Common searches

Reply 20 of 26, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-10-28, 05:37:
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-28, 05:23:

Clearly they lost money by not negotiating with me. They literally made less money on recycled junk. This is less capitalism and more just poor business practice.

It's my opinion that they must move enough product at their list price that they don't care to spend any extra effort to move anything on smaller orders, even if it means getting rid of excess inventory that they will end up throwing away anyways.

That may be the case. Or it's some dude selling crap out if his garage on the weekend while believing he's sitting on a gold mine. Either way, he's likely practically "married" to his crap and believes it is worth its weight in gold. He might see the light,or not.

In my experience guys that are married to their junk don't actually want to sell it, they see it as theirs and only theirs but they are being forced to make an attempt to sell it. Sometimes this is forced by the SO, financial situation or as an attempt to prove they can get rid of it, in the end they really don't care if you buy it at their inflated price or not.

At least they can say they attempted to get rid of it but no one wanted to buy it, this gives them an "out" so to speak by blaming others.

Reply 21 of 26, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I find your commentary particularly entertaining, considering your forum name, TrashPanda. 😁

I like to imagine that you're speaking from personal experience. I also like to read your posts, as if spoken aloud by a tiny raccoon, from 45 degree angle, each word imparting great wisdom, in a very high pitched voice.

Reply 22 of 26, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-28, 06:23:

I find your commentary particularly entertaining, considering your forum name, TrashPanda. 😁

I like to imagine that you're speaking from personal experience. I also like to read your posts, as if spoken aloud by a tiny raccoon, from 45 degree angle, each word imparting great wisdom, in a very high pitched voice.

OH SHIT

They got me boys

*jumps back into the huge trash pile screaming MINE MINE MINE

Reply 23 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-28, 05:41:

It's a very large reseller on eBay, out of California. Maybe they are trying to make up for the price of gas. It's twice as expensive there as the rest of the country. Last I heard, it was $7 USD a gallon. It's only $3.30 here in the Northeast.

Ah, that's different from the dude in the garage scenario then.

Maybe some ( potentially delusional) bean counters took over, assigned everything in inventory an arbitrary "value" and decided that anything below that set "value" is a "loss" and can't be allowed to happen. That might work if they had a virtually monopoly, but since they don't, I don't see the business sense. Then again, if it works well enough for them to keep them afloat... However, IMHO, if their business model relies on high profit margins to offset high operating costs, I'm guessing they'll eventually fall on tough(er) times if they don't re-evaluate how they do things .

I could be completely wrong, of course.

Reply 24 of 26, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-10-28, 13:22:
Ah, that's different from the dude in the garage scenario then. […]
Show full quote
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-28, 05:41:

It's a very large reseller on eBay, out of California. Maybe they are trying to make up for the price of gas. It's twice as expensive there as the rest of the country. Last I heard, it was $7 USD a gallon. It's only $3.30 here in the Northeast.

Ah, that's different from the dude in the garage scenario then.

Maybe some ( potentially delusional) bean counters took over, assigned everything in inventory an arbitrary "value" and decided that anything below that set "value" is a "loss" and can't be allowed to happen. That might work if they had a virtually monopoly, but since they don't, I don't see the business sense. Then again, if it works well enough for them to keep them afloat... However, IMHO, if their business model relies on high profit margins to offset high operating costs, I'm guessing they'll eventually fall on tough(er) times if they don't re-evaluate how they do things .

I could be completely wrong, of course.

Things are pretty scuffed in Cali right now, surprising that businesses are not doing all they can to keep their profit margins afloat, a 100 USD sale is better than no sale so its an odd decision on their part.

Reply 25 of 26, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recyclers have no idea what will sell on any given week to collectors.

They part out machines they get for maximum value and recycle what is left over after a period of time to make room for newer acquisitions.

Some people working out of a garage will keep stuff longer than an operation that has major costs with storage.

There really is a minimum people want to even bother selling something and if they think you are going to be a problem buyer, they will not deal with you. Ask too many questions, low ball too much, or want stuff tested or guaranteed and that it for you. To be honest with minimum wages I am kind of surprised some places would even deal with laptop plastics at all.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 26 of 26, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even some private sellers insist on factoring in the cost of their time in picking wrapping and posting an item. That's on top of their putative "value" of the item (rather than being the basis for it).

If you're a business and serious about making money, you might do the same. How else can you pay for your building, heat & light, staff wages, etc, when you are just selling tat and maybe don't sell much at that.

TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-28, 05:49:

In my experience guys that are married to their junk don't actually want to sell it, they see it as theirs and only theirs but they are being forced to make an attempt to sell it. Sometimes this is forced by the SO, financial situation or as an attempt to prove they can get rid of it, in the end they really don't care if you buy it at their inflated price or not.

At least they can say they attempted to get rid of it but no one wanted to buy it, this gives them an "out" so to speak by blaming others.

Briliiant! Also .... sounds like a plan....