Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 46881 of 52932, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-30, 07:31:

I hadn't checked AliExpress. Thanks for the tip.

I guess the lock downs in China are also affecting availability of some items on the bay, but Ali generally has them if the bay doesn't.

Reply 46882 of 52932, by UncleYong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just recently got this board for cheap - I re-used an old RAM stick and the Cyrix MII-300 I got from an old friend of mine many years back.

ga5smmPic.jpg
Filename
ga5smmPic.jpg
File size
694.38 KiB
Views
File comment
Gigabyte GA5SMM
File license
Public domain

The old friend gave me his unused PC many years back - was with a PCChips M598 and the Cyrix MII processor. Unfortunately, destroyed that motherboard in an embarrassing accident (short circuited at the bottom of the board, destroyed the PSU and the board) , leaving the Cyrix intact and the other parts.

This board I recently get now reminds a lot on the PCChips M598, except it has no onboard sound. Well, I have a spare soundcard, so why not put it in now? 😀

My GitHub: https://github.com/nyh-workshop

Reply 46883 of 52932, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
UncleYong wrote on 2022-10-30, 14:00:
I just recently got this board for cheap - I re-used an old RAM stick and the Cyrix MII-300 I got from an old friend of mine man […]
Show full quote

I just recently got this board for cheap - I re-used an old RAM stick and the Cyrix MII-300 I got from an old friend of mine many years back.
ga5smmPic.jpg

The old friend gave me his unused PC many years back - was with a PCChips M598 and the Cyrix MII processor. Unfortunately, destroyed that motherboard in an embarrassing accident (short circuited at the bottom of the board, destroyed the PSU and the board) , leaving the Cyrix intact and the other parts.

This board I recently get now reminds a lot on the PCChips M598, except it has no onboard sound. Well, I have a spare soundcard, so why not put it in now? 😀

Nice! A MicroATX Socket 7 system? I can't remember I've ever seen one.
Installed in a modern tiny mATX case this would make an awesome portable Retro-Sleeper 😀

Reply 46884 of 52932, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-30, 06:51:

I bought an ESS Solo-1 with a Wavetable header (seller's photo, not mine). It's hard to find these with the header on them. I've read that if you solder the pin header onto a card without one, it will work just fine. I've never tried it though.

Screenshot_20221030-024825_eBay.jpg

rare on uk ebay, been hunting for one for some time.

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 46885 of 52932, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2022-10-30, 16:42:

An even more interesting board is the Chaintech CT-5RSA2. Same form factor, but Aladdin V and AGP slot.

Reply 46886 of 52932, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UncleYong wrote on 2022-10-30, 14:00:

ga5smmPic.jpg

You can tell that it's a very late model board by the color on the rear I/O port housing. This was some industry-wide standard that occured, and you can roughly judge the relative age of boards of this era by the presence of it.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can provide some more information.

Reply 46887 of 52932, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_System_Design_Guide#PC-97

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 46889 of 52932, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-30, 06:51:

I bought an ESS Solo-1 with a Wavetable header (seller's photo, not mine). It's hard to find these with the header on them. I've read that if you solder the pin header onto a card without one, it will work just fine. I've never tried it though.

I can confirm adding a header will work. I modified my own ESS Solo-1 in this way and it worked perfectly. 😀

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 46890 of 52932, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found this TEAC FD-505 at some surplus store today for $4. Seems to be in barely used condition. There's nothing wrong at all with the faceplate; it was half unclipped so I fully removed it.

Attachments

Reply 46891 of 52932, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's awesome. I've been wanting one of these, but not enough to pay what people have been asking for it on the used market. Great find.

Shponglefan wrote on 2022-10-30, 21:04:

I can confirm adding a header will work. I modified my own ESS Solo-1 in this way and it worked perfectly. 😀

It looks like someone snapped up that Solo-1 on eBay that is missing the wavetable header. Which one of you was it? 😀

Reply 46892 of 52932, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-30, 20:39:

According to that article, PC-99 seems to be more accurate.

Comprehensive color-coding scheme for ports and connectors

PC-97 introduced colored PS/2 ports.

I saw a full call-out once, I am recalling that PC-97 introduced the idea with only mouse and kb compulsory, but PC-99 made it mandatory. But I could be wrong.

PC 2001 seems very helpful as a warning label, not suitable for retro below XP 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 46893 of 52932, by UncleYong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HanSolo wrote on 2022-10-30, 16:42:

Installed in a modern tiny mATX case this would make an awesome portable Retro-Sleeper 😀

Yes, it's a micro ATX. Initially I wanted to get the one with the BAT form factor - however the stores don't supply these vga to motherboard cables together.

Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-30, 19:17:

You can tell that it's a very late model board by the color on the rear I/O port housing. This was some industry-wide standard that occured, and you can roughly judge the relative age of boards of this era by the presence of it.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can provide some more information.

Oh, forgot to write down the board name: it's a Gigabyte GA5SMM. The manual book is around so it's even easier to set it up. 😀

My GitHub: https://github.com/nyh-workshop

Reply 46894 of 52932, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Won this this little beauty for 120 bucks in working condition, a Compaq Armada 1750. Its the 366 Model with the ATI and 13 inch screen if Im reading the model number right. Been wanting one of these as a portable pure DOS/95 machine. I might be able to source a new battery for it so its portability will be limited till I can get one.

Compaq Armada 1750.jpg
Filename
Compaq Armada 1750.jpg
File size
269.54 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Model.jpg
Filename
Model.jpg
File size
599.44 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
Bios.jpg
Filename
Bios.jpg
File size
278.72 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
Coax Out.jpg
Filename
Coax Out.jpg
File size
199.73 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
Running.jpg
Filename
Running.jpg
File size
282.08 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license

Might also eventually get some of the accessories for it when they eventually pop up on the Evilbay.

Reply 46895 of 52932, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
UncleYong wrote on 2022-10-31, 05:33:

Oh, forgot to write down the board name: it's a Gigabyte GA5SMM. The manual book is around so it's even easier to set it up. 😀

This is actually a Super Socket 7 board, not a Socket 7.
From the Gigabyte homepage:
- Intel, AMD K6-3, IBM/Cyrix, IDT Processor 100~550 MHz
- Socket 7 for future Processor support
- 66/75/83/90/95/100/105*/112*/124*/133* MHz System Bus
- CPU Voltage 1.3V~3.5V
- Clock multiplier 1.5/2.0 ...... / 5.5
It doesn't list K6-2+ or K6-III+ processors, but those should run as well. Might require a BIOS modification. These are mobile processors and can change their multiplicator via software. Prices for boards who can run these CPUs has doubled/trippled within a few months, after a huge supply of NOS highend CPUs surfaced. Like a container full.

It's a bit a shame that it doesn't has an AGP slot. AGP graphics cards are much cheaper.
But you could slap in a Trio64+Voodoo. Or a Voodoo3 PCI.

Reply 46896 of 52932, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eesz34 wrote on 2022-10-31, 00:29:

Found this TEAC FD-505 at some surplus store today for $4. Seems to be in barely used condition. There's nothing wrong at all with the faceplate; it was half unclipped so I fully removed it.

Noticed your earlier (deleted) post re. the missing 3.5 eject button - it's nothing more than a small cube of plastic with a slit on the back surface (possibly with an internal securing lug) which fixes to the eject push lever. Here's a pic from mine for detail

FD-505 Eject Buttons.jpg
Filename
FD-505 Eject Buttons.jpg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 46897 of 52932, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-31, 09:54:

Won this this little beauty for 120 bucks in working condition, a Compaq Armada 1750. Its the 366 Model with the ATI and 13 inch screen if Im reading the model number right. Been wanting one of these as a portable pure DOS/95 machine. I might be able to source a new battery for it so its portability will be limited till I can get one.

If it's a NiMH battery, there are lots of places that can rebuild it for you. I don't know if anyone who can rebuild a lithium cell battery though, as it requires a special license and other equipment.

Battery packs are one thing I won't ever try and repair myself. It's just too dangerous, as there is a very real risk of serious chemical fire.

Reply 46898 of 52932, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-31, 19:12:

Battery packs are one thing I won't ever try and repair myself. It's just too dangerous, as there is a very real risk of serious chemical fire.

that's why you need an "explosion containment pie dish." (see attached image)

I personally use one of those pancake-shaped flat bricks from the local Homeless Despot. I mean as long as you can quickly take the angry pixie pouch outside, the risk is really minimal.

Attachments

• FWMftPjWAAEjaz7.jpg
    Filename
    FWMftPjWAAEjaz7.jpg
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Views
    File license

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 46899 of 52932, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-10-31, 19:03:
eesz34 wrote on 2022-10-31, 00:29:

Noticed your earlier (deleted) post re. the missing 3.5 eject button - it's nothing more than a small cube of plastic with a slit on the back surface (possibly with an internal securing lug) which fixes to the eject push lever. Here's a pic from mine for detail

FD-505 Eject Buttons.jpg

Funny story with that. When I found this drive, half the faceplate clips weren't snapped into place, so for whatever reason I fully removed it instead of trying to snap them into place. I suppose I wanted to be really careful putting it back on and the surplus store wasn't the place to do that. I walked around the store for over 30 more minutes, holding this drive with the front facing up, and the faceplate just sitting on it in position, but not snapped on.

I get home later, start inspecting it and realize the 3.5 button isn't there. Crap!!! Was it ever there? Did it fall off in the store, or in the parking lot? Does it make sense to go looking for it. Uggghhhh. I spent the rest of the afternoon thinking about what could have happened, and if it was ever there. Funny how such details escapes a person sometimes. I reasoned that since the faceplate has half off when I found it, maybe it was already missing.

So this morning I post the question you reference, then had an idea to go and look in my car fully expecting not to find anything. Found the button the second I opened the door. Whew. It could have so easily fell off anywhere else and been non-recoverable. I consider myself damn lucky and next time will be more careful.

So thank you for being so kind and taking these pictures. I almost needed them, but in this case I am glad I don't 😀