VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Santyago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have a problem with the constant lighting of the hdd led activity on DOS. This is normal?
The problem does not occur in DOS 6.22 and after running Windows, but back to DOS, led lightng constant again.

• Pure DOS 6.22 - is ok
  • Pure DOS from W95 and W98 - constant lighting
  • On running W95 and W98 - is ok
  • After quick from W98 to DOS - constant lighting

Reply 4 of 9, by czeci

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I got the same problem, even worse because HDD LED is active since power up and only go off when Windows 98 is fully loaded, so DOS 6.22 or 7.1 in command prompt makes HDD LED stuck at active ..and it doesn't matter if I load any program or search in folders it's just shining red.

Reply 5 of 9, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe too little ram, constant swapping - esp if DOS is launched from within windows?

Alternately some file compression on the partition in windows that takes place in the background?

Reply 6 of 9, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the LED constantly lit without any pulsing (which may indicate electric problem) or flashing rapidly, which suggests HDD activity?

> Only pure 7.1 DOS from Windows 98. Maybe SmartDrive is emebeded in DOS7?

No it's not.

Reply 7 of 9, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had this issue and it was caused by my CD-ROM drive - if you have one installed then try not loading the driver and see if that makes a difference. If it is that, then there's a little app that resets a CD-ROM drive and that fixed it for me. CDBEQUIET or something like that?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9 of 9, by czeci

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2022-11-07, 05:42:

I had this issue and it was caused by my CD-ROM drive - if you have one installed then try not loading the driver and see if that makes a difference. If it is that, then there's a little app that resets a CD-ROM drive and that fixed it for me. CDBEQUIET or something like that?

Thanks, disconnecting optical drive fixed the issue, so the next issue to fix is that I missing optical drive now 😁