VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys, been a long time since I was active on here. I'm trying to break my facebook / youtube addiction so I may be more active in the future. 🤣 I'll also be buying back my Packard Bell corner computer from a friend who's been holding onto it for me thankfully, and have already ordered a few boxed games off ebay. It's honestly insane how much the prices and shipping costs have gone up since I was last really active. I remember buying boxed games for like 10$ and getting free shipping. Now each game costs 30$ minimum and shipping is 15$.

So anyway all that said how have things been here? How's everyone's collections going.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 18, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi KC, welcome back!

I'm not very active here either these days, too much RL getting in the way of retro. My family and I are preparing to move interstate so I've sold most of my collection and it feels good to have the weight of all that stuff off my shoulders. I've kept a small collection of treasures and a couple of machines - C64, Socket 7, boxed PAS16, etc.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 18, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2022-10-30, 22:41:

My family and I are preparing to move interstate so I've sold most of my collection

I'm moving interstate too in a few weeks, but all of my collections are coming with me. It's fairly embarrassing when 90% of my belongings are games or gaming machines.

Reply 4 of 18, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My life's been a depressing mess, but I'm alive I guess.

Haven't really been all that active on these forums either myself, mostly just watch various people on Twitch that call themselves "retro streamers". I've been meaning to get into streaming myself more regularly but finding something to actually *do* is the problem.

A lot of my old retro hardware and consoles have been stored very poorly in a crummy garage since my family sold our large house to move to a smaller one half way across town and now I myself are in a even smaller house that is closer to where we originally lived here, but hardly any of my stuff is here, still lying around aimlessly in that garage. The Vectrex doesn't power on so I'm not surprised if everything else has been rendered useless. I have no tools or components to fix any of these things to working order.

My father having terminal colon cancer isn't helping my life any either.

I pretty much have to walk quite a sizeable distance to their house whenever nobody is picking up the phone and I've become worried.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 18, by beav

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm a lurker and have been forever it seems. I finally signed up. I just never seem to have anything to add. I am currently working on a Tyan Cub 100 board and got it to post last night. It had some sketchy bodges , poor soldering, and a few bad traces. Also got a A-Trend board to post the other night as well. So I have two, stable, slot 1 motherboards to build on. Probably use a 266 MM-X and a celron in them. As far as OS, not sure yet. Probably a minimal Slackware and Windows 98SE configuration. I also have an unopened OS/2 Warp 3 but not sure if I'm up for that frustration. Just need to pick out sound cards, GPU's, memory, drives, etc.

Reply 6 of 18, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I may have just scored a pentium 1 366 :p

Welcome back!

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 18, by beav

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DracoNihil wrote on 2022-10-31, 08:46:
My life's been a depressing mess, but I'm alive I guess. […]
Show full quote

My life's been a depressing mess, but I'm alive I guess.

Haven't really been all that active on these forums either myself, mostly just watch various people on Twitch that call themselves "retro streamers". I've been meaning to get into streaming myself more regularly but finding something to actually *do* is the problem.

A lot of my old retro hardware and consoles have been stored very poorly in a crummy garage since my family sold our large house to move to a smaller one half way across town and now I myself are in a even smaller house that is closer to where we originally lived here, but hardly any of my stuff is here, still lying around aimlessly in that garage. The Vectrex doesn't power on so I'm not surprised if everything else has been rendered useless. I have no tools or components to fix any of these things to working order.

My father having terminal colon cancer isn't helping my life any either.

I pretty much have to walk quite a sizeable distance to their house whenever nobody is picking up the phone and I've become worried.

I feel ya. Hang in there, life throws us curve balls and we need to be patient and wait for our pitch. This is a tough time of year for me and I tend to get in a dark place. The darkness has been reeling it's ugly head of late. Wife is always bitching at me, she is worse when I am down, almost as if she trying to snap it out of me. I always manage to get through it and this year should be no different. I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have my photography to fall back on. Thoughts and prayers for you.

Reply 9 of 18, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-31, 10:38:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-10-31, 10:30:

Welcome back!

Is it one of them fake Golden Tigers ?

Pentium 1 366mhz The Infamous Golden Tiger/Warrior

Indeed!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 10 of 18, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm doing alright, I recently kinda quit my destiny 2 addiction which has left me more time for other games and also I took the time today to just walk around my backyard. As for my collection, I have a bunch of various retro machines and only one of them actually fully works and can be used right now but it has a celery.

Reply 12 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-10-31, 16:20:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-31, 10:38:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-10-31, 10:30:

Welcome back!

Is it one of them fake Golden Tigers ?

Pentium 1 366mhz The Infamous Golden Tiger/Warrior

Indeed!

Woah I'd never even heard of such a thing before, very cool!!

Reply 13 of 18, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm alright I guess. For a while now I haven't been very active either, but these days I'm working on the most vanilla W98 build ever and I'm having a great time.

For some reason I keep buying sound cards, too. 🤷

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 14 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you all for the kind greetings. To be honest I've regretted selling my Packard Bell collection since I did it back in 2018. Sometimes more acutely than others but I'm in a better position than I was then despite having less free time and no longer having good places to pick things out of the E-Waste like I used to (Local scrappers and Ebay sellers have caused E Waste facilities to start getting the police involved it got so bad during Covid, not to mention Ebay sellers scouring the local Goodwills and thriftshops to death now that 8 bit guy and LGR have told everyone where to look). It means that I won't be rolling in parts and computers like I was before but instead this time around I'll have to play the games I'm collecting and enjoy the one or two machines I have more than I would have before.

Sorry to hear about some of you fellow oldbies who aren't doing well or who have also mostly fallen out of the hobby, especially you DracoNil I'm sorry to hear about your father and everything. Hopefully things will get better in the near future.

Reply 15 of 18, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote on 2022-11-02, 07:02:

Sorry to hear about some of you fellow oldbies who aren't doing well or who have also mostly fallen out of the hobby, especially you DracoNil I'm sorry to hear about your father and everything. Hopefully things will get better in the near future.

I'm not very optimistic, but thanks nonetheless.

Most of the hobby for me is more the games and software more than having actual working old hardware at this point though.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 16 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote on 2022-11-02, 14:18:

Most of the hobby for me is more the games and software more than having actual working old hardware at this point though.

This is honestly more what I'm trying to work towards, hopefully I can learn to appreciate the games as much as I loved tinkering with new systems. It became waaay too much about hoarding hardware at the end I think.

Reply 17 of 18, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I lost interest in games a few years ago, so I haven't actually done much with my old computers recently. I don't have much else to use them for besides games, and I haven't felt like buying better hardware just for games. For now, my "collection" is going to stay two ultra-low-end computers, one business laptop, a dead motherboard that I might fix some day, and a few spare parts.

Reply 18 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lti wrote on 2022-11-04, 03:52:

I lost interest in games a few years ago, so I haven't actually done much with my old computers recently. I don't have much else to use them for besides games, and I haven't felt like buying better hardware just for games. For now, my "collection" is going to stay two ultra-low-end computers, one business laptop, a dead motherboard that I might fix some day, and a few spare parts.

That's kinda what's happened to me to, I hit my late 20's and realized I never play any of the games I'm hoarding. But this time around I'm definitely going to because I can't hoard hardware anymore. 🤣