the actual money needed to acquire each separate.

Yep, a crystal based sound card costs about $30 on fleabay, and with the release of ARGUS PCBs the Gravis clone is about $40...

As the main ARGUS-person I strongly endorse this card, it's very obvious that it's a product of passion. It's made by 3 persons which had large, positive influence on the ARGUS project - they know what they're doing.
If you have a cheaper way of achieving the same result -> good for you. Doesn't make this card any worse, nor does it save you an ISA slot.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 141 of 856, by ChrisTOTG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This card sounds like the most amazing piece of new-old tech I've seen in a long time.

There is one person in the world making new Nixie Tubes. There are people making new Gravis Ultrasound and MIDI cards. We can attach a solid-state storage device to a 30-year-old PC with a variety of new hardware.

We live in a world with artisanal electronic components, and I love it.

I'd pay in advance for this card if it helps production.

Reply 144 of 856, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ChrisTOTG wrote on 2022-09-15, 17:51:
This card sounds like the most amazing piece of new-old tech I've seen in a long time. […]
Show full quote

This card sounds like the most amazing piece of new-old tech I've seen in a long time.

There is one person in the world making new Nixie Tubes. There are people making new Gravis Ultrasound and MIDI cards. We can attach a solid-state storage device to a 30-year-old PC with a variety of new hardware.

We live in a world with artisanal electronic components, and I love it.

I'd pay in advance for this card if it helps production.

I agree. It's a wonderful time to re-live the past.
Spent 10 hours straight fighting EMS memory and DesqView on a 286 last night. Back when I was a teenager I would probably have gone ballistic from all the trouble, now it was just 10 hours or zoning out and enjoying the research process. With beer close at hand, module files playing, it was as good as any vacation :D

I'll also happily front money for this project.

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 146 of 856, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Unrealcpu wrote on 2022-10-23, 16:25:

is there a price yet? I am interested as well

I noticed you asked the same question only a few hours ago. I think keropi mentioned that he's not ready to release it quite yet. Hopefully soon though!

We're all patiently waiting for him to make an announcement.

Reply 147 of 856, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

looks like many projects appeared recently, this one is beyond mind blowing! 🤯 kudos to the devs! 👍

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 148 of 856, by Fratzengeballer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

just stumbled over this right now, sounds like an awesome device, finally the one card to rule eh solve them all. Looking forward to listen to the sound when it arrives at my place some day 😀
keep up the awesome work!

Reply 149 of 856, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Satisfied Orpheus I owner signing in here.
Out of all my dos cards/modules only GUS is missing. With current ebay prices I'd rather shell out same 200+ EUR for replica with modern audio grade analog output.
Also last but not least I think engineers like keropi truly deserve our AAA+ level incentives for this kind of effort!

Looking forward for final revision.

Reply 150 of 856, by ychh0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As for CMS function, please share information about using MUS-1099 or SAAYM CMS card along with Orpheus I or II if there any. It seems many games require 220h for CMS and it is the same address of SB part of Orpheus I or II. I wonder if it is possible both card can share 220h.

Reply 151 of 856, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I want to present you the Orpheus II LT

GGKE9Gp.jpg

it is basically an OrpheusII without the interwave part - this means it has the OPL3 improvements of orpheusII as well as the pcb/analog optimizations so output is even better than the original card

note: on this "early bird" version there is a jumper next to CS-4237: as-is it will work just like the original Orpheus meaning that under windows we are still locked to Crystal-FM
but once the new version of ORPHINIT and firmware get released, you can flash the card with the new fw and move the jumper to the other position -> it will allow OPL3 to be selectable under windows just like the full orpheus shown in previous posts

In order to help fund production costs we have made 12pcs of these "black edition" LT boards , after these the next ones will be classic green color
if anyone wants one of these just head over to http://pcmidi.eu/orpheus2LT.html and grab one while stock lasts 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 152 of 856, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, so busy I cannot reach the site ("Backend server unavailable" according to BitNinja)..oh man!

Would love a black LT, and a "full fat" with the Interwave later on..

Reply 153 of 856, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2022-11-23, 16:35:
I want to present you the Orpheus II LT […]
Show full quote

GGKE9Gp.jpg

it is basically an OrpheusII without the interwave part - this means it has the OPL3 improvements of orpheusII as well as the pcb/analog optimizations so output is even better than the original card

Looks fantastic!

Has there been any modifications to the line-in levels on this new version?

That's the one issue I've encountered with the original Orpheus I is the line-in levels seem quite low, even after adjusting via drivers.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 154 of 856, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2022-11-23, 16:35:
I want to present you the Orpheus II LT […]
Show full quote

GGKE9Gp.jpg

note: on this "early bird" version there is a jumper next to CS-4237: as-is it will work just like the original Orpheus meaning that under windows we are still locked to Crystal-FM
but once the new version of ORPHINIT and firmware get released, you can flash the card with the new fw and move the jumper to the other position -> it will allow OPL3 to be selectable under windows just like the full orpheus shown in previous posts

In order to help fund production costs we have made 12pcs of these "black edition" LT boards , after these the next ones will be classic green color
if anyone wants one of these just head over to http://pcmidi.eu/orpheus2LT.html and grab one while stock lasts 😀

Awesome to see this 😀

I just put in my pre-order. Can't wait to see full version come out.

Reply 156 of 856, by Ulfenknulfen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What a beautiful card!
congratulations!

best regards
Paddy

🎵 Waveblaster Adaptor for IDE-HDD Swap Frames
🎧 Beepblaster 1.0 Wavetable Module
🎶 Roland MT-32 Buffer overflow Hardware Fix
🕹️🖱️USB HID Devices on PS/2 and Gameport.

Reply 157 of 856, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-11-23, 17:10:

Looks fantastic!

Has there been any modifications to the line-in levels on this new version?

That's the one issue I've encountered with the original Orpheus I is the line-in levels seem quite low, even after adjusting via drivers.

no modifications on the line-in levels as they are implemented according to the Crystal recommendations
but if you are really interested you can modify this by swapping some passives, if you can do that I will tell you which

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 159 of 856, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a little tight on money right now, so I'm skipping this generation of Orpheus, but these are beautiful cards and I appreciate all the effort that has gone into them. I'm super satisfied with my Orpheus I. It's probably the coolest computer part I've bought in the last 20 years.