VOGONS

First post, by dunzdeck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right, my first “proper” post here. Having replied to a few topics in the past week, I’ve decided to make a proper introduction and show you my current retro project. Long post ahead - apologies in advance!

I was born in 1984. When I was eight, my parents got me and my little brother a NES for Christmas. All the cool kids had SNESes at that point, in fact I am surprised they could still find one new in 1993. It didn’t matter. We had fun with all the non-cool kids at school, borrowing each other’s games and swapping tips.

Then in the autumn of 1995 my parents had a sizable financial windfall. Mother got a nice bracelet and dad got us a Compaq Presario, with an unusual 486sx2/66 😎 He mainly intended to use it for work, but thinking of me and my brother, he paid (a lot) extra to have an ESS sound card installed as well as a CDROM drive. The store didn’t configure them though, so we were reduced to playing floppy disc games with PC speaker sounds until at least 1997 😁 I don’t know how we first figured out how to play using the sound card, but I do remember how mind blowing it was! We played X-Wing Collector’s CD for ages. Couldn’t get enough.

It picked up from there. A friend actually gave us his parent’s 486 - a nicer OEM machine, with a FIC mobo with VLB and PCI. By now, 1998, all the cool kids had Pentium IIs, so it was very easy to find older gear. Another friend sold me his GUS clone (a Primax Altrasound) for 25 guilders, about 12€. We scrounged SIMMs and hard drives from people. Picked up complete PCs off the curb, discarded. Went to Amsterdam’s legendary computer fair. I slowly worked my way up to a Compaq Deskpro 5133, which a friend had gotten from his dad’s office. I got it cheap and would kit it out with a Voodoo, lots of RAM, etcetera. Played everything from TIE fighter to Half-Life on it, which was taxing for a Pentium 133 running at 166mhz!

Anyway, eventually life - and modernity - caught up. We sold our massive NES collection for a pittance. Dad gave us money to build a modern PC for us all to use. We threw out loads of old stuff. Later, I started collecting and playing lots of Sega Saturn stuff. Played Battlefield 1942 online and with friends. That all ended when I went to college.

Almost 20 years have passed since, and I’ve been rediscovering my interest in the PC tinkering days of my youth. The 486 stuff I played with when Pentium was king. The thrill of going from 8 mb of RAM to 16. Playing LHX from floppy disc and discovering the “high detail” setting after months. You know, we all have such memories ✊🏽

So anyway. I looked around and bought this last month, on a classifieds website:

FED8B536-166F-4552-9A61-187F151404ED.jpeg
Filename
FED8B536-166F-4552-9A61-187F151404ED.jpeg
File size
157.27 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
9059E397-E2BC-4CBF-AC39-D5785FA5ABEB.jpeg
Filename
9059E397-E2BC-4CBF-AC39-D5785FA5ABEB.jpeg
File size
281.53 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

A Dell Inspiron 3000 with 266 mhz Pentium II. Just like the cool kids 😎👌🏼
It came with a massive port replicator, which, crucially, has a joystick port!

This is not my only retro machine. I recently found a Toshiba Satellite 300CDT in my parents storage that I had briefly played around with in college. Can’t remember how I got it, but it works flawlessly. Also bought a Tecra 8000 for cheap during my last bout of nostalgia, last winter. It petered out due to lack of time, and no joystick port to play.

This time I’m gonna get serious:

2754C770-8AE7-42C4-BFDD-0DFD7534EC94.jpeg
Filename
2754C770-8AE7-42C4-BFDD-0DFD7534EC94.jpeg
File size
75.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The above took me a full evening to get to. You see the point is, this Dell HAS. NO. CD. Drive!! 😩🤯
D’oh!

The two Toshibas have one, and I naturally assumed this one would, too. Oops.

No sweat: from lurking on this forum I knew about SHUCD. It’s actually a huge help that the Dell had been equipped with a weird dual boot setup by its previous owner:

FF5EEE02-D89E-4DB6-9CBC-8A6EEE0DEAF9.jpeg
Filename
FF5EEE02-D89E-4DB6-9CBC-8A6EEE0DEAF9.jpeg
File size
158.04 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Something calls “Weary Puppy Linux”. Never heard of it!

Not to worry. I ISO’d my original copy of TIE CD, put it on CF, put it in a PCMCIA card and unzipped it to the DOS partition on the Dell, which had a little screen to show activity:

4B0F1091-EA68-4542-BFC5-9BCB459F6ECF.jpeg
Filename
4B0F1091-EA68-4542-BFC5-9BCB459F6ECF.jpeg
File size
67.23 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

That’s HD and PCMCIA activity, pretty neat!

So that’s my journey so far. I finally got a machine on which to replay the flight and space sims from when I was a kid. I also got the two Toshibas that I plan to use to play Warcraft 2, GTA, Albion etcetera.
Can’t wait to get started!!

Reply 1 of 7, by totoro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings! Nice story mate, I sure can share the sentiment of being born in 1984, then somewhere in mid 90s getting a NES clone as my first PC of sorts. All that stuff about non-cool kids having fun is so familiar. Haha. Up until 2000s I've only messed with PC's on paper as my family could not really afford a real one. I was like a walking PC Catalogue, knew the prices and all about PC stuff from memory. And when that first PC finally has landed on my desk, oh boy I was a tinkerer for a while. Lately I've also discovered retro computing as a way to relive some of that tinkering fun from back then and also having little to no experience of DOS/Win98 days, today It is interesting to kind of fill these gaps. Anyway, nice collection of laptops!

Penguin Workshop
https://viekelis.lt

Reply 2 of 7, by dunzdeck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks totoro! The "walking PC catalogue" thing definitely resonates, hahaha. These days I couldn't even name a modern processor!

I had to stop writing last night because I was getting too tired (having kids = no sleep...), so I'll devote a few more words to the Dell Inspiron 3000.
It is a snappy looking machine, with its angular looks and all matte finish. The screen is great (honestly) and it scales well. It has one of those dreaded Neomagic chips, but so far it seems to be workin well. But what do I know, all I tried so far is Windows 98, that weird Linux distro, and Tie Fighter 😁

Sound Blaster compatibility works great as long as "PNP Os" is turned off in the BIOS. Interestingly, it has this option per device, so you can set the Parallel Port to "PNP OS" while setting the sound IRQs manually. Sound volume is set through Fn+ key combos, which delightfully also work in DOS!
However, the speakers don't seem to shut off when I plug something into Line Out. Need to find a way to deal with that. I can't play PC games at night with my toddler in the other room this way!

The battery is most definitely dead; it doesn't even pretend to charge. What is odd though is that the CMOS battery also appears to be dead. Odd you say?
Well, it would make perfect sense given the age of the machine, were it not that the service manual makes no mention of there being any replacability to it. So I guess I'm stuck with setting the time and date at bootup.

The 4GB drive it came with is partitioned with both Windows 98 and Linux, so I guess it belonged to some kind of enthusiast. There's no personal files on it whatsoever. Kind of mysterious. I don't know any of the passwords to the Linux distro, but it boots into XWindows without password, so I'm good as long as I don't need any root for anything!

Reply 3 of 7, by totoro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Indeed very strange behavior of the sound card for not disconnecting the speakers when line out is connected, but then I have seen a few laptops that behaved this way. Sometimes they just had a separate mixer channel for speakers and it might just be the matter of finding a proper mixer utility for the sound card under DOS.

As for CMOS, hard to tell, no experience with these old Dell laptops. I would bet, that if you would disassemble it enough, you would find a CMOS battery in one of these forms:
* CR2032/2025 coin cell (easily replaceable or fused onto metal brackets and soldered into PCB which would require a soldering job to fix).
* A coin cell in the plastic shrink, connected to the motherboard via some wired connection (Easy to DIY rig some replacement).
* Some Lithium or NiMH 3 to 7 Volt rechargeable battery (which is more difficult to replace with a coin cell as you would have to some how disable charging current, by using some diode or some modding). It should be possible to find an exact replacement in the electronic store. Or at least it would be very much advisable to remove it from the system, before it has decided to leak!
* Some exotic integrated stuff, like Dallas RTC microchip with integrated battery or something like that (very rare on laptops, so not likely).

And I don't know how capable you are on the Linux front, but it should be very easy to change the root password. Just have to edit lilo or grub boot loarder boot line and append init=/bin/bash to it. The system would then boot into single user mode of sorts and would instantly give you root privileges and then it would be a matter of just running passwd command and setting your own password. After reboot, the system is yours 😉

Penguin Workshop
https://viekelis.lt

Reply 4 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome and nice backstory, seems to be a fairly common one.
Alot of people seem to have gotten a 486 around 1995 and having to make that last for 5 years which is towards the end of the PII era - a very large gap technology wise!

I've a few old laptops complete with docking stations, I use them as the workstations to the old server OS's I enjoy messing around with. Docking stations takes a lot less space then a PC so can have a few docking stations set up ready in the same space.

Reply 6 of 7, by dunzdeck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
totoro wrote on 2022-10-23, 16:45:
Indeed very strange behavior of the sound card for not disconnecting the speakers when line out is connected, but then I have se […]
Show full quote

Indeed very strange behavior of the sound card for not disconnecting the speakers when line out is connected, but then I have seen a few laptops that behaved this way. Sometimes they just had a separate mixer channel for speakers and it might just be the matter of finding a proper mixer utility for the sound card under DOS.

As for CMOS, hard to tell, no experience with these old Dell laptops. I would bet, that if you would disassemble it enough, you would find a CMOS battery in one of these forms:
* CR2032/2025 coin cell (easily replaceable or fused onto metal brackets and soldered into PCB which would require a soldering job to fix).
* A coin cell in the plastic shrink, connected to the motherboard via some wired connection (Easy to DIY rig some replacement).
* Some Lithium or NiMH 3 to 7 Volt rechargeable battery (which is more difficult to replace with a coin cell as you would have to some how disable charging current, by using some diode or some modding). It should be possible to find an exact replacement in the electronic store. Or at least it would be very much advisable to remove it from the system, before it has decided to leak!
* Some exotic integrated stuff, like Dallas RTC microchip with integrated battery or something like that (very rare on laptops, so not likely).

And I don't know how capable you are on the Linux front, but it should be very easy to change the root password. Just have to edit lilo or grub boot loarder boot line and append init=/bin/bash to it. The system would then boot into single user mode of sorts and would instantly give you root privileges and then it would be a matter of just running passwd command and setting your own password. After reboot, the system is yours 😉

Thanks! I'll have a look-see for that mixer utility, after I try all the sound ports (on the dock and on the machine).

And thanks for that GRUB tip - I knew there was a way, but it's been years since I last messed with Linux on that level!