VOGONS

First post, by NightShadowPT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

I'm having stability problems with my Compaq Deskpro /M and after some troubleshooting I've been striking out possible problems.
One of the stronger candidates now is the Power Supply, but unfortunately this is a proprietary unit, and procuring a spare one to test is like finding unobtanium.

Looking at the power supply, nothing is immediately popping up into my "untrained" eyes, and I cannot see any capacitors leaking or bulging.

I know it is hard to make an assessment just looking at photos, but I am sharing with you a few photos just in case someone can help me spotting something obvious that may have evaded me.

Attachments

• CPQ_Power_Supply_1.jpg
    Filename
    CPQ_Power_Supply_1.jpg
    File size
    634.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • CPQ_Power_Supply_2.jpg
    Filename
    CPQ_Power_Supply_2.jpg
    File size
    630.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • CPQ_Power_Supply_3.jpg
    Filename
    CPQ_Power_Supply_3.jpg
    File size
    580.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • CPQ_Power_Supply_4.jpg
    Filename
    CPQ_Power_Supply_4.jpg
    File size
    582.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • CPQ_Power_Supply_5.jpg
    Filename
    CPQ_Power_Supply_5.jpg
    File size
    487.24 KiB
    Views
    File license

NightShadowPT
----------------
Compaq Deskpro M 486/66 - 64MB Ram - Compaq QVision 1MB - Orpheus II Sound
Card - 4GB SCSI HDD + 4GB CF Card - SCSI CD-ROM Plextor PX-32TSi - Adaptec WideSCSI AHA-2740W - 3COM Etherlink III Card

Reply 1 of 3, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the pictures look good and it looks healthy
in such a case i would recommend try another wall socket; temporary test and a surge protector.
re inserting ram and addon cards gently can help.
a test of ram and hard disk can help also.

Reply 2 of 3, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Stability problems can also come from connectors, loose connectors, slightly corroded connectors, halfway inserted connectors, damaged connectors, overheated connectors, oxidized connectors,...
if you think it's a voltage problem, yet the psu voltages all measure ok, as in, you measure the voltages directly on the psu connector and they're all ok.
Then you should try to measure the voltages at some of the furthest points away from the psu.
It will be a bit tricky to find some good points to measure but, looking up some datasheets for chips can be really helpful in such cases.
The main voltage to check on older (AT or from the same era) computers would be the 5v line.
It should measure close to 5v all over the board. If it is like 4,6v, I would call it suspect, especially if you measure 5v at the psu. Anything lower is definitely going to be a problem.

oh and don't just pick the last (e)isa slot to measure the voltages, that's too easy and not indicative enough.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 3, by NightShadowPT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Thanks for pitching in and for your proposals.

It seems I have found the problem, and it was not related with the Power Supply...

... it was the CPU.

I have procured an Intel 486DX2/66 to replace the Cyrix cx486 DX2 - 66 I had in place and all of a sudden, the system became stable.
I've been abusing it for 3 days and it's rock solid.

I never suspected of the CPU because in 30 year of working with PCs, this is the first CPU that has ever failed me, especially in such a weird way.

Well, living and learning.

Thanks again for trying to help. This is what makes this community great.

Cheers,

NightShadowPT
----------------
Compaq Deskpro M 486/66 - 64MB Ram - Compaq QVision 1MB - Orpheus II Sound
Card - 4GB SCSI HDD + 4GB CF Card - SCSI CD-ROM Plextor PX-32TSi - Adaptec WideSCSI AHA-2740W - 3COM Etherlink III Card