VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys,

I don't know if anyone has had this experience but I own an ASUS Prime Z690 motherboard with DDR5 5600 RAM. With XMP set to II in the bios. I noticed that I would get random blue screens of death in Windows 11, however if I go into my system bios and disable PCI express native power management, this issue goes away.

Isn't that weird?

CPU is an I7 12700k and GPU is an RTX 3070 ASUS TUFF OC.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 1 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought that was recommended by Asus to be disabled in the mobo BIOS since it's an Asus BIOS bug and/or mobo hardware issue? Is it running the latest BIOS?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 11, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-10-23, 22:36:

I thought that was recommended by Asus to be disabled in the mobo BIOS since it's an Asus BIOS bug and/or mobo hardware issue? Is it running the latest BIOS?

Yes, I've updated each time they released one. I just updated to the latest today. I don't mind turning it off, I just think its weird and strange also that they have not fixed this issue yet. I think it has something to do with the GPU using PCI express 4.0 and people say to put your GPU in PCI express 3 slot but honestly that is just silly imo. ASUS should fix this bug.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 3 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Built this machine two weeks ago. I've made it my main desktop for now until I can get another graphics card for my main pc. So far no stability issues, if so will definetly be letting Asus know.
There was a scare when I first got it and did the burn-in tests and had memory errors no matter what settings I used but updating to the latest bios fixed that.

DosFreak All System Specs 10-25-2022
Re: DosFreak All System Specs 4-14-2022
Living Room

Case: SAMA IM01 $69.99
Case feet: 4x Monosaudio 40x20mm Speaker Isolation Feet Speaker $15.50
PSU: Silverstone SX1000 SFX-L 1000W $353.94
Motherboard: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR X670E GENE MATX $599.99
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X - 16-Core 4.5 GHz - Socket AM5 - 170W Desktop Processor (100-100000514WOF) $699.00
Processor cooler: Noctua NH-U12A $119.95
Memory: 2x G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo Series AMD EXPO 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) $259.99
SSD: 2x SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 $644.46
Fans: 4x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM chromax.black.swap, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Black) $131.60
1x Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM chromax.black.swap, Premium Quiet Slim Fan, 4-Pin (120x15mm, Black) $26.95
Video card: GIGABYTE Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card GV-N3080GAMING OC-10GD (rev. 2.0) (LHR)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 11, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To let you know, DDR5 is too young still, I'd wait bit longer for this to develop better. And G.Skill is not a memory maker and not quality, since the PCB is designed by them and memory ICs bought on open market is not up to standards plus SPD programming is not designed correctly.

I once had pair of Corsair veragance 4GB DDR3 DDR3 1600 and they were detected as DDR3 1333 on most boards, had to use XMP to use 1600, totally incorrect! There were plenty of DDR3 1600 sticks as well and worked correctly. One day I found good SPD data on a quality DDR3 1600 stick and transferred this copy to Consair sticks and sold that pair. That pair was not marketed for overclocker, just bog standard at typical cost.

If you want quality and want to overclock, buy Curcial Ballistix series instead. These memory ICs were made by Micron memory maker and they design these SIMMs inhouse and SPD programming, Curcial is public facing brand selling micron modules, same with their Curcial SSDs, their NAND ICs are made by Micron as well. Samsung SSDs is their vertical in house designed both their controller and NAND ICs.

Kingston and Muskin were good brands to have for second choice but these chips are purchased on open market and remarked so you don't know who made these chips.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 11, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have Pariot Viper Rams.
They sell as DDR4-3200 ..

DDR4-1.png
Filename
DDR4-1.png
File size
25.04 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
ddr4-2.png
Filename
ddr4-2.png
File size
10.49 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It actually runs fine at 3200 but SPD says 2667 only..

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 11, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-10-24, 19:19:
To let you know, DDR5 is too young still, I'd wait bit longer for this to develop better. And G.Skill is not a memory maker […]
Show full quote

To let you know, DDR5 is too young still, I'd wait bit longer for this to develop better. And G.Skill is not a memory maker and not quality, since the PCB is designed by them and memory ICs bought on open market is not up to standards plus SPD programming is not designed correctly.

I once had pair of Corsair veragance 4GB DDR3 DDR3 1600 and they were detected as DDR3 1333 on most boards, had to use XMP to use 1600, totally incorrect! There were plenty of DDR3 1600 sticks as well and worked correctly. One day I found good SPD data on a quality DDR3 1600 stick and transferred this copy to Consair sticks and sold that pair. That pair was not marketed for overclocker, just bog standard at typical cost.

If you want quality and want to overclock, buy Curcial Ballistix series instead. These memory ICs were made by Micron memory maker and they design these SIMMs inhouse and SPD programming, Curcial is public facing brand selling micron modules, same with their Curcial SSDs, their NAND ICs are made by Micron as well. Samsung SSDs is their vertical in house designed both their controller and NAND ICs.

Kingston and Muskin were good brands to have for second choice but these chips are purchased on open market and remarked so you don't know who made these chips.

Cheers,

I'm not sure about XMP, but it appears that gaming memory sticks usually use a lower SPD (JEDEC timings), and you definitely need to turn on XMP in order to use the rated speed. However, not all motherboards have XMP, though it's always possible to configure those timings defined in XMP by hand (which was what I did before I become aware of XMP).

I also had similar gaming-focused DDR3 sticks that are rated higher (like 1600 or 1866), but they only contain SPD info up to 1333 and require XMP to use the higher clock.

On the other hand, general-purpose sticks (not so optimized for gaming), and even ECC ones (more useful for AMD platforms), do have all the SPD up to the clock they were rated, though they are usually configured to use JEDEC timings by default, which are usually laxer than those defined in XMP.

Reply 7 of 11, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-10-24, 19:19:
To let you know, DDR5 is too young still, I'd wait bit longer for this to develop better. And G.Skill is not a memory maker […]
Show full quote

Cheers,

I've never had any issues with Gskill kits, especially with AMD systems as Gskill are the only fab that works directly with AMD to produce modules designed for AMD CPUs, as for quality they are no worse than any of the other fabs, Corsair would beat them for shitty fabrication.

I hate most Corsair products, not just their memory, their build quality is garbage along with longevity.

Reply 8 of 11, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ddr4 should become cheaper when ddr5 be mainstream but in relevance to this thread i recommend a memory test. i'm seeing auctions on eBay about ddr5 and I have purchased ddr3 1600 that was really 1333 because they programmed the version in otherwords I was cammed look out for immitations they may be cheap but unstable and die young 🤣

Reply 9 of 11, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The memory was not sold as overclocker type because of inexpensive price. Just typical memory rated for 1600, no where the wording says it is 1333 by default and requires XMP to use 1600 which is factually incorrect. I was trying to find DDR3 1600 memory locally and could not get good choices back in the day when I purchased, was needed in our family computer to bump it to 8GB and what I recall was, that was when DDR3 is trailing off on production so choices was shrinking. After that, I bought all the used memory online from ebay to get OEM memory, in my case Micron or Crucial and they worked correctly first try.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 10 of 11, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-10-25, 22:24:

The memory was not sold as overclocker type because of inexpensive price. Just typical memory rated for 1600, no where the wording says it is 1333 by default and requires XMP to use 1600 which is factually incorrect. I was trying to find DDR3 1600 memory locally and could not get good choices back in the day when I purchased, was needed in our family computer to bump it to 8GB and what I recall was, that was when DDR3 is trailing off on production so choices was shrinking. After that, I bought all the used memory online from ebay to get OEM memory, in my case Micron or Crucial and they worked correctly first try.

Cheers,

Honestly, oem memory is fine. You don't really need fancy gaming Ram. I don't think it makes much difference in the end when compared side to side.

Reply 11 of 11, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sly_Botts wrote on 2022-11-14, 23:04:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-10-25, 22:24:

Cheers,

Honestly, oem memory is fine. You don't really need fancy gaming Ram. I don't think it makes much difference in the end when compared side to side.

Gaming RAM contains XMP values that not all motherboards can reliably use. Some motherboards simply do not have what it takes to use these values due to limitations in either chipset or power circuitry design (such as VRMs). One may need to refer to the specs of the boards/platforms those XMP values were tested against, if such information can be found.

OEM memory should work just fine at the speed and timing they were rated provided they aren't really defective. It is possible to overclock such OEM memory like changing speed or tuning timings, but your mileage may vary depending on the quality of the components.

Actually memory speed is mainly about peak transfer rate which can be useful for RAM disks, similar to SSD's sequential R/W. If you pay attention to the JEDEC timings of corresponding RAM speeds, you'll notice that in most cases they result in a very similar CAS latency in microseconds so especially when not using XMP, the performance should be similar as long as you're not bottlenecked by peak transfer rate, or even CPU's own processing power.

Back to the original question... I'm not sure about PCIe power management related stuffs, but from my experience all kinds of power management features introduce instabilities, and can in some cases very disastrous for devices that need to be run 24/7 without interruptions. I have motherboards that need to downgrade the PCIe slot I use for the video card to GEN2 (which disables ASPM and some other stuffs) in order to address some random stuttering issues with Linux, which were actually correctable PCIe AERs behind the scenes. Not sure how Windows handles PCIe AERs (correctable or not), though. What bugcheck code did Windows say when the system BSOD'd?